Corsair Community

Best memory for Lenovo T520? (I used the mem finder)

wombatpete

Just bought a Lenovo T520 with the minimum memory (because it didn't seem worth their price of the upgrade).

So I have:

VBB 2GBPC3-10600DDR3 1333SODMM

That's too little, of course.

I'd like to choose the fastest and most efficient memory that matches the machine. The configurator shows me what will work, but not why I should choose one of those options rather than the other.

If I go for 8GB, would it be best to have 4 & 4 or 8 & 0?

Would one 8 GB stick plus one stick of what the computer comes with (1GB or 2GB) be better or worse than one 8GB stick plus nothing (or 4GB plus 4GB)?

And what are the memory parameters I should be concerned with?

Thanks to all in advance!

If I go for 8GB, would it be best to have 4 & 4 or 8 & 0?

Would one 8 GB stick plus one stick of what the computer comes with (1GB or 2GB) be better or worse than one 8GB stick plus nothing (or 4GB plus 4GB)?

Your comuter supports two sticks at a max of 4gig's each stick. So it would be 2x4gig sticks that will come in the package. There currently are no 8 gig sticks for laptops.

Do not mix the new sticks with the old either. Chances are the computer will simply not post . Just use the two new sticks that you are planning on getting and toss the old out or put it away somewhere incase you would ever have to RMA the memory. That way you would have the original to fall back on.

Reall for your laptop the only thing i would be concerned with as far as parameters is capacity(you know thats going to be 8 gig) and speed. Your laptop run 1333mhz memory and does not support anything faster. So you will need 8 gig's 1333mhz memory

Thanks!

The only thing I'd add is that - in spite of the fact that various memory configurators list a speed of 1333MHz - several (and I repeat - SEVERAL, because I didn't trust it at first) representatives of tech support & of sales at Lenovo officially told me that yes, the computer can easily handle 1600MHz memory.

Archived