Corsair Community

Problems with TWIN2X4096-6400C5 on P5Q-E

TekiusFanatikus

Specs:

• Asus P5Q-E (BIOS 2100, latest)
  • 2x4GB (TWIN2X4096-6400C5)
  • Intel Core2 Quad 8300

I'm currently running the RAM @ 667Mhz, the RAM voltage is keyed in @ 2.0V and the NB is set at default of 1.10V (1.12V didn't even boot up). This is, per what I've dug up in these forums.

I can get up to Window 7's logon screen, proceed to enter my password and it usually fails afterwards.

The system was fine using my old Pentium D 820, it's only when I switched to the Core2 Quad 8300 that I began to have problems.

In any case, any other insights would be welcomed.

I would speak with the MB Maker in this case and you may also want to check for the latest BIOS version and I would reset the BIOS and load setup defaults and start over also be sure that you disable Legacy USB when running http://www.memtest.org.

I have, for 7 times so far... I will attempt #8 tomorrow as I have to talk to a higher level of support and they're only there at specific times of the day it seems.

I have the latest BIOS and I have reset it at a multitude of times.

Would it be possible to obtain a valid list of slower timmings to try with my setup?

Thanks!

• Corsair Employee
Just got to BIOS setup and Load setup defaults and then set the memory frequency to DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.0 Volts and they should run with out problems, but we can try and replace the modules if you like just to take that out of the equation.

Just got to BIOS setup and Load setup defaults and then set the memory frequency to DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.0 Volts and they should run with out problems, but we can try and replace the modules if you like just to take that out of the equation.

Thanks for your help.

Maybe a bit of history.

I had 8GB of OCZ 8500 running with the Core2 Quad since March 2011 (they were being run on the Pentium D since a year and a half before without no issues - March 2010). I recently changed that RAM to Corsair (on the QVL) in order to attempt to resolve this issue (per Intel/Asus recommendation). I also changed the graphic card and the CPU, but the issue persisted.

I'm exhibiting the same symptoms with the Corsair, just faster. I assume that the reason for this is that the speed of this RAM is slower (went from 8500 to 6400) thus it takes less time? The other PC would crash every 48 hours (I'd leave it idling, seeding torrents and would stream videos from it to my TV for instance). With the Corsair, it stays up long enough to log in and run Virtualbox which kills it :)

Now yesterday, I lowered the FSB of the CPU to 800Mhz and was able to launch pretty much everything I wanted (Virtualbox, Eclipse, browser, etc) and it stayed up all evening without any issues (8:30pm to 10pm). However, the CPU is now running @ 1.5Ghz (from 2.5Ghz). The system still ran the VM without a hiccup and CPU didn't top out @ 100%. So, in theory I'm "good".

Before I got to lowering the FSB of the CPU to 800Mhz, I had put the voltages to 2.0V for the RAM and had lowered the speed of the memory to 667Mhz. However, it wouldn't stay up long enough to do anything productive. I tried various timings configuration (ie. 5-6-6-18) that I found here and there on the forums (related to my modules). Still nothing. Even NB was increased up to 1.3V at some point, without any success.

All this to say, my gut is telling me that the RAM is fine, even though it hasn't gone through Memtest like the OCZ (I ran the entire 8GB and individual modules (in slot 0) for several hours each time and didn't find a problem).

I can't help but think at a non technical person doing a good thing, by adding 8GB of RAM to his system, and having to fiddle with the BIOS to make it work. I'm considering upgrading to a DDR3 system in the hopes that having tons of RAM wouldn't make me jump through hoops like this. Is this the case? The build I'm looking at would be 8GB of QVL RAM @ 1600 (thus should be fine @ 1333)?

Sorry for the long winded post, figured it would help to put things in context. I'll get in touch for the last time with Asus and see what they say. I may run this memory through Memtest and get back to you as well.

Again, thanks for your help.

Archived