Corsair Community

Couple questions about SSD

oneton

hello guys. i just purchased new corsair force gt 120GB. will be arriving by tomorrow probably.

and i have couple questions about using the SSD o.O

i should write down my specs just in case.

mobo- MSI P67A-GD65

cpu- Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8GHz

ram- corsair vengeance 4x4GB @ 1600

gpu- EVGA gtx570 SC

etc...

my questions are:

1. if i try to install windows7 on new ssd, do i have to format them?

2. before proceeding the windows7 installation, should i load the newest Intel RST driver downloaded from intel website?

3.i read ton of threads informing about TRIM. so is TRIM only thing i will need to use SSD? (i will be tweak some settings such as turning off indexing, etc)

4. is there anything else that i should know before using ssd?

thank you for your time :]

1. If you are installing a fresh copy of windows 7 to a new ssd, you just use the installation dvd and it will walk you through the process. It formats it automatically and even aligns the drive properly. Windows 7 is one of the best OSes optimized for SSD use.

2. You don't need to install the Intel RST driver, but you can. By default windows vista and 7 both install their own microsoft AHCI standard controller driver, which works fine. That's what I use and I always get advertised speeds. If you want to use Intel's to make yourself feel better, you can always get the F6 driver and load it on a floppy, etc.

3. TRIM is enabled on windows 7 by default.

4. You should change the paging file to a secondary drive, putting a paging file on your SSD will just wear it out and there is no noticeable difference in performance especially if you are not maxing the RAM in your machine.

Archived