Corsair Community

Were dose coolant go

Hawg-dawg

[quote name='Hawg-dawg']I can find no leak or any evidence of a leak. I have to add water now and then. Were dose it go and is it normal to use water?[/QUOTE] should'nt use tap water for top up. Best to use 33% proporlene err automotive anti-freeze 2cups Distilled water to 1cup anti-freeze on your plug is the O-ring on it? and is tight

Hawg-dawg, Is your HC system completely stock? How much coolant did you have to add? Was the water level after adding the first and second time the same level as you initially left the system when new? Marc

Hawg-dawg, my system is not OC'd yet and all three blocks are working just fine. Attached are some pics of the case. I do have an external recervoir to help aid cooling. The HC system is designed to handle 200 watts total so you will need to figure out what your system will total. I figured I would need a little help so I added the reservoir. The HC is a slow flow system and does work well. I have not had mine too long and have not noticed any loss in coolant and am not sure where yours has gone since the system is closed. Anyway, if you have any more questions about the other blocks, let me know. By the way, there is alot of info in these forums about other blocks, watts, tubeing size etc that really helped me figure this out. The "pickle jar" was the best idea so far. Marc

[quote name='Hawg-dawg']I can find no leak or any evidence of a leak. I have to add water now and then. Were dose it go and is it normal to use water?[/QUOTE] Well, this is assuming there are no leaks, Do you know anyone with a waterbed? Ask them if they have to "burb" it from time to time. Although the water level shouldn't drop by very much in a system as small as the HydroCool air will form over time. This will be caused by bacteria or algie in the water. You may not see anything in the water but still have this problem. By the way you are using distilled water and the propper amount of Corsair additive or antifreeze correct? If not do what is needed to answer yes to these questions. These additives will help to keep the little "nasties" way. Now if the water is dropping excessively like being able to notice a difference in the water level overnight something is wrong. If you're not seeing the leak inside the HydroCool case my recommendation is to shut off the computer now and remove the waterblocks from the system now. Run the system and insure the waterblocks and fittings are leak checking good. You can do this better with a piece of paper or paper towel. Run the corners of the paper over all the seals and connections in the system. You can do this with the waterblocks attached to the system but I don't like to take chances. I would also recommend doing this leak check with the system on because of the added pressure caused by the waterblocks. If you still can't find it put a coolered coolant into the Hydrocool (something aproved ovcourse, look [URL=http://www.houseofhelp.com/v2/showthread.php?t=26675&highlight=colored+dye]here[/URL] for more info in this). Although water can evaporate the coloring will not. Also if you run your hands over the the system connections, hoses, and blocks rub them together after each. If they feel sticky you've found a leak. (Ofcourse if... sigh, I'll leave it go. lol) The residue from the Corsair additive or antifreeze in the water will cause this.

There is a very small loss of water via transpiration through the plastic lines. This is a known issue with all water cooling set-ups, it would be much worse with PVC based tubing which absorbs water like a sponge. The polyurethane tubing shipped with the HC200 will be much less ... I expect a fraction of ounce of H2O every so many months to be lost. This is probably what you are seeing. In this case, I would add just distilled water ... don't bother adding extra PG additive ... you're not losing much PG, if any. Good luck. KK

Thanks alot for replys guys . H2Cool .........Awsome system. Couple more questions . I have a X800Xt on the way(probly show up next year). I think I will leave the stock fan on the VGA card for a while and probly won't over clock it . I think I would like to get a NB water block. I am OCing my CPU. Will an after market water block give better results on the CPU and if so what about the temp prob ? Tnx

Hawg-dawg I decided to go with the swiftech CPU block because it was bigger and had the 3/8 ID hose sizing I was looking for. The stock HC CPU block does have good reviews nut as far as other blocks giving better results, we are only talking 1 or 2 degrees here. As far as the thermister attached to the stock block...I cut the wire off and bought a new one at Radio Shack and attached it to the new block...no problems and it is working fine. In fact I attached a 2nd thermister to the other side of the CPU block for another digital readout. Marc

I use a custome H2O system. evaporation leads to loss of coolant too. depends on what temp the coolant sits at though. My system is always 100% load. so coolant temps are always high. I have a positive air pressure valve that will let out any extra gas in the system. I have to top up coolant every 2 or 3 months depending on the weather. I'm in australia so during summer ambient temps can be as high as 35c.

Archived