Corsair Community

H60 Pump Noise

Embattle

As the other threads have described I too am suffering from the pump noise which sounds like an old HD accessing all the time. I installed it yesterday and noticed the noise straight away since the noise is quite different from the fans and rather annoying.

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/7244/dsc0001seq.jpg

The image above shows the unit, the tower is technically on its side in this image since I was testing to see if the noise goes away and it does but it returns right away when the case is returned to its natural vertical position.

I've removed the radiator and held it above which didn't seem to affect the noise from the pump, only putting the case on its side seems to make it silent.

I take it this might well be some trapped air but could it be something else?

How long should it take to clear?

Has anyone here actually had it clear?

• Corsair Employees

What was the case number and I can check the RMA request for you?

And it may be just some air trapped in the system that will cause the pump cavitation and make a sound like you are describing, try running the system laying on its side for a few hours and then turn it right side up see if the noise goes away? If not then lets proceed with the RMA but only of its so loud you can hear it with the case closed and above all of the other fan noise. They may not be totally quiet.

Thanks for the reply, the case is #2309032 although I've now had my first reply.

I did lay the case on its side for an hour or so and after doing various orientations for the pump/cold plate, all of which didn't improve the situation, I decided to put the stock Intel cooler on. I then started up my computer up with the h60 plugged in to a spare 3pin and I tried multiple positions to get the pump rattle to go silent.

I expect a hum from a pump like the one it makes when on its side, not the rattle it makes when vertical which I find easy to detect even with the noise from the various case fans which naturally hum.

I tried a lot of things trying to make it go away so I wouldn't have to send it back since using a stock Intel cooler isn't ideal :p

PS Now got another email from RMA.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a FT03 with the cooler in the same position. Try lowering the pump fan speed/voltage by moving the pump to a chassis plug and adjusting the rpm speed. The 'pump noise' for my H60 went away at 70%/3100-3200rpm. No effects to CPU temperature.

UPDATE: I got around to finally pushing my computer and so far 3200rpm appears to be sufficient at cooling a stock CPU. I ran PRIME95 (i5-2500k@stock 3.3~3.7) and temperature was topping off at a manageable 48~50degrees (ambient/motherboard 28~30degrees). I suppose ~50degrees isn't so bad but I'm not completely sold on the whole 'down clocking' the pump solution. I just don't know if 3200rpm will be enough to cool the cpu especially when the pump was designed to run at ~4000rpm.

Sigh. I shouldn't have to worry about under-clocking the pump.

20111106_205522.jpg.752e4a811fd849e8a44dcf1adb5916b2.jpg

Another rattling H60 here..

System has been up for 4 days now with the H60 and no change to the noise. Have tried the "case on it's side for few hours", no help.

Seems like there's air trapped, if I open the case and tap the waterblock (quite hard) the noise stops for 0.5-2 seconds.. veery irritating. :sigh!:

Do you guys have cases with like no fans installed or something?

I mean the rattling noise is ALWAYS there at full speed, However, it shouldn't be loud enough to bypass your normal 120mm fans inside the case.

I only hear when i literally put my ears right next to the case.

As Scott Summers said above, the real solution in most cases is to lower the pump speed. Either through the BIOS if you can or through a fan modulator (costs 10$ at max). The pump at 2000-3000rpm is close to perfectly silent. No effect on CPU temp as far as I can tell (and I guess you can expect longer lifespan for the pump too).

@Youngd8: using high quality silent fans (8dBA) my computer does not make any noise 1 meter away and I like it this way :D:

I have read alot about the backplate being loose.

could that be the issue?

or is the actual sound coming from the pump?

Here are the Pic's of the Mod for the Backplate.

1mm thick, nylon washers cut into a little square to fit under the t-nuts.

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m545/jefpaas/IMG_8817.jpg

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m545/jefpaas/IMG_8821.jpg

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m545/jefpaas/IMG_8822.jpg

JP

jef, Good idea for achieving the appropriate spacing for the backplate nuts. This issue occurs on a small number of boards, that are thinner than usual. It would be helpful if you could post what mother board you use that needed this mod.

I wonder about your idea of a loose pump caused by a thin mother board creating the noise. It would seem to make some sense in that with a PC case in the horizontal position, gravity would pull the pump down, reducing or stopping any vibration. In the normal vertical position, the pump would be relatively looser and possibly vibrate audibly. I'm not saying that this is what is happening, just considering the idea.

Scott, I am skeptical that air or bubbles in the pump is the only cause of pump related noise. IMO, how could pump noise start immediately after moving the case from the horizontal to vertical position, since it would take at least a few seconds for bubbles to move into the pump. Only speculation, since I really don't know what is happening inside the pump, tubes, etc, and I have never had this issue myself with two H60's.

i'm have the new Asus p8z68-z pro.

i pick up my CPU in two weeks, and i wish i had never found these forums.

this is my first build and i really wasn't anticipating having issues with NEW computer components.

the 1mm washers worked perfectly, the t-nuts only pertruded past the MOBO the slightest of fractions and caused the backplate to rattle when i was installing the studs. nevermind the pump.

and yes in the 1st pic, the reflection on the left is me flipping the bird.

JP

Archived