Corsair Community

A7N8X-E Deluxe

RSalazar

I just purchased an A7N8X-E Deluxe MB and a AMD 3200+ CPU. I am using 2-CMX512-3200LLPT memory modules. When the computer initially booted it took me to the bios screen. At the bottom of the screen it stated that I had a CMOS error and that the defaults were loaded. I could then choose F1 to continue or DEL to enter setup. When I enter setup I choose to load defaults and then set the processor frequency to the correct setting. I then save and exit and it sits at a blank screen. I then have to clear the bios to get it to boot back into the bios screen. If I choose F1 and have it continue the comupter will contiue through its intial screens and tell me that the memory test failed. It will then continue to boot into windows. If I check to see how much memory it is seeing it tells me that I have 1gig. But I notice that my CPU is only running at half speed. I can use windows and everything seems to be fine. However, if I turn of the computer or reboot I get stuck at the blank screen. Asus and AMD tell me to load defaults and set the CPU to the correct setting and it will boot. It doesn't. Only thing I can see that would be the problem is the memory. I have tried another CPU in the MB and I get the same error. Any ideas? Thanks. Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe AMD 3200+ 1 gig Corsair 3200LLPT ATI 9800XT 2 seagate SATA 120 drives in Raid 0 1 CDRW 1 CD 500 W aspire PSU. Richard

• Corsair Employees
Please try the modules one at a time with the Dim Voltage set to 2.7 Volts and then test them with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] to be sure it's not just a failing module! In addition, if possible I would suggest testing the modules in another MB as that might help to isolate the problem!

I have tried them in another MB. The original MB was an A7N8X. I started getting the CMOS errors. I then bought another MB for yet another project computer. ;) I used the memory from that MB to test this MB, and recieved the same errors. I have with in the last few minutes reset the BIOS and input manually the following settings. 6-3-2-3-2.5T I then set the voltage to 2.7v. At this point I am up and running after a reboot. I am waiting to see if it fails. Is there a windows based memory test similar to mem86? Thanks. Richard

• Corsair Employees
I would not suggest you test them in windows; the test would be more accurate not running in a protected environment! But you can do a search for Microsoft Memory Diagnostic and use the B.G. Version! If you continue to have problems we can sure try replacing your modules if you like! Please follow the link in my signature and we will be happy to replace them!

Thanks. I have been letting memtest86 run all day. I will let you know what the results are when I get home. Wouldnt the fact that I had to raise the settings on the memory manually suggest that there is an issue? Thanks. Richard

• Corsair Employees
Not at all! Most MB's use default setting based on components that would be JEDEC compliant not over clocking! And our XMS3200LL would be over clocking the timings from spec. Example XMS3200LL would be rated at Cass 2-3-2-6 at DDR400, where as a DDR400 JEDEC compliant module would be rated at Cass 3-4-4-8 or 3-3-3-8 and about 4-12% slower in performance! We do suggest you set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 volts with most MB's and most MB's default to 2.55-2.65 volts for memory!

Archived