Corsair Community

Help with pump making hissing/scratching noise!

JNelson

I just gought my Hydrocool 200 model yesterday and installed it in a snap. When I first started using it, it was working fine for the first couple of hours or so but then it started making this weird hissing/scratching sound and has done so until this morning as I sit here. :(: I looked up on this forum to see if anyone else was having the problem so I could find out how to make the sound go away. After having read the couple of threads that mention the problem, I learned that the problem is cavitation. I've done what everyone has suggested: Rocking the unit back and forth and flipping the tubes to reverse the flow but I still get the noise. One person said that he added more coolant to make the sound go away so I was wondering if lack of coolant could be the culprit. The instructions that came with the unit said to empty the entire contents of the bottle (150mL) to the reservoir. The thing is, the bottle I got is more than 150 mL so I measured it out and only poured in 150 mL and now I have a coolant bottle that's 1/3 full. Am I supposed to pour in the entire bottle or just 150 mL?? Here's a picture of the rest of the bottle contents and a quarter next to it for size comparison. Thanx in advance! :o:

JNelson, Sometimes manufacturing would over fill the bottles. That isn't a bad thing. You do get more coolant. :sunglasse Take off the fill-plug. If the coolant level is below the last threads of the reservoir, top it off with distilled water. If the noise is still there, some units had noise that was due to normal operation of the pump, but the side acrylic cover vibrated against the metal chassis right next to the pump. A simple test for the problem is to gently pull the acrylic cover away about the width of the quarter you have in your picture. Let us know what happens. We're here to help! Stev

Well, I just ended up removing enough of the diluted coolant from the reservoir to completely empty out the rest of the propylene glycol from the bottle and the noise stopped.:cool: I'm wondering does the propylene glycol act as a lubricant for the pump? Perhaps the mixture I was using didn't have enough of it in there and was causing the pump to make those sounds. Also, now that I've run out of the stuff I got from the box, can I use Sierra antifreeze instead. The ingredients are exactly the same. Propylene Glycol (57-55-6), water, and corrosion inhibitors.

[quote name='JNelson']Well, I just ended up removing enough of the diluted coolant from the reservoir to completely empty out the rest of the propylene glycol from the bottle and the noise stopped.:cool: I'm wondering does the propylene glycol act as a lubricant for the pump? Perhaps the mixture I was using didn't have enough of it in there and was causing the pump to make those sounds. Also, now that I've run out of the stuff I got from the box, can I use Sierra antifreeze instead. The ingredients are exactly the same. Propylene Glycol (57-55-6), water, and corrosion inhibitors.[/QUOTE] YES YOU CAN. You are using Sierra now if you are using what came with the unit. And the Propylene Glycol is a lubricant for the pump. More Glycol the better for sound - bad for flow rate and cooling. So you only want just what is needed to keep the system quiet, but keep the mixture no less than 30% - 33% mixture to prevent corrosion from ruining the system. Hope this helps ;):

[quote name='morrisgs']YES YOU CAN. You are using Sierra now if you are using what came with the unit. And the Propylene Glycol is a lubricant for the pump. More Glycol the better for sound - bad for flow rate and cooling. So you only want just what is needed to keep the system quiet, but keep the mixture no less than 30% - 33% mixture to prevent corrosion from ruining the system. Hope this helps ;):[/QUOTE] MorrisGS is echoing the correct information as discussed in these threads. Just make sure you use 33% Sierra (propylene-glycol) and 66% distilled-water. If you have ever taken a cooking class, that is 1/3 sierra to 2/3 distilled water. Mix well, but do not drink. :laughing: Stev

[quote name='JNelson']Well, I just ended up removing enough of the diluted coolant from the reservoir to completely empty out the rest of the propylene glycol from the bottle and the noise stopped.:cool: I'm wondering does the propylene glycol act as a lubricant for the pump? Perhaps the mixture I was using didn't have enough of it in there and was causing the pump to make those sounds. Also, now that I've run out of the stuff I got from the box, can I use Sierra antifreeze instead. The ingredients are exactly the same. Propylene Glycol (57-55-6), water, and corrosion inhibitors.[/QUOTE] This was the correct action. Some reports of pump noise are due to low fill or trapped air recirculating inside the pump. Many are bearing noise from insufficient lubrication ... PG provides this lubrication. This is one reason the additive bottle contents were increased to 200 ml last year. I'm glad this worked out for you. KK PS: Sierra is physically and chemically identical to the HC200 additive, so it is most appropriate to use for refills.

Archived