Corsair Community

Ga-z68x-ud5-b3 + cmx6gx3m3c1600c7 + xmp = bsod

MishterTea

Hi all,

I've just built a new PC with a Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 motherboard and 4x2GB Corsair CMX6GX3M3C1600C7 XMS DDR3 RAM. Everything is fine until I enable XMP which results in BSODs/restarts when loading Win7 (64-bit).

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

- Richard

Hi Wired,

Thanks for the swift reply.

Yes, I purchased triple-channel DDR by mistake (6*2GB) - my other machine has a X58-UD5 which supports triple. After some reading it seemed I should be fine to take 4 of the 6 sticks and use those on this motherboard. These are all identical 7-8-7-20 2GB sticks. Is that not the case?

Yes, I purchased triple-channel DDR by mistake (6*2GB) - my other machine has a X58-UD5 which supports triple. After some reading it seemed I should be fine to take 4 of the 6 sticks and use those on this motherboard. These are all identical 7-8-7-20 2GB sticks. Is that not the case?

No, the mixing of kits is going to be the issue. Even though you have two kits with the same part number and so on, they are most certainly different in composition. If the RAM was not purchased in a single box there is no way to ensure that all the sticks are compatible with each other. All it takes is one slight difference to throw things off. Corsair uses nine different IC manufacturers and several different PCB manufacturers. Those parts can be used in any given configuration at any time during the process. So unless they were all tested together, they are different.

Hi guys,

Here's an update:

In total I have 6 2GB stick from two different triple (CMX6GX3M3C1600C7) channel sets. I've managed to identify which sticks are from which sets using a handy iPhone bar-code reader:

- If I place two sticks from one set in channel A (slots 1 & 3), with XMP enabled, the system is stable.

- If I take a further two sticks from the other set and place them in channel B (slots 2 & 4), with XMP enabled, the system instantly becomes unstable.

- With the four sticks in, if I disable XMP, the system is stable.

So I can see two possibilities:

1. I can't use memory from one set in channel A and another set in channel B? (My question would then be how would you upgrade a system at a later date?)

2. My motherboard struggles with 4 slots running with XMP? Would this be a case of manual voltage increases?

Any (informed) guesses?

Cheers,

- Richard

1. Correct. Mixing memory is never recommended because there's no way to guarantee compatibility.

2. Not enough information to state that, but either way, when using 4 sticks it's best to set it up manually anyway.

1. Correct. Mixing memory is never recommended because there's no way to guarantee compatibility.

2. Not enough information to state that, but either way, when using 4 sticks it's best to set it up manually anyway.

Thanks Wired.

1. If someone purchased say two sticks and at a later date decided to upgrade to four, are you saying they would need to buy a complete new set and not just add two new sticks?

2. Out of interest I placed 3 sticks from the one set in slots 1, 2 & 3, enabled XMP and quite quickly got a blue-screen. It's leading me to believe that my MB can't handle 3 or more sticks running at standard XMP settings..

1. If they want to ensure compatibility, then yes. You can always try it, and with tweaking it may work, but there's no way to know for sure without trying it.

2. Again, not enough information to prove that. It's not meant to run 3 sticks. Could be a bad slot. Could be a bad stick. Could just be 3 sticks throwing the memory controller for a loop.

Latest update:

I've put all 6 sticks in my other PC: i7 930 on Gigabyte x58a-ud5 (Triple channel - one set on channel A and one on channel B). XMP enabled and all working fine. It's passed a memtest86+ too.

Soo.. it must either be incompatibility with the new PC's motherboard (Gigabyte z68-ud5) or maybe some issue with the 2600K/Sandy Bridge processor..

Any guesses?

hi,

I had the same issue... basicly p67, h67, z68 all run on dual channel. You can run 3 sticks, but one will just be outside of dual channel operation. That is probably the cause of our BSOD. When i run tri it does not give me bsod right away. When i open low activity programs like ie, msoffice, media player everything runs fine. Once i start opening games or do a mem test i get the bsod. basicly we both need to get new RAM. Oh, also dual channel works like this... slot 1 & 2 then 2 & 4. so dont put it in as 1 & 2 or 3 & 4. hope i was clear.

Hi guys,

I can now confirm that my suspicions were correct:

After putting the new sticks in my other PC and all working fine it had to be something with either the motherboard or processor in my new machine. After a bit of reading I learnt that Sandy Bridge processors are really designed for 1.5v RAM and this is 1.65v. I went with the assumption that 4 sticks at 1.65v was just too much for the system and purchased some Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB CAS8 (1.5v)..

They just arrived and everything's worked fine since placing them in my system. One thing to note is the heatsinks on the Vengeance sticks are very tall - I had to move my CPU heatsink fan to the other side of my processor to fit them in.

Cheers for the all the advice,

- Richard

They just arrived and everything's worked fine since placing them in my system. One thing to note is the heatsinks on the Vengeance sticks are very tall - I had to move my CPU heatsink fan to the other side of my processor to fit them in.
They have low profile Vengeance memory now as well:

http://www.corsair.com/memory/vengeance/vengeance-low-profile-16gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cml16gx3m4a1600c9.html

Archived