Corsair Community

Bad batch H100

Nezoid

(tldr last paragraph)

So after doing research I purchased a H100 yesterday, have yet to install it completely as I still awaiting parts. So more of a case fitting to see how awesome it looked.

Anywho, I noticed how the H100 was on Toms Hardware news feed, and it was due to the bad batch of H100's. So I look at my box, low and behold I have a "bad" H100. So I tested it just by hooking power to it from the out side of my old computer and tested the profiles and the fans speeds do change.

Now to the question, knowing I have a "bad" batch, should I just return it to the store and look for a good one or wait to this one to fail. Is it likely for it to fail sooner or later?

Yes, it's probably the best idea to return your H100 now, given that is from the affected batch. If it goes bad once installed, it's more work to remove it, and even if it does work fine, it may not do so forever, and you'll always be wondering about it. Corsair probably would prefer that all the affected units be returned sooner than later, and likely want all of them back.

The percentage of units from that batch that will fail is unknown AFAIK, and it is impossible to predict if and when a failure could occur. From the post's seen here, they seem to fail not to long after they are first used, but putting a number on that is impossible.

So, the affected models are "11359403," it appears then.

Mine is "11309403," assuming mine is a previous batch, but still not affected by this?

I've had two units with that batch number (11309403) fail. Both units died in exactly the same way as outlined below.

The 3 Profile lights no longer work, the person is lit. The two fan headers to the left of the Corsair sign are dead, the first on the right starts, runs up to 100% then stops in a continual 15-20sec loop, the last one runs at 100% all the time.

Resetting of the firmware has not worked. (I even tried with the pump being the only thing connected to the PSU so I could guarantee no heat getting to it other than what the pump would emit.)

Anyway, Corsair support has assisted by sending out two new units to me today (hopefully)

It’s not just the H100 that has a problem. I’m on my second H80. The first one lasted 3 weeks and the pump stopped working. Fortunately I was able to RMA too Newegg for a refund. The second unit lasted a week and the fan controller stopped working, no fans and no lights. As of now I have the Rad fans connected to the MB, works, but the pump runs loud, tolerable, but not right. Still weighing my options too either order another one or go back to air. Don’t really want too go air since the temps on my 2600k are so darn low.. 29c idle 45c stressed.

It’s not just the H100 that has a problem. I’m on my second H80. The first one lasted 3 weeks and the pump stopped working. Fortunately I was able to RMA too Newegg for a refund. The second unit lasted a week and the fan controller stopped working, no fans and no lights. As of now I have the Rad fans connected to the MB, works, but the pump runs loud, tolerable, but not right. Still weighing my options too either order another one or go back to air. Don’t really want too go air since the temps on my 2600k are so darn low.. 29c idle 45c stressed.

I'd be interested to know what RPM your pump is running at since your failure of your fan profiler. After my fan profile stopped working my pump has been running at a constant variable speed of 3792/4041.

I'd be interested to know what RPM your pump is running at since your failure of your fan profiler. After my fan profile stopped working my pump has been running at a constant variable speed of 3792/4041.

Wow, a H100 pump running at ~4000RPM? That is way over the (officially not-spec'd but known) ~2000 RPM speed for H80 and H100 pumps. That speed is in the low range for a H60 pump. If that pump speed is being reported correctly, it seems that the H100's pump speed may be software controlled, very interesting.

Your report of that (odd) pump speed for a H100 is the first one I've seen in this forum. Yes, we need more reports on H100 pump speeds when the fan controlling software crashes. Or this is yet another side effect of the bad batch of H100's.

Can't tell you the speed, rpm not shown in BIOS or MB monitor. it's louder then all fans in sys. that much I know.

• 2 months later...

How is it even POSSIBLE that Corsair RMA's my defective H100, one from batch 11359483, then sends me a replacement from batch 11359403? Did they just send me another bad unit? Do I even dare to install it?

WTF?

It's already been a MONTH since I purchased the H100, sent it back, and received a replacement. Now ANOTHER RMA?

• 3 weeks later...

After about a month my Corsair H100 (BATCH NUMBER 11359483) has some of the same issues described above:

The lights on the Fan Controller have only the man lit up.

The Fan speeds were erradict high speed.

Fan Profiles do not work.

I tried Ram Guy's firmware reset multiple times (even did a 2+ hour memtest while I rebuilt my previous computer) but had no luck.

I since plugged the H100 Fans into CPU Fan and CPU Fan Opt to try to control them with my motherboard software to no avail. The RPM's are ~2580 and ~2380~ respectively.

The PUMP fan connector I plugged into my PWRFAN1 slot since it's just reporting data and I read a constant ~3780 RPM. Haven't put the CPU under load though since my unit is malfunctioning,...

Just thought I'd share my batch number and RPM speeds. Will RMA.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

just adding my tuppance to this - mine failed as well - had the variable fan speed isasue which I had pt down to the profile picking up the increase in cpu temp, may be mabe not.

Anyway its now DEAD, no light no fans running & as far as I can tell NO PUMP, bios says N/A for rpm & TJmaxs in about 2 mins from cold

batch numeber 11289403

been running since August so about 5 months to the day

Archived