Corsair Community

Asus K8V Deluxe mem compatibility issues

sports_star_kev

I have an Asus k8v deluxe mother board. I have read in other forums that this mother board doesnt support two DIMMs of Corsiar memory. I bought a stick of CMX512-3200C2PT ver3.1 just the other day. It was "supposed" to work with my older stick of CMX512-3200C2PT ver1.1, however, that didnt work. I got a DIMM timing failure when attempting to boot. Also, I read the XMS buyers guide and it said that this memory would work with this particular mother board...Any ideas?

I have 1 CMX512-3200C2PRO ver1.1 and just bought a new CMX512-3200C2PRO ver4.1 (both from newegg.com) and each one alone is working fine, but together in any slot combination would fail to pass the POST with a DIMM Timing Mismatch error. I tried setting the manual BIOS settings of 2.5-3-3-7 but it still failed. I just updated the BIOS from version 1004 to version 1007, but I haven't retested using both DIMMs yet. I hope that there is some way to get it to work using these modules. Unfortunately, the BIOS upgrade wessed up WinXP since the OS was installed on the SATA drive, so I had to reinstall WinXP on the secondary IDE drive I had as a data drive. So getting 2 modules to work would make all the effort worth while. P.S. Love the forum, wish I got here before buying the memory, I would have gotten a 1GB module instead.

The upgrading of the K8V Deluxe BIOS to version 1007 worked! I have the CXM512-3200C2PRO 4.1 version in DIMM1 and the CXM512-3200C2PRO 1.1 version in DIMM3. Also I have the manual memory settings 2.5-3-3-7, but I don't know if that was required or not with the new BIOS. However a warning before upgrading your BIOS if you got version 1004 now like I did. If you're OS is using the SATA drive and you're using Win XP Pro, then be aware that the SATA settings get lost and the OS won't boot anymore. Luckly I also had a EIDE drive that I could reinstall window on to w/o effecting the data on the SATA drive. Well the good news is that I got both modules install and running, and a fresh install of Win XP Pro for the best performance!

I used your DIMM positions and they worked! I am so relieved! However, I wish that I hadnt already flashed my bios, becuase I do sata drives, and now they dont work. I dont want to lose any of the files on my drives. What do you think the best way to recover them and use the os on them? I dont have an eide drive to use...thanks for the ideas and help.

You can try to run the Windows setup from the CD again and use F6 when it shows the install SCSI controller message at the start of the install. However, I had problems with my copy of the floppy since I don't have the floppy on my PC, so I had to put a junk one temporaily to do that step. I also tried the new Win XP 64-Bit edition from Microsoft since I was installing OSes anyway. It's a free trial version, but I couldn't get the motherboard devices to work with the drivers I got from PlanetAMD64.com But if U got a extra IDE drive, install the OS on that instead of the SATA one, use them for data/applications. Also partition the drive so you can have 32-Bit and 64-Bit XP on the same PC w/o any confilcts with MyDoc and settings, ect. I got both on just 1 partition right now and it is working OK, if you stick to one or the other and don't switch alot between them. Because if the floppy driver won't work, the IDE drive is your only option. But look on he bright side, the memory is working together now! now to play with the overclocking...

Archived