Corsair Community

SP2500 - Used for Home Theater - excellent.

mxg

Hi All,

I bought two of these to replace my Altec Lansing mx5021 (THX) in my family room. The SP2500 are excellent. I have the room wired for front and rear speakers and use an HTPC to view media (music, movies and TV). During replacement, I only changed out the front and kept the rear mx5021 for comparison. The mx5021 always sounded good. But the SP2500 added more bass and fullness and certainly... VOLUME. mx5021 were no slouch but the SP2500 really are powerful and clean all the way to the top. Great speakers. The family room is immersed in sound with two sets.

As for wiring, I just spliced the stock cables with quality speaker wire using butt splicers (mine are in-wall anyway). Length was extended to 7 feet each side.

Love the speakers!:D:

(My whole house is wired and powered by mx5021s... kitchen, living room, sunroom, loft and dining room. I have klipsch GMX in the office.)

• 1 month later...

I am very impressed with these. I have bought two pairs (as mentioned before) and have mounted the satellites on my walls (see attachment) using a modified speaker mount. Yes, I spliced my own cables.

I use an HTPC + 5.1 card with AC3filter that allows me to send DVD low frequency effects to my fronts and rears. Since I'm using MX5021 as centers, I'm able to use three subs for these effects - movie soundtrack is fantastic! (floor thumps/shake) For stereo, only the SP2500 are used - again fantastic.

My family room is 23 ft by 13 ft and two of these FILL it no problem.

Happy customer. These are best on the market today.

:D:

For the size, power, quality and cost, these are just an incredible value.

DSCN1622.JPG.8006f8273c454fc486d55f40cbd651f8.JPG

• 1 month later...
I am very impressed with these. I have bought two pairs (as mentioned before) and have mounted the satellites on my walls (see attachment) using a modified speaker mount. Yes, I spliced my own cables.

I use an HTPC + 5.1 card with AC3filter that allows me to send DVD low frequency effects to my fronts and rears. Since I'm using MX5021 as centers, I'm able to use three subs for these effects - movie soundtrack is fantastic! (floor thumps/shake) For stereo, only the SP2500 are used - again fantastic.

My family room is 23 ft by 13 ft and two of these FILL it no problem.

Happy customer. These are best on the market today.

:D:

For the size, power, quality and cost, these are just an incredible value.

Good to hear ...I just ordered the SP2500s ...should arrive later this week.

Two questions:

- who makes that speaker wall-mount (jpg attached to your post)

- have you or do you know anyone who has extended the POD cable? (asking this because on my old Logitech's you could not extend it because it actually would affect proper functioning of the unit).

Appreciate any insight...

apparently u can use a VGA extension cable. I've yet tried it myself but the concept sounds plausible

Thanks for responding...

I was thinking that too but on some brands there's shielded pairs inside and other resistance/capacitance considerations so wasn't sure if it would create a problem or not.

I posted up a separate thread HERE since I htink there's general interest in this. RAMguy has been nice enough to offer to check with engineering to see what they think. We shall see.

Dan

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry.. I don't visit forums much... for the first question I used the following (with modifications):

http://www.btechavmounts.com/product-range/consumer/speaker-mounts-and-stands/speaker-mounts/products/bt77

Note: I modified the actual mount:

1) Removed the side clamps (too big for these speakers).

2) I trimmed the length of the base plate that holds the speaker (again too long for these speakers). How, used a hack saw and elbow grease!

2) Also, to ensure secure mounting of the speaker to the plate, I used a 1 inch long wood screw (very narrow) through the plate (drilled a new hole in plate) through to rear feet of the speaker. This allows me to affix the speaker to mount. I took the risk with the screws... and haven't any consequences from several months of heavy use (TV, movies and music). It would be nice if Corsair added standard keyhole on the rear to allow for wall mounting 'cause I will be buying more of these in the future.

3) Drilled several large holes in the arm of the mount (close to each to make a sizable hole) to enable the speaker wire to feed through the arm.

The above enable to me to have "professional" looking install minimizing wire exposure, etc. Why the trouble? Well, my wife and I don't want speaker wires, etc to detract from the use of the room while getting excellent surround sound when watching moves. Plus, the speakers are mounted just over 5ft on the walls... people can easily "inspect" the install.

Hope this helps.

Good to hear ...I just ordered the SP2500s ...should arrive later this week.

Two questions:

- who makes that speaker wall-mount (jpg attached to your post)

- have you or do you know anyone who has extended the POD cable? (asking this because on my old Logitech's you could not extend it because it actually would affect proper functioning of the unit).

Appreciate any insight...

Sorry.. I don't visit forums much... for the second question I used the following (with modifications):

http://www.btechavmounts.com/product-range/consumer/speaker-mounts-and-stands/speaker-mounts/products/bt77

Note: I modified the actual mount:

1) Removed the side clamps (to big for these speakers).

2) I trimmed the length of the base plate that holds the speaker (again too long for these speakers). How, used a hack saw and elbow grease!

2) Also, to ensure secure mounting of the speaker to the plate, I used a 1 inch long wood screw (very narrow) through the plate (drilled a new hole in plate) through to rear feet of the speaker. This allows me to affix the speaker to mount. I took the risk with the screws... and haven't any consequences from several months of heavy use (TV, movies and music). It would be nice if Corsair added standard keyhole on the rear to allow for wall mounting 'cause I will be buying more of these in the future.

3) Drilled several large holes in the arm of the mount (close to each to make a sizable hole) to enable the speaker wire to feed through the arm.

The above enable to me to have "professional" looking install minimizing wire exposure, etc. Why the trouble? Well, my wife and I don't want speaker wires, etc to detract from the use of the room while getting excellent surround sound when watching moves. Plus, the speakers are mounted just over 5ft on the walls... people can easily "inspect" the install.

Hope this helps.

Amen to standard mounts!! ;-)

...and thanks for your thoughts on this.

I wound up construction my own small wall-mount speaker stands out of 1x oak -- the exact size of the bottom of the speaker -- since we have lots of oak trim ...looks great, but, yeah, Corsair should have realized (given the history of Logitech's Z2300s which the Corsair SP2500 essentially trumps) many folks will use this system for home theater and other uses (because it's awesome!) and would therefore want to: 1) extend the POD cable and 2) wll mount the front speakers. Even a keyhole on the rear of the speakers would have sufficed.

Oh, well ...SP2500 is still *the* most awesome system in it's class, imho ...and no boomy mid-range like the Logitech or annoying 'belching' at high volume like the Klipsch. I'm definately a happy camper with this product!!

[edit:]

...btw, if interested in extending the control POD cable, check out my post #29 here ...works flawlessly with the right cable (see post). -Dan

Archived