Corsair Community

Con Flicked

kiwiNoob

Hey helpful souls residing in RAM heaven, I need liberating from the dark recesses of unresolvable conflict hell. :[pouts:

With the hardware in my sig, and everything on stock, (that is timing volts etc) a few weeks ago I would be in game for any length of time - from a few mins to a hours, and the monitor would turn off, followed by the audio going into a loop and general lock upsville.

Initially I thought the usual suspects of software, as my hardware is "only" a year old - so with the usual uninstall and reinstall of graphics and audio software via the standard methods I had hoped to eliminate software.

However.

Being the aspiring geek, I did the ol' trusty Memtest as per the advice handed out in this fine forum and to my surprise got an error ( which I should have wrote down, however it seemed to be the usual gobbledeegook hex addy.

Verbalizing expletives as I did so, I then proceeded to try the other two slots.

This mobo having 2 red n 2 black, thinking I was where I was with a previous Mobo problem which turned out to be borked slots.

I ran the Memtest again and got no errors.

I went back into game and *large buzzing sound* Nooo!! *more expletives*

Back to the drawing board - then tried several combination's of slots and single sticks.

I could run the Memtest ( ok only for a couple of passes but hey :o: no errors )

As yet, I do NOT get lockups IF, I just put a single stick in.

So how the fuzz do I isolate the demon in the machine?

I don't have another AM3 board to test, or another set of RAM to test.

I have a very aging Asrock 939 which won't run in Dual Channel mode.

Is it possible that my mighty Crosshair 4 has thrown the toys out the cot?

Is it possible that one ( or both the sticks) have?

Memtest needs to run for a fuzzing long time to pick up errors ?

Now I AM lazy and undisciplined I admit and it may cost me pesos :(:

But if I can find a quick solution I would rather.

I can already hear you say "yea mate, run the test for 40 hours" Do I have to?

Heat is not a problem, as i have more 120 mil fans than you can shake a sensor module at.

I have done a leeeeetle bit of overclocking but not for any length of time and no extreme settings.

So if there is a geek with compassion and wisdom in the ether somewhere with wise and helpful suggestions, you would make an old mans day! :biggrin:

Just test each stick individually in the first slot. Which ever one errors first is the culprit. I would seriously consider running 4 passes of memtest , unless you get errors first. Sometimes random errors don't always show up in the first pass. Yes it's time consuming, but there really isn't a quick way to test memory. Sorry. :)

Hey peanutz thanks for the reply, 4 passes you say, yes I can live with that.

I had a look at Ramguys sticky on the memtest and as I suspected "most" problems would show up with first pass - but every situation is different dagnabit!

It's just seems strange that by putting an individual stick in, I 'seem' to have no problems, and when both go in - in a very short time it's lockup city.

Anyhoo, will give each stick the stick and get back with the "oh each stick is fine, passed the test no errors" comment :roll:

Before I do, I need to check with someone my assumptions;

If I can game for a few hours ( with single stick in) the GPU is ok?

If these AMD have memory controllers built in then it "might" be the 1090T?

The dual channel set up on the mobo "could" be borked?

If I can game for a few hours ( with single stick in) the GPU is ok?

More than likely your GPU is just fine. But out of curiousity, have you updated your video drivers recently? If so , did your problems start before or after driver update?

If these AMD have memory controllers built in then it "might" be the 1090T?

The dual channel set up on the mobo "could" be borked?

Both are possible. It could be the IMC in your processor, but it could also be a bad memory slot on your board. Right now im kind of inclined to think it's a problem with the board and not the CPU. If the memory tests out fine, then i would contact the board manufacturer and see what they have to say about it.

Also if you do get errors, try to write down where the error occured in the test. Thats sometimes helpful in determining problems. Good Luck!

have you updated your video drivers recently?

I am a stickler for vid card updates, and Steam even has an auto d/l function

. Right now im kind of inclined to think it's a problem with the board and not the CPU.

Yup I agree, and getting Asus to come to the party might be like getting Bill Gates to admit philanthropic activity is a tax dodge.

BTW, is the title supposed to say "Conflicted" ?

You can spell it like that if you want wired. :biggrin:

I'll prolly end up either lying on the floor saying 'oh god oh god o god' or maybe buying a 8 gig kit and sticking one stick in. :confused:

Quote:

. Right now im kind of inclined to think it's a problem with the board and not the CPU.

Yup I agree, and getting Asus to come to the party might be like getting Bill Gates to admit philanthropic activity is a tax dodge.

Hehe, yeah, i have had good experiences and bad with ASUS. I'm actually waiting on them to replace a laptop that they said would be replaced 4 months ago and im still waiting.:brick: The other time i had a bad MB and they replaced it really with no questions asked. So it' a lot like playing the lottery:dunno: But i wish you the best of luck!

Yup, a lottery ok :laughing:

Ok well a strange outcome, if it is the final word?

I did some malware removal stuff, I don't normally bother with, after 15 years online and very few problems, I never think much about it and infections are what happen to other people.

Which greebly was the offender I don't know, but after a few temp files and a dodgy remains from an installation of GTA4 - both sticks of RAM are in, it passed 3 rounds of Memtest, and handled 6 + hours of gaming without a hickup .. well Dirt3 packed a sad once, but that seems to be not uncommon.

What still seems bizarre to me is that the dump files show ATI atikmdag problems and, why did the Memtest show an error in the first place.

I can only guess that removing a virussy thing, and reseating the RAM was what was need :confused:

Anyhoo, thanks for your replies Peanutz :D:

Archived