Corsair Community

damaged?

hi guys!(sorry, but my english is not very good) so i've got a problem, with my "DIMM DDRAM 512MB PC400 Corsair TWINX CL2" modules, i've got 2 of this sets, that means 4x256MB. last week i had to reinstall my OS, and it didn't work! after trying it again and again, i decided to do a memory test, with the tool "Memtest86". The result was, that i had several errors( about 200), and at 56% of the test my, computer hang up, and i had to restart my system. I also tried it with less modules and different ways of mounting the modules. But i never was able to finish the test positiv or without any complications! So, i think, that all memory moduls are broken! AM i WRIGHT????????? Do i have to send the modules to my dealer? THX alot, don_lindy Please help me! :!:

That's virtually impossible for 4 sticks to go bad. Try one stick at a time in each slot and just try to boot. This will quickly tell you if it's a stick or a slot. It's not foolproof, but it's a good start.

• Corsair Employees
I would agree with Wired, please test them one module at a time with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts as well. In addition, if you have an ASUS P4 MB you will need to disable legacy when running [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] as well!

OK, thank you for your help, i testet the modules(with MEMTEST86) but no one of the 4 module passed the test! but i don't know how the result would have been, if i had choosen the settings you adviced me to use?! so now i sent them back to my dealer and, he will exchange them i think! thanks for you help!! THX, don_lindy

so you have to know that: i am sure, that a least ONE of those four modules is bad, that is sure, because if i test this module with MEMTEST 86, there are hundrets of "Errors". Another module of those 4 modules has about 20 "Errors" with MEMTEST, and the test hangs up at 97 %. The last two modules don't have any "Errors" but the test fails at about 98%! So, i think they've gone bad!! Because the have to PASS the test! THX, don_lindy

• Corsair Employees
In addition, with ASUS P4 MB's you will need to disable legacy USB when running [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] or any of the derivatives of that program or it may display errors that are not real memory errors!

Archived