Corsair Community

H100 question

pancakepaddle

I am growing a little tired with corsair. I am drinking some coffee right now though, so I may feel different in a min.

I am running an i7 2600k right on my stock cooler, stock clock.

I had an h50 as high as 5 ghz, with idle temps around 29-33. Running prime95 was a no go due to the fact that it would jump to 76 and climb all the way to 90 and above if I let it.

The h50 is not a bad cooler, the config I used was push/push/pull. with 2,000 rpm's. So one fan on the out side of the case pushing in, and so forth. I believe that's why I had good temps. Gaming it would not go over 60 even at 5 ghz. I ended up dropping it to 4.8 ghz. Even running prime95 would still overheat if I let it.

The moral of all this? After talking with the corsair staff and even the tech sup. He mentioned to me that he doesn't even believe the h100 will cool this cpu @ 5ghz. So let me ask a qestion. How on earth are guys getting good temps on air, but corsair's latest and greatest water cooler can't even do the job?

One more tip corsair, if you read this.

The h80/70, have thicker rad's. Yet the h100 has a thinner rad. Why not just go ahead and give the customer all that is possible to cool the cpu?

The h80/70, have thicker rad's. Yet the h100 has a thinner rad. Why not just go ahead and give the customer all that is possible to cool the cpu?

You mean like this?

http://www.asetek.com/press-room/news/255-asetek-announces-availability-and-preorder-dates-for-240mm-super-cooler-.html

Apparently Asetek will be having one of their 3rd party vendors supply this. This probably means it will be either a Corsair product or that other company Asetek makes AIO liquid coolers for.

mistermister, please do not go around the filter.

If you intend to talk about a competitor's products, please take it somewhere else guys, thanks.

This really isn't a competitor's product (yet. maybe.).

I (and probably you) have no clue what "Asetek partner" is going to be selected to sell the unit under their branding. It very well could be Corsair, since Asetek also made some of the H series cooling units. I was simply giving the two logical options. Heck, maybe this will be the Corsair H120!

Oh, and this is the latest info on the unit pancake:

http://www.asetek.com/blog/272-waterchill-2011c-to-be-widely-available-via-partner.html

Since Asetek directly makes Corsair products, and that the name isn't filtered... I had assumed it is okay to talk about their products. Especially since there hasn't been any info released as to which company will get rights to put their label on the cooler. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The problem with water cooling is the same as air - the ambient room temp plays a large part in the cooling. If your ambient room temps are high, the cooling performance will not be as good. I see no reason why the H100 will not cool sufficiently at 5GHz. I'm running on 4.3GHz on 3rd party air cooler air currently and within CPU tolerance (mid 70's C) temps at full load. My ambient room temp us usually around 68F

It also depends where you mount your rad. If it's in the case and you don't have good airflow for the case the cooling is going to suffer commensurately.

Bear in mind that very few apps will incur full load of all cores this processor for significantly lengths of time unless you are maybe rendering video or media encoding. Even then, there are ebbs and flows. If you are only gaming and doing moderate multimedia encoding/rendering, it should never reach that extreme.

The problem with water cooling is the same as air - the ambient room temp plays a large part in the cooling. If your ambient room temps are high, the cooling performance will not be as good. I see no reason why the H100 will not cool sufficiently at 5GHz. I'm running on 4.3GHz on 3rd party air cooler air currently and within CPU tolerance (mid 70's C) temps at full load. My ambient room temp us usually around 68F

It also depends where you mount your rad. If it's in the case and you don't have good airflow for the case the cooling is going to suffer commensurately.

Bear in mind that very few apps will incur full load of all cores this processor for significantly lengths of time unless you are maybe rendering video or media encoding. Even then, there are ebbs and flows. If you are only gaming and doing moderate multimedia encoding/rendering, it should never reach that extreme.

1. The cooling capacity of a properly made liquid cooling unit (AIO or custom loop) will typically always beat out air cooling given the same ambient air temps. While the "idle" temps may be equal or even lower on the air cooler, max temps are typically always significantly lower.

2. Folding. I do this, as do a lot of other people. This puts 99-100% load on all cores for a s long as you are running it. I typically do this for 8+ hours at a time. A cooling unit which will keep max temps in check (the lower the better given the sustained load times) is necessary for an application like mine.

3. I, too, am on a 3rd party air cooler. One of the top rates ones, with a push-pull fan setup. @ 4.21Ghz my 930 is hitting high 80s © when folding (my CPU requires a bit of over volting to be 100% stable at this speed). This is unacceptable, which is why I am looking to replace it with an AIO cooler ASAP (I'd do custom loop, but I am lazy and dont want the upkeep issues).

Archived