Corsair Community

NOVICE needs help with which ram to buy..

Bill Ferguson

Hello: I am a complete computer novice, and only know I want my Dell 4600C to edit my photographs faster. This is what I have now: Windows XP 120GIG HD 2 X 256MB DDR 333MHZ PC2700U made by ProMos. This is what came from the factory. Here are my questions: Can I buy 2 X 512MB DDR 400MHX PC3200?. or do I need to match what I have now as far as 333MHX at PC2700? Which would you suggest I use? Is RAM easy to install? Not physically I mean, but do you have to reprogram anything when you upgrade? I know these are basic questions, but please help. Thanks, Bill Ferguson

Memory is one of the easiest things to install because there is nothing to install on the software side. I would not recommend mixing memory types with the chipset used in the DELL 4600C. Before I can recommend a memory upgrade, I need to know which CPU you have installed in the system. Is it the 2.8GHz or 3.06GHz with 533MHz FSB, or is it one of 2.8GHz, 3GHz or 3.2GHz with 800MHz FSB? The key is the FSB (Front Side Bus) speed. Also, from the information on the DELL website, it looks like they may supply the system with an 800MHz FSB chip, but install PC2700 memory, thus slowing down the system a little bit. So, basically, which CPU is installed in the sytem? [url]http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dimen_4600c?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs[/url]

Archived