Corsair Community

Should i even bother with a Cosair SSD ?

OFarrell86

Now ive got my eye on a Corsair Force series 3 120 GB SATA 3 SSD, BUT ive read so many posts on here complaining about Corsair SSD's and on other sites praising the M4 SSD for its reliability over pretty much everything on the market.

Should i wait a year or more for Corsair to improve ?

Keep in mind that you will see more issues posted in a support forum as that is why most people are here. That said, based on sales numbers, most people that buy our drives have no issues at all. The choice is yours.

True but i do some part time work at a computer shop and we get a lot of customers coming in, enthusiast gamers and such who want SSD's and when we give them the choice of SSD i.e force, M4, vertex etc... they pretty much always say "please not the Corsair, ill take the M4".

Now after reading these forums and having heard the comments from customers at my part time job im not convinced Corsair are reliable in the SSD department but i do understand you have to promote your product and your not going to say "it is suxxor dont buy it" :p:

Well, I'm not sure what other answer you would expect from us. If you care to take a look at the actual number of individuals posting here, and not the number of threads or views, you'll see that the overall number is not large. However, the threads get long and have lots of views. As I said, the choice is yours.

Well, I'm not sure what other answer you would expect from us. If you care to take a look at the actual number of individuals posting here, and not the number of threads or views, you'll see that the overall number is not large. However, the threads get long and have lots of views. As I said, the choice is yours.

ok well heres a question for you as a potential buyer which do you think is more reliable, the M4 or the Corsair force 3 ?

Would I buy it again?

Absolutely not!

Ps, mine seems to be stable for now (touch wood).... and seems to be fast!

It is just too much trouble to get it to do what it should do out of the box. I am not a technical expert on these things but I have built a fair few PCs for friends & family over the years and I have never, ever had so much trouble with a component like this one has caused me.

If this worked out of the box like it does now I would be full of praise for it, but sadly it didn't. I had to get in touch with Symantec & Microsoft a quite a few times because of the amount of erase & reinstalls I did.

Will

willy: Update to firmware 1.3.2 if you haven't already.

ofarrell: Please do not go around the filter as per the rules of the forum, thanks. In regards to your question to Yellowbeard, it's safe to say he's biased :) Also, he's already posted that he personally hasn't had any issues with multiple Force 3/GT drives on a couple of his motherboards.

I really dont understand it, do corsair not want customers ??? if your going to bring something out, make it reliable, oh well guess ill be getting the ******** M4 instead then.

If you want to settle for less performance, that is a good option. And, since it is a competitor's drive, there's no need whatsoever to discuss it any longer here in the Corsair forums. ;):

@OP:

The problem is not whether Corsair SSDs are reliable or not? It is whether Sandforce drives will play nice with your system or not? Sandforce and AMD seem to go well together. Sandforce and Intel not so well. That said, the latest Sandforce drives do appear to be the fastest on the market at the present moment. But if you have an Intel system it'd be better not to risk it and look elsewhere other than Sandforce.

Have you checked out the forum for the M4's manufacture? Not exactly a total love-fest.

But dude, come on, do you post on AMD's forum asking if you should wait for BD or buy a Sandy Bridge CPU, and expect them to say Sandy? If you got that answer, it would be from the worlds dumbest moderator, whom is also now unemployed.

The AMD systems aren't problem free either ( http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=98878&highlight=sb850+bsod ). If the borrowed SF 2k drive will be stable ( have your boss leave it for more than a few days if you can ) it's very very likely that any SF 2k drive will be ok on your system so you're fine :) I did a similar test and the borrowed drive worked like a charm. When I actually got mine it started BSODing from 1st day :P

Honestly, I wouldn't.

I'm on my second Nova2 now... Newegg only supports exchange on these drives for now obvious reasons. I've finally been able to configure the drive and Intel RST properly, and when it works right, it's awesome! Incredibly fast loading of everything I use. The problem is the random write times are SO BAD that any form of multitasking will make a few seconds task take a few minutes. I just installed adobe reader while browsing and listening to a streaming radio station. It might have taken longer than the 5 minutes it did, but I was fortunately able to eventually open the intel management utility and disable "acceleration", which essentially took the SSD out of the equation. Install finished immediately thereafter.

I can confirm that when equipment works as you expect it to, you quietly enjoy it; when there's an issue you're highly likely to seek help or just publicly complain about it. So in general you should weight positive comments more heavily than negative ones. However, the odds I've received two bad drives exhibiting the same issues either indicates unacceptable failure rates or simply bad product. The only saving grace is a quick toggle, thanks to Intel.

edit: I'm using the drive purely as cache, everything else is on the Seagate HDD, which, while I was waiting for my replacement from Newegg I used with better overall system performance.

I'm one of the members that was having no end of troubles with a Force 3 and a Force GT. It seems that 1.3.2 fixed it for me. Was it frustrating? Absolutely. Was it all Corsair's fault? No, Sandforce takes a large part of the blame along with the absolutely horrible state of the SATA specification (both physical and logical signalling). After reading some details about SATA, I'm now surprised we users don't have even more problems than we see.

Even while I was griping about the Force series, I still felt Corsair generally made quality products; I purchased both Corsair RAM and a power supply during my tribulations.

Is the M4 better? Maybe, but people are having problems with them as well. The 2 controllers have different performance rankings depending on the test. The Sandforce design is better suited to the way I use my main computer and that is why I chose to go with an SF-2281 even though I heard there were issues.

Sandforce takes a large part of the blame along with the absolutely horrible state of the SATA specification (both physical and logical signalling). After reading some details about SATA, I'm now surprised we users don't have even more problems than we see.

Sandforce controller is still too immature for product launch, but they still did it anyway because I think they're trying to grab market share as much as possible. The early bird catch the worm. Just looking at their complex issues in so many areas, I'm not surprised if they were just doing a simple beta-testing before launch. The users are the real beta-testers and we pay for their expenses. I think that is a very common practice nowadays. Reducing cost while maximizing profits. A corporate strategy that always put the buyers as the loosers :D:

I have no problem with my Force3, but I personally won't buy another Sandforce-controller based SSD for sure. I've thrown the dice once, and I won. But I realize I can't always win in a gamble.

Glad there are so many happy Force SSD users! Don't get me wrong, I've used some fantastic Corsair products over the years and I'm a big fan of the brand. However, I had REAL trouble with my Force SSD, I don't think Corsair have got this right by a long, long way (Sandforce controller or whatever reason) and what is needed is very clear advice about potential controller/compatibility/firmware etc issues (so purchasers are very, very clear - i.e. before they part with their cash) rather publishing than one so-called 'fix' after another and another.

When you consider the number of variables at play here (mobo controller/drivers, SSD controller, chipset/drivers, on and on, it's a wonder any of these drives work as advertised. My M4 screams on my AMD 890FX system, the Force 3 not so much. Even though the Corsair product is less perky on my system, it still beats the holy living crap out of the fastest spinner I've had (WD Velociraptor), so the way I see it, I'm still ahead.

Archived