Corsair Community

AX1200 broke my fan fin :(

mipko

I broke one fan fin when I tried to stop the fan to check the noise problem. It was my 2nd replacement PSU which made a hell lot of squeeling noise - I wanted to check if this is due to bad bearing or coils... So I took thin pencil and stuck it to the fan :( And fin broke like glass :(

I suppose I lost my warranty ? m'I right ?

I'm so tired of this PSU...

M.

Thanks toasted, I have read that and it is obvious that this incident will void my warranty.

Bottom line is that I will pack the PSU back in the box put it in the closet and buy new one. But not Corsair this time :( I'm very very sad and disappointed.

My GPGPU setup is on hold for more than 3 weeks due AX1200 choice, what a vaste of time.

My anger and disappointment has nothing to do with Corsair tech support from this forum. Forum support is the only bright spot in AX1200 storry.

However Quality Control and engineering department are complete fail. Flagship PSU with $6 fan ?! AX 750 & AX 850 have SAN ACE Fan while AX1200 has YL :) :) Way to go Corsair... way to go...

I'd wait for RAM GUY to reply to this thread. It may be possible to get an RMA.

If not, I would consider buying a new fan for it and replace it. (A CERTIFIED ELECTRICAL GUY IS REQUIRED). Unless you know how to do it without damaging any other component.

I'd wait for RAM GUY to reply to this thread. It may be possible to get an RMA.

If not, I would consider buying a new fan for it and replace it. (A CERTIFIED ELECTRICAL GUY IS REQUIRED). Unless you know how to do it without damaging any other component.

Thanks man, believe it or not it makes me feel better when I see that someone is looking into this :)

I'm not PSU expert - I'm just BSC in Electrical Engineering :) What I can see/suspect there is some design flaw. Fan is one side of the issue, when I started my GPGPU simulation PSU started to produce fluctuating buzz and whine sound. I thought damn let's see if this is bearing or coils. So I tried to stop the fan, oddly whine stopped after the fan have stopped. Fin was broken but fan blades were free to rotate. A second before fan started to spin again whine was back. So it makes me wonder if it is fan only or fan controler is picking some EMI... damn whatever it is I never had such problems with any hardware. At the end I do not feel angry or mad, I feel pretty much sad since it makes me believe that QC does not exists any more.

Mipko, you dont need a certified person to change a fan. If your warranty is in fact void all you need to do is buy a fan and change the connector. They simply plug into a spot inside the PSU. It's no different than changing a case fan. A new fan will only cost you a few dollars.

I would wait and see if Ramguy has any in put.

last time i opened up a PSU (for fun, because it was dead). it had a red and black wire soldered on the PCB. for the Ax series i don't know if it is soldered or just a connector?

:) :)

dark clouds... :D :D

I'm not PSU expert - I'm just BSC in Electrical Engineering :) ...

However Quality Control and engineering department are complete fail...

Well, sorry to say mipko, but a BSC in EE puts a pencil in a PS to stop a fan that is likely spinning at 750 - 1000 RPM, and is surprised when the fan breaks? :eek:

I am glad that you are qualified to comment on the QC and Engineering. :rolleyes:

Well, sorry to say mipko, but a BSC in EE puts a pencil in a PS to stop a fan that is likely spinning at 750 - 1000 RPM, and is surprised when the fan breaks? :eek:

I am glad that you are qualified to comment on the QC and Engineering. :rolleyes:

It's one of those moments where you just forget everything about what will happen next and you just don't think about it and do it without thinking first.

I think that happened to him.

Usually happens when you are extremely curious.

It's one of those moments where you just forget everything about what will happen next and you just don't think about it and do it without thinking first.

Or extremely pissed :)

The other option was to block the fan, turn on the computer, wait for Windows to boot, start CUDA calc and check for noise... If you ask me it is way too much minutes without fan.

Regarding my comment about engineering and QC fail I don't need to have any school to comment that. When you see so much complaints about flagship product than something is wrong. 2/2 PSUs were unacceptable and not fulfilled advertized noise levels. So, my education aside, this PSU is complete fail for me and definitive turning point away from Corsair as brand.

M

Well... yes I can understand that. Also, being angry shuts off the "think first, then do something" part of our mind. I will also say that in my limited experience with Yate Loon fans, the fan blades seem more brittle than others. Otherwise I know that they are admired by some hardware reviewers.

This inductor or capacitor noise issue that seems to be more common recently with many manufactures is a real PITA for everyone. It doesn't seem to be an issue of cheap components, reviews I've read of the Corsair PS's for example mention the high quality capacitors used. It's difficult for me to believe it's a design issue, but who knows. I have an older mother board that starts to sing like crazy as soon as the C-State CPU power saving option is enabled. Instead of disabling EIST/SpeedStep, try disabling C-States in your BIOS, you might get lucky.

