Corsair Community

H60 Pump Rattle

nubbert

I just got a H60 installed to replace a $25 air cooler and there is a continuous rattle coming from the pump. It's louder than the cheap dual fan air cooler it replaced with both fans plugged directly to the PSU (running full speed) and much more annoying.

The only way I can get it to stop the noise is by slowing the pump down with speed fan to about 70%. That slows the pump RPM from 4300 to 2500 so I'm not sure that's a good idea. I let the pump run at full speed for a few days to see if it would stop but it didn't change.

My rad is mounted with the hoses at the top because otherwise the rad blocks my PCI-E slot. Could this be the issue? I saw on the forums that it can be mounted either way.

So is it OK to run it at a lower speed I should I RMA it?

Thanks for the replies.

I will try it with the hoses at the bottom of the rad and if it still does it then I'll RMA it because it's way too loud at anything over 70%. If turning the rad around solves the problem then I'll just have to put my GPU in the other slot I guess.

I took a quick video, not the best quality but you get the idea. As you can see when I unplug the pump the noise goes away. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD_3vw-QOZM

Unplugging the fan makes no difference. It is definitely the pump making the noise, it's much more noticeable in real life.

I think a vibration would be of a higher frequency and not as distinct. Not as easy to tell from the video as when you actually hear it.

I'm pretty busy with school at the moment so I'll probably try some different positioning and such on the weekend.

• Corsair Employees
I would try and lay the system on its side and see if the noise goes away, but they may not be totally quiet but if it persists and you can hear it above all the other fan noise then please use the link on the left and request an RMA and we can replace it.

Hey all. Very first post here.

I was reading these forums to see if people were having the same issue I was.

And I saw this thread. Although my pump was not as loud as in the OPs' video.

So I regeistered just to reply with what solved the problem for me.

I do not know if this has been metioned.

But here is what I did.

I took the "Corsair" cap off the pump and tapped the very center of the pump at the black center inside the pcb with a screwdriver around the edges. Kinda like pushing in a bearing on a skate wheel. Not hard.

But enough to make whatever the little plastic cap that is there stop vibrating. The plastic there feels thin.

But the annoying buzz went away.

Maybe corsair could try using a more dense material in that spot?

Just a heads up.

So what is it exactly? A physical vibration on a loose part that is causing the noise or something inside the pump itself like air? I'm having the same issue, but mine is not constant like in the video. Mine happens randomly but often enough to be annoying.

I also just found that slowing the pump eliminates the noise.

EDIT: I just did a little experiment. If I slow my pump to 97%-98% speed, the noise goes away. Pump speed falls between 4115 - 4200. At 100% my pump speed is 4300 - 4350.

Is it possible that differences in motherboard fan headers and power supplies that it may be providing too much voltage to the pump which makes the pump run faster than it's supposed to thus causing the noise?

I also just found that slowing the pump eliminates the noise.

EDIT: I just did a little experiment. If I slow my pump to 97%-98% speed, the noise goes away. Pump speed falls between 4115 - 4200 instead of 4300+.

Is it possible that differences in motherboard fan headers and power supplies that it may be providing too much voltage to the pump which makes the pump run faster than it's supposed to thus causing the noise?

How many RPM work without noise?

Around 4200 RPM for me. 98% according to ASUS AI Suite.

In my motherboard Asus P8Z68-V pro even if I try to lower the fan speed of the cpu, I get no effect perhaps due to lack of the fourth wire on the connector.

Sorry for me terrible english.

Archived