Corsair Community

New 3200XL PRO..Plug N' Frag..yeah right!

Just installed my new RAM (1Gb Corsair TWINX3200XL PRO) and I thought that SPD was supposed to detect it as 2-2-2-5...NOPE! 2.5-3-3-7 on my Asus P4P800 motherboard. So I had to manually change it..which is no big deal but why say it does something that it dosnt? Or did I read it wrong. Anyone know what the overclocking potentials are with this ram? Lie how high to go with the fsb etc etc? Thanks.

Well I just installed my new Abit AI7 motherboard and guess what.. SPD detects the ram at 2.5-5-2-2 Not 2-5-2-2 as suggested by Corsairs "Plug and frag". So 2 motherboards where it has not happened. Can anyone please explain whats gone wrong?

Well I don't really see that as a huge issue. But perhaps you need a bios update? Maybe that is what the SPD is supposed to be for max compatibility? All the corsair stuff I have used detects at 2-2-2-5. In a P4 MB, then another P4 mb, then an Abit IT7, then an MSI K8T, then a Abit K8V Pro. Just set the timings manually. which you would be doing anyway cause your l88t right?

anthonyl, it ain't doesn't matter so much what SPD a bios reads. the looser the better in my opinion due to Abit and some boards not liking tight SPDs - something which I'm concerned about with plug N frag actually so if your bios reports looser SPD read timings = :sunglasse probably partly a board/bios issue

I have had some crappy kingmax ram do that. different boards reporting different SPD timings. thats why its always a good idea to set the timings manually in bios. But if it 'says' plug & frag. its not going to stop you, and I doubt you would notice the difference when you are fragging. I have also noticed that some MB report different SPD when running different FSBs & or ratios.

Archived