Corsair Community

System Instability: Trying to track down problem

MrFizzbin

Greetings everyone,

My First post by the way....

I have been having system instability on my box and am trying to track it down. For the moment, just have one or two questions to ask the experts in here:

1)Is there any compatibility or know issues that oyu knowof between my memory (Dominator Gt 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-2000 CL9-10-9-27 Intel Xmp Dual Channel Memory Kit) and my motherboard (Gigabyte P55A-UD4P ATX LGA1156 P55 DDR3).

2). In the Bios, should I set it to XMS (or leave at the default (which I believe will revert to 1600).

3) yes, a third question..i cheated... For testing stability, is it preferable to let is default to 1600, or ket the XMS on?

Any wisdom will be well recieved.

CMT8GX3M2A2000C9

-and I do not expect to do any overclocking.

I just want to establish an environment where the sytem is at it's most stable, so that I can narrow down the source of my problems. Ie., If i have to stress the system to see where it fails consistently, i don't want the system to be already on the edge by OC'ing in any way to begin with.

Once again...thanks for the assistance... Here is the full picture. I am looking to isolate what the source of my problems: System has been acting eratic over the past few months, typically in gaming situations (COD5 and a couple of others). A couple of days ago, i was using Fraps to capture Rfact game footage wheen the screen went a bit crazy, then a blue screen. Reebooted, and then when POST handed off to Windows 7 (64), it froze at the load screen. From that point on, it's been hell. Could not revert to a Windows restore point, nor standard windows tools to fix the issue worked. I was thinking that when I got the bluescreen, it scrambled a system file, driver, whatever...I assumed an (Acronis) partition image from a previous state would solve the problem: It didn't. It kept freezing at the windows load page. I then assumed it might be the MBR: so I used some recovery tools to re-make my MBR. Same problem. Then I looked at my Video cards (2 ATI 5850's in Crossfire. Removed one, and the system would boot. Tried each one individually, and it would seem that one of them is bad. So off to get an RMA from XFX (Done). Ha! Gotchya! A hardware issue! It all makes sense now... I'm sitting pretty, figuring the worst is behind me. Course, i have to reinstal windows, my apps games, utilities, but hey, that's okay. 24 h after I have re-instaleld my OS and apps... I get the same freeze-up at windows loading .... So... My logic takes me to either the ram, or the Motherboard. I'm leaning to the MB, as the video card does see to be DOA, no signal to the monitor.. nothing..ram wouldn't do that..besides, the ram works with the other card... So..that's where I am at right now.. Off to Gigabytes.. Anyone have a good application that could test the motherboard? :)

I ask if there is any compatibility problem, because in "Memory Checker", they will suggest the CML166X3M4A and not mine. And if i go to thier compatibility list for my motherboard (Gigabyte P55A-UD4P ATX LGA1156 P55 Bios: F14) , it is not listed as well. However, it is present under Intel > i5 > Dual Channel Kits. In there it states under "System Requirements" : "Designed for use with all DDR3 motherboards with two memory channels" I based my purchase decision on the latter.

So, despite the fact that it is not actually listed as supported for my particular motherboard, I don't have anything to worry about, right? Hate to sound picky, but I need to rule our the memory as the source of my problems.. I ran the sticks through memtest86+ for 12 hours straight (8 completed passes), and no errors came up. So, mechanically they are fine. Just need to know if compatibility is an issue.

• Corsair Employees
These modules are compatible but that MB and CPU only supports DDR1333 with out over clocking so 2000 MHz is an extreme O.C. and your CPU may not O.C that high, I would try and enable XMP then set the memory frequency at DDR1600 and see if its more stable

Archived