Wait for Ram Guy or apply for an RMA. I personally think you have a good chance of getting it replaced under warranty. If it is covered, then they'll pay for shipping both ways because it's a recently RMA'd item.

As for people having issues, using the forum as a data set is just bad statistical analysis. Kind of like going to a hospital and asking people how they feel and then saying the human race is getting sick at alarming rates. It's a biased data set.

As for people having issues, using the forum as a data set is just bad statistical analysis. Kind of like going to a hospital and asking people how they feel and then saying the human race is getting sick at alarming rates. It's a biased data set.

Quite true. I guess it is human nature to feel that whatever problem we have with something, it also affects everyone with that same "something". I read that all the time in forums, regardless of the product.

Psychologically, when there is an issue, you wonder if you caused it, if you did something wrong, even if you are not responsible at all. People also feel guilt and anger about the problem, as if they are being punished, why did they get a bad one? Then someone else states they have the same problem, and you are relieved you did not cause it, but to remove the guilt of having a bad one, they all become bad. Our anger then becomes justified. This is just scratching the surface, too.

Well general population stats aside, I'm the part of negative figures. 2/2 PSUs were unusable to me because of noise :( Those PSUs were advertized as near silent. What else can I think when I get 2/2 broken PSUs - flagship PSUs, not cheap ones. This is the best that Corsair can offer.

To make things worse I was waiting for first RMA # 11 days :( It is really disappointing. I know that it is not anyone's personal fault of you guys that run the forum. It is responsibility of support managers to organize things properly.

Since there is no Corsair in my country I traveled 440km in one direction to buy it. It turned defective. I have waited 9 days for RMA #. Lost my patience due to stalled job and hit the road again - new 880km for replacement. Retailer offered me refund, but I have refused that and took replacement. I believed that I was EXTREMELY unlucky and got bad lemon first time.

So I have spent both MONEY (120e trip costs each time) and TIME (8 hours of driving each time) for getting 2nd AX1200. And when I came home it turned out another much worse lemon :( I was so so sooooooo angry, disappointed and sad that I can't describe you. Cost of this PSU is breaking te bank at the moment. I had full faith in Corsair - traveled two times 880km making total trip 1760km to get this unit. Trip costs apx 250e plus 250e for PSU making grand total 500e. I had full full faith in Corsair and rejected refund and took replacement.

After few days of thinking about all of this (cooled down) I come to the point that everything is way to bad bad and bad. And maybe the best thing is to forget about it. Eat up all the costs and move on with another brand.

I learned my lesson on very hard way. My job was suffering for 3 weeks. I'm GPGPU expert (nVidia special partner) I make money with my computer. My complete GPGPU setup is on halt at the moment. I really need high power PSU since I run 2xGTX580 + C2070, other components aside. So, I'm on new quest for high power PSU. I can't afford a month for resolving this issue :(

This post does not have intention to convince anyone that AX1200 is bad PSU. It would be stupid to look at this that way. It is simply warning post that makes you aware that QC is not it used to be few years ago. Customer support is not the way it was before. Maybe I was extremely unlucky. However, I can't justify 2/2 flagship products being defective. If we turn back to the stats and probability that Admin mentioned we can calculate what are the odds to get 2/2 faulty PSUs (the best quality corsair PSU) :) Think about it and while thinking take into account Corsair advertized figures <1% RMA :)

Anyway, I really appreciate all you guys from forums for support and ideas. I will let you know how this issue is resolved. And the absolute bright spots are RAM Guy and Admins - other Corsair I won't comment since any comment will revoke bad fillings that I managed to cool down.

best regards

Mirko

Well, for my explanation regarding getting two less than perfect PS's, let's ASSUME that the factory had some parts that end up causing the noise. Again, that is just a made up reason with no basis other than for use in this explanation.

Assuming this, then your retailer would very likely have units from the same production run that used the "bad" parts. They would have been packed and shipped in the same boxes. So every one of that model they had were all the same in that aspect.

Unfortunately, when you traveled to replace your bad unit, you received another that was identical in every way, since they were all built together. So the explanation for your experience is simple, although of no help to you, sorry to say.

Unfortunately, when you traveled to replace your bad unit, you received another that was identical in every way, since they were all built together. So the explanation for your experience is simple, although of no help to you, sorry to say.

Hello Parsec,

Unfortunately those two units are from different lot and different ser#.

First one ser# is 14xxxx

Second one ser# is 16xxx

That's why I'm in such doubt regarding AX1200.

thanks

Mirko

• 4 weeks later...

Archived