Corsair Community

Memory compatiblity

mrbfinch

I'd like to purchase some memory for my computer. Here are the motherboard specs: The motherboard has two DIMM sockets. The DIMMs should be 168-pin running at 133 megahertz and 3.3 volts, have gold connectors, be unbuffered, and non-ECC. Supported memory module sizes include 64 megabyte (MB), 128 MB, and 256 MB. It currently has one 128MB PC133 SDRAM, 64-Bit, unbuffered, 4-clock, DIMM. I'd like to fill the second slot with a 256MB chip, but I want to make sure I get one that is going to work. The manufacturer recommends their own 256MB High Density chip that costs over $100. I'm not familiar with exactly what would be compatible with this, but it seems most of the chips I've looked at are closer to $50. Is there any reason I shouldn't go with a cheaper ~$50 chip? If it's okay to go with the cheaper chip, which one should I get? Thanks, Brad

• Corsair Employees
The max memory would be 512 Meg using 2 256 Meg modules. And I would not suggest mixing any new modules with what you have now as 4 clock memories has not been used for some time now! I would suggest you use VS256MB133 and make sure from the reseller there are 16 IC's on the module or double sided! If there are only 8 IC's it may not work in this system! Like for example VS256MB133A will not run in this system!

Thanks for the info. I'll order a pair of VS256MB133's for each of the computers. There are 15 btw. That gives me a good excuse to put more memory in them. When Gateway says the current module has 4 clock memories, is that the same as saying CAS Latency 4? I'm also curious what High Density means and what are some other ways of telling if a module is High Density or not? Thanks again, Brad

• Corsair Employees
The term "High Density" is a relative term! In other words a 32 Meg module with only 4 or 8 IC's for example, would be classed as high density! However, in this case you need to make sure the module you use is made with 16M X 8 IC's or 16 Meg by 8 IC's = 128 Meg per side of the module for a total of 256 Meg! of the module only has 8 modules and it's 256 Meg is total size then the IC's would be 32M x 8 and this chipset will not be able to address them properly!

Archived