Corsair Community

A7n8x 1.04 400mhz

Toddmoe

I've seen quite a few of these references which is somewhat disheartening but here goes. Just bought a Barton 3000 400fsb I also purchased 2 sticks of cmx512 - 3200c2pt xms3202v3.1 Asus A7n8x MB PCB 1.04 latest bios not deluxe or E or any of that just plain old a7n8x Board has been running fine with corsair XMS 333 (old ram) and the barton will run at a full 400fsb, but if I run the new ram at, 400 bad crashes, seriously damaged my OS (XP) both times I've tried. So I am a bit adverse to trial and error at the moment. I am using the "by SPD" setting, which might be part of the problem I have noticed that when doing so it only seems to detect it as cl3 and not 2. I am not trying to overclock just run at factory speeds. I have the old ram back in the system currently because when I tried to run the new ram at the 166% with the same settings as the old ram (supplied through user default option) the PC wouldn't even post. If worst case scenario I can't get it to work I still want to keep the memory but need to know the correct timings to use with it so that it works at the 166%. (Figuring the upgrade path down the road will include 400mhz ddr) Any thoughts or wisdom?

Welcome to the forums, Toddmoe! Unfortunately, your board doesn't officially support the 400MHz frequency, that was implemented later in the Rev 2.x PCB's, but with the latest BIOS's you can utilize it. What you should try is manually setting the timings and run only one module at a time, just to check. It would also be a good idea to find a friend and put each of your modules into their computer and test them with [url=www.memtest86.com]Memtest86[/url] to make sure they aren't failing. Try these settings: CAS - 2.5 RAS to CAS Delay - 3 RAS Precharge - 3 Active to Delay (tRAS) - 6 DDR Voltage - 2.75 or 2.8 volts ([i]a little more voltage can help the chipset too...[/i]) Try each module individually and run Memtest86 on them, then if they pass without errors, put them together. PLUR CK

Archived