Corsair Community

Asus P8P67 Deluxe + CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9 = Freezing System

marceloreis72

I appreciate so much if someone help me.

First of all I assembled it and installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits. The system was very instable, hardly freezing, sometimes don’t even finish to load Windows. I tried every single tip I could get in forums (including my SSD manufaturer Forum) and blogs, etc, but nothing could solve my freezing problem.

I also tried Asus Forum but the only I could get here was the tip to change memory configuration from auto to XMP, and then change the memory frequency from the detected (in my case the MoBo detected as 1866Mhz) to 1066Mhz. I also raised the voltage from 1.50v to 1.53v (I did two increments in the setup, not so sure if it was 1.53v or something around), I read some guy saying this solved his stability problem. But for me nothing I did has solved. My system still freezing after some minutes, no matter what I do about the setup, and no matter what load was over the system.

Then I decided start again from the beginning. I cleared the CMOS and try to reinstall Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits. My surprise was the system couldn’t even finish the installation. I tried several times (more than 20 for sure), but after I insert my user name, during the installation process, after I click “next”, the system freeze, mouse and keyboard become unresponsive and the only solution was restart the system using the power button. When it’s restart’s, the system ask to restart Windows installation again because there was a irrecoverable error.

Due to people complaining all over the web about my SSD instability, I though it was my problem, so I decided to remove it.

My SSD has been replaced by an other SSD, a SSC-D0128SC-2100. This WD has worked flawlessly over almost a year in my Lenovo T-410.

Windows installation started again, and finished with no problems. I installed all the drivers from Asus supplied DVD. At this point everything seemed to work fine, but after about an hour the system started to freeze again. This show me the SSD instability was not my only problem, something else still wrong.

I started to check on the web, but all I could find is about use XMP profile instead of “auto”, and changing down the memory frequency, sometimes people saying to raise the voltage a little bit. I tried this all over again, but the system was still freezing.

Right now, the system can boot, load windows, and after about 1 minute it freeze. CPU temperature is about 39C. During all this, CPU setting on BIOS were in “auto”. The only change I did in bios is set the CPU to “auto” and the memory settings I informed above.

I know the memory is not listed in Asus QVL, but I never had any problem with this in the past, even if not using a memory like Corsair.

Thank you for read this, hope someone can help me.

****Forgot to mention that I've got a "2E" code in the Q-code display on the MoBo. According with the manual, "2E" means "memory initialization" problem.

Ram Guy,

I already have the latest BIOS. I'll try do the test as you recomended, but the system now isn't booting. I'll try to boot it with one memory stick at time to see what happens. If it boot, I'll do the test as you recomended, if not, I'll come back to leave a feedback.

Thank's for your help.

• Corsair Employees
Yes please do and if one works and one does not then it sounds like a failing module and we will want to get the set replaced, please use the link on the left and request an RMA to get them replaced if this is the case.

Ram Guy,

I started to test as you recomended. Tested two of four sticks, they passed on test. I shut down to install the 3rd stick, when I turn it on again, the MoBo starts to give me the "2E" code in the Q-code display, (2E = memory initialization problem).

I though "yeah, I found the problem", Then I come back the previous memory stick, and still get the same "2E" code. I install back the two stick that have passed in memtest, and got the same 2E code.. man, I going crazy with this...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Test each stick individually at default settings one at a time. But also be sure to keep your pairs of mudules seperated too, and dont add sticks to ones that have already passesd testing. Test one, remove it , test another. rinse and repeat for the remaining sticks. It does take some time to do it this way, but it will point to the problem child pretty kwick.

Make sure you let MEMTEST run at least 4 passes OR untill you get errors. If none of them error it may be a compatibility issue between the two sets. But if only one out of them all errors, then you can RMA the bad set.

Hi Peanutz,

I was doing this as mentioned in my last post, but until now I couldn't make this MoBo boot again. I just tried once again. This time It's seemed to boot, show me the asus logo and then become irresponsive. Right now I'm using one of the sticks I have already tested, just to be sure the problem is not the stick.

If I can make it boots again, I'll do as recomended by you and Ram Guy. All the sticks are numered, so I can know exactly wich one I've tested. And all of then are exactly the same model and version.

The model is my profile, the version is 5.11. This is for all the four sticks.

I'm about to be sure this is an compatibility issue. I've just ordered a pair of new sticks that are listed in Asus QVL for this MoBo, just to see what happens. If it works fine, I'll keep it until Asus release a new Bios that can make the MoBo compatible with the Corsair Vengeance. I'm sure sometime in the near future they will do that, because these memory's seems very popular in the market that buy this kind of MoBo.

• Corsair Employees
Posted by marceloreis72,

I started to test as you recommended. Tested two of four sticks, they passed on test. I shut down to install the 3rd stick, when I turn it on again, the MoBo starts to give me the "2E" code in the Q-code display, (2E = memory initialization problem).

We do not suggest mixing sets but I would test all of the modules one at a time to be sure one is not failing.

We do not suggest mixing sets but I would test all of the modules one at a time to be sure one is not failing.

I'm trying to do this, but the MoBo still not booting. I'll ask a firend wich is Lenovo dealer and technical assistant to test the memory in his laboratory in the same way you recomended.

I order a set of sticks that are listed in MoBo QVL, lets see whats happen when they arrive.

Since yesterday I'm trying to boot, but there is no way to do this. I've tried many times, in many ways (including using Mem Ok button), left the CMOS battery out all night long to clear CMOS and this morning I install one of the tested stick but the only I can get is the "2E" code on the Q-code display.

• Corsair Employees

Was your friend able to test the memory for you?

But what you have posted would suggest it may be the MB or CPU in this case, but testing the memory on another system would help to isolate this.

Ram Guy,

He did six pass per stick, each one at time (total 24 pass), no single error detected. For sure the problem is with the MB.

Thank you for all support by now. This is what make Corsair one of the most reliable labels when we talk about memory.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived