Corsair Community

Probs with Dell Dimension and 4 Corsair XMS sticks

enigmad

Hello: I have a Dell Dimension 8300 running a 3.0GHZ hiperthreaded. I had 2 Corsair XMS PC3200 512MB modules running with the Dell factory Samsung (total 2GB). I wanted a little more speed so upgraded to 2 more Corsair XMS DDR500 PC4000 modules (I removed the Samsung). When I did this, my computer would not boot- I got the 'B' and 'D' yellow lights on the error codes in the back along with some beeps. When I remove the PC3200 modules and add the PC4000 on their own, it works with no problem. So I figured the memory was too quick and it wasn't bumping down to 400MHZ. So I purchased 2 more PC3200 Corsair modules and added them with the other PC3200s- guess what? SAME PROBLEM!!! Any ideas? Anybody else run into this? Thanks, Mark

• Corsair Employees
First thing, you cannot mix modules with the Chipset that's used with this system! If you want to use 4 modules they would all need to be exactly matched! More than likely the modules that came with your system and our XMS3200C2 modules were close in the SPD!

I *was* using the Dell memory and the Corsair with no problem- the only thing I experienced was the speed had dropped to 333MHZ from 400. I removed the Dell and added 2 matching Corsair PC3200 modules. All 4 now match perfectly- PC3200, 400MHZ.

Archived