Corsair Community

Are there anyone who doesn't experience issues with Corsair Force 3 120GB?

Sane

I've been thinking about buying a Corsair Force 3 120GB for some days, but after reading about some issues with it I decided to visit these forums. It directly hit me that a lot of people seems to have issues with it!

So my question is, are there any people who don't have issues with Force 3 120GB? Please post here and tell me your experiences, did it work out of the box or did you make it work? Do you recommend it?

Out of the box, mine have worked perfectly on an ASUS P67 Sabertooth, a MIVE-Z Z68 board, and a Lenovo using the H67 chipset. It required no tweaking or special sauce or voodoo rituals to make them run as singles or in RAID-0 on the MOBOs. If I had bought these, I would be very satisfied as they are extremely fast and stable on all 3 of these machines. This was with firmware 1.2, 1.3, and 1.3.2 on the MOBOs.

I use both the P67 and Z68 machines daily. On the Z68 machine, I have had the exact same success with Force GT drives also.

Just a side note, I did have that initial freezing issue on the H67 with 1.2 but it was resolved with 1.3. I have not tested 1.3.2 on the Lenovo. I am using the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach.

I updated to 1.3.2 last night after my BSOD. I will report back if it works. I'm skeptical because there are no release notes for 1.3.2 that indicate it would fix the SandForce 3 BSOD issue.
Yellowbeard already responded to you:
There's an update 1.3.2 firmware posted for the GTs in the firmware update section. The info in the change log is the only information that I can share.

I installed a Force GT 120 (FW 1.3 now 1.3.2) to replace a corsair P128 (FW 19C) last week and its been running basically 24/7 since then. As YB reported, no voodoo needed. If anything I made the install harder as I didnt want a fresh install of Win 7, and I needed to clone the P128 to the GT 120.

I have had NO problems with either Corsair SSD so far. The P128 was on my main gaming pc for 2 yrs.

With the newegg promo code and $30 rebate from Corsair, I spent $180 US for the GT 120. To me, a very good buy.

Good luck.

i am using an Force 3 120gb and it runs pretty smooth

the only problem appears when TRIM start to work...

if i install something on the ssd, i know that i will have problems...

so far installing programs didn't got me any BSODs but yesterday i installed BF3 on the SSD and today i got BSOD

it's really strange, if i use the tool from CCleaner to erase the free space i get problems

Besides that it runs perfect, and i am running on Firmware 1.3.0

i am using an Force 3 120gb and it runs pretty smooth

the only problem appears when TRIM start to work...

if i install something on the ssd, i know that i will have problems...

so far installing programs didn't got me any BSODs but yesterday i installed BF3 on the SSD and today i got BSOD

it's really strange, if i use the tool from CCleaner to erase the free space i get problems

Besides that it runs perfect, and i am running on Firmware 1.3.0

Update to 1.3.2.

I've had an F120 for ~8 months on a P55 based Asus board with no issues whatsoever.

Now I'm rocking a Force GT 120 on a Gigabyte Z68 board with no problems either for 4 weeks so far. I have a nice 4.6ghz overclock going and I even restored my win7 x64 install from an HDD image.

The only things I did to be proactive about the SSD issues were:

Clear CMOS before physically installing ForceGT

Run WEI after HDD image restore

And then of course did the regular tweaks like disabling prefetch/superfetch, pagefile (located on the ssd) @ 1GB, disable windows search etc.

Actually I was kind of... well, I wouldn't say hoping, but rather reluctantly expecting to see the SF bug in action so that I had the opportunity to work with it myself. But rather disappointing it hasn't shown it's ugly head yet (altho from what I can read on various forums, it might. I may even have jinxed my luck so far by writing this :p:)

The only thing I've come across so far which seems to be some sort of "issue" is that Auslogics Disk Defrag doesn't recognize my C: drive as an SSD and hence won't hide the drive even if configured to do so in the options. Might just be a bug in the application itself.

Oh, that and I have only 38GB of free space left. I really should've gone with a 240GB model but they're just so darn expensive :D:

I've had an F120 for ~8 months on a P55 based Asus board with no issues whatsoever.

Now I'm rocking a Force GT 120 on a Gigabyte Z68 board with no problems either for 4 weeks so far. I have a nice 4.6ghz overclock going and I even restored my win7 x64 install from an HDD image.

The only things I did to be proactive about the SSD issues were:

Clear CMOS before physically installing ForceGT

Run WEI after HDD image restore

Nice, I've got an Asus P55 motherboard too. Just wondering, why clear CMOS?

What is WEI and why is it necessary?

Nice, I've got an Asus P55 motherboard too. Just wondering, why clear CMOS?

What is WEI and why is it necessary?

Flushing out old data (I believe it's called DMI) makes the BIOS redetect the drives attached and reconfigures them on a low level. This clears out any corrupted data caused by e.g crashes or BIOS bugs or whatever.

WEI is Windows Experience Index introduced in Windows Vista and is included in Windows 7 as well. It's a system for rating the experience you'll have using windows 7 but it does more than just rating. Based on the results it gets, it'll adjust various system settings to optimize Win7 behavior for the current hardware.

For example, one guy in the Corsair forums switched back to his HDD from an SSD (via system image restoration), and naturally he wanted windows to manage defragmentation of his drives again, which was previously disabled on the SSD. Problem was, he couldn't "see" his drive he wanted to have defragmented because it was flagged as an SSD somewhere in the system and automatically hidden. Running WEI updated the data (kinda like the CMOS clearing) and his HDD reappeared in the list.

Don't ask me the exact number of things WEI adjusts, because I don't think anybody knows except for MS themselves. However, I do know it's a recommended step to take after installing an SSD - well, any hardware for that matter.

Archived