Corsair Community

A possible fix for Force 3 120 GB temporal freezing issue

mx70

My replacement drive (1124) used to have temporal freezing occurring at random point. I have tried all the suggestions by Yellowbeard but had no luck.

Yesterday, I saw there was a BIOS update for my motherboard (p8p67 pro) which claimed to improve system stability. So I updated the BIOS and rebooted but it didn't help. Then, I also enabled hot swap on the drive in the BIOS settings which I read from somewhere that it fixed this freezing issue.

Since then, I am not experiencing any freezing which I used to have a several times within an hour. So I think this is something worth trying out and it only takes a few minutes.

So in summary,

1. Update to the latest BIOS

2. Enable hot swap in BIOS

3 (optional?). Update to the latest IRST (optional?)

I say the last step is optional because the freezing issue seem to have been fixed after step 2. After not seeing any freezing for a couple of hours, I updated to the latest IRST. For anyone who is not familiar with IRST, it stands for Intel Rapid Storage Technology.

I followed the same advice as above too. I had increased the voltage on the PCH (or was it PHC...), that didn't help. I really don't undersand the struggle with Corsair and Sandforce, the problem is easy to prompt. Do some heavy I/O while multitasking.

Made the above changes, system seemed stable. Ran backup while doing a virus scan and opening every application I could - no freezes.

Half wondering if the problem is IRST related. I am currently running 10.6

BTW - there is a Beta BIOS on the Asus board, not upgrading to that one...

looks like it might be related to LPM and intel RST controller.

I'm going to try this registry change to disable LPM on Intel RST from a competitors forum that uses the same chipset.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port0]

"LPM"=dword:00000000
"LPMDSTATE"=dword:00000000
"DIPM"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port1]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port2]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port3]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port4]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port5]

Just a quick update. I have been using my system for about a week now and I have not seen any freezing. For me, installing IRST driver did not seem to affect the stability of my system and its version is 10.5.0.1027 which appears as the latest driver on Asus web page.

I'm running the latest RST drivers and bios. It doesn't seem to crash under load, but only when it's been idle for a while. I lowered my PCH voltage back to standard, and it seemed to drop out more. It's now back up to 1.15 and I am testing again with the registry settings above. I guess this is the best we can do until SandForce releases a fix for the sf-2281 chipset.

Archived