Corsair Community

Install Guide for Corsair H80?

corydorning

I just got the H80 and have it fully mounted. I'm just trying to figure out if i should connect the fans to the pump, my fan controller, or one to to the cpu fan slot on my mobo and the other to my fan controller.

Also, I'm assuming the molex connecter is for the pump, right?

Any help is appreciated.

Just fitted my new H80 today. Looks like the pump has a molex for power and a motherboard header which I guess is for indicating speed only since both fans are connected direct to the pump. The installation guide (which is pretty poor BTW) doesn't make it clear whether you can get away with just the motherboard connecter. I think if you connect the fans to your fan controller any bypass the connectors on the pump you won't be able to take advantage of the temp controlled feature on the pump unit.

First impressions seem to be a much quieter setup than my H50 and roughly 3-4 degrees cooler when loaded, but its early days yet (less than 1 hour since fitting!).

Just fitted my new H80 today. Looks like the pump has a molex for power and a motherboard header which I guess is for indicating speed only since both fans are connected direct to the pump. The installation guide (which is pretty poor BTW) doesn't make it clear whether you can get away with just the motherboard connecter. I think if you connect the fans to your fan controller any bypass the connectors on the pump you won't be able to take advantage of the temp controlled feature on the pump unit.

First impressions seem to be a much quieter setup than my H50 and roughly 3-4 degrees cooler when loaded, but its early days yet (less than 1 hour since fitting!).

So the h80 wb have temp controller unit?

Because today i test my h80 ( not install on cpu ) and the pump dosent run at max rpms ( mina are max 2100 ) until he can t have the heat of cpu?

How many rpms have your h80 pump at max?

So the h80 wb have temp controller unit?

Because today i test my h80 ( not install on cpu ) and the pump dosent run at max rpms ( mina are max 2100 ) until he can t have the heat of cpu?

How many rpms have your h80 pump at max?

The H80 pump speed is 2100 +/- 10%. When the fans are plugged into the pump itself they are speed controlled based upon the profile selected on the unit. Each profile has a speed range based on coolant temperature in the pump head. The pump itself is always at 100%, it will not change based on temperature.

Hi,

I had a machine made for me by a company and it comes with a H80, however they had attached the fans to the motherboard so that the fans were like jet engines. I haven't got the installation guide as they did not send that so I would like to make sure it is correctly installed.

The fans are plugged into a power splitter and then into the cpu block and I can now control the speed, the little 1 wire that comes off the power molar is plugged into CPU fan.

The fan on the back of the unit blows air out and the one inside the case is blowing through the radiator. Is that correct?

I notice on the picture on the website that the cooling cables come out of the bottom of the radiator, on my install they come out of the top, not sure if that makes a difference.

So i'm not sure if the fans are the right way round and i'm not sure if the radiator is the wrong way round and if that matters?

Any help would be ideal

thanks

So i'm not sure if the fans are the right way round and i'm not sure if the radiator is the wrong way round and if that matters?

The Corsair installation guide that came with the product has a diagram that shows the fans as an intake. It is really a matter of personal preference and your individual case setup. If the fans are setup as intake instead of exhaust(your current setup) you will see a slight drop in CPU temperature but the case temps will go up if there is not enough airflow from the other fans in your case. Its probably not worth it to change them unless you need the absolute lowest CPU temps over system temps. The orientation of the radiator also a personal preference. It wont make any difference to performance if the radiator hoses are on the top or bottom, it is just what works for your system.

The Corsair installation guide that came with the product has a diagram that shows the fans as an intake. It is really a matter of personal preference and your individual case setup. If the fans are setup as intake instead of exhaust(your current setup) you will see a slight drop in CPU temperature but the case temps will go up if there is not enough airflow from the other fans in your case. Its probably not worth it to change them unless you need the absolute lowest CPU temps over system temps. The orientation of the radiator also a personal preference. It wont make any difference to performance if the radiator hoses are on the top or bottom, it is just what works for your system.

My I7 2600K is running at 1604mhz and the processor cores are as follows;

Should I be seeing lower temps, the case I have is the CM Storm Enforcer

I have no installed the internal fan so that it blows into the radiator rather than sucking out and it seems to work better, on Prime95 at stock on my I7 2600K I am not going over 47c. Not sure if that is good or not.

I have another question, when I am in the bios and testing the H80, I notice a difference in spin up between low and balanced but when I go to 3 performance nothing seeems to change. Does the H80 add more speed when under load or is something wrong?

Thanks

Speaking of stuff missing from the installation guide the plastic thing on the back plate, is that meant to stay on? I'm guessing yes not sure.

Actually looking at it you can't take it off, still correct me if i'm wrong. :P

Yes, that piece stays ON. It's there on purpose and should not be removed (and actually can't without cutting / ripping it).

• 3 weeks later...
I have no installed the internal fan so that it blows into the radiator rather than sucking out and it seems to work better, on Prime95 at stock on my I7 2600K I am not going over 47c. Not sure if that is good or not.

I have another question, when I am in the bios and testing the H80, I notice a difference in spin up between low and balanced but when I go to 3 performance nothing seeems to change. Does the H80 add more speed when under load or is something wrong?

Thanks

I think that what ever setting you choose 1,2, or 3 the fans will not go any faster than is necessary to keep temp levels. If you do a lot of gaming where cpu is under more load the controller will increase the speed to max of selected mode Level 3 will just allow it to increase more. It all depends on the CPU temperature. Don't know if you can set a target temp or not (would be nice if could).

That is my interpretation of the controller and may be not correct.

So what is the correct way to plug this in? I still don't quite get it.

I have the 2 fans pluged into the pump and the pump plugged in via Molex straight to the PSU, it works fine but I have to run a case fan off the CPU header so the system will boot. I tried using just the 3 pin on the pump into the CPU header without the molex but it did't work, no power to the pump or fans.

Do you have to use both the Molex & then 3 pin into the CPU fan header? If so how are people getting around the cable management, my moxlex plugs are routed around the back of the case but the 3 pin is right next to the molex on the pumb, it won't reach the mobo, not even close.

• Corsair Employees
Do you have to use both the Molex & then 3 pin into the CPU fan header? If so how are people getting around the cable management, my moxlex plugs are routed around the back of the case but the 3 pin is right next to the molex on the pumb, it won't reach the mobo, not even close.

Yes the 4 Pin connects to the PSU for power and the 3-pin plug with only one wire connects to the CPU Fan header so it will not give you that error for no fan detected.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Step 6: Connect pump power header to PSU, and 3-pin pump RPM wire to any motherboard 3 or 4-pin header.

I connected the 3-pin to my GA-X79S-UP5 cpu_fan header.

The other cable, which I'm guessing is a molex cable?, won't reach my PSU (HX750 at the bottom of a Corsair 600T case), but that PSU doesn't seem to have a molex port/connector anyway?

If it's meant to plug into SATA power, any ideas on where that might happen on my board? The only open port within range of the cord is a SATA/USB3 port that doesn't look like it'll accept the power header cable from the pump.

Regardless, the H80i isn't powering on and I'm consistently getting core temps af 91 degrees C.

I have a feeling that I'm missing something. Any help is appreciated.

Archived