Corsair Community

Loud noise from AX1200 without load (with recording)

dasenov

Hello,

I just assembled a new water-cooled PC specifically to make it very quiet only to find out that the power supply generates a really annoying noise. I'm not sure it is a coil whine, it sounds more like the fan is not well balanced or something. I read the sticky and tried running the PC with all possible power saving options disabled, but it did not help.

I tried to attach a file in the post, but I kept getting a "Service unavailable" error so I uploaded it here: http://djwild.no-ip.org/ax1200noise.flac

It's a flac audio file with a recording of the noise. I tried compressing it with mp3 but the noise did not sound at all like it is.

The audio file contains three sections:

0-25 sec: pc boot - the power supply noise levels are low

25-35 sec: supply noise after 20 minutes of up time - already getting quite loud

35-46 sec: supply noise after 2 hours of up time - even without load the sound is really loud and annoying. Definitely the loudest component in my system.

I recorded this using my phone, which was placed outside of a closed case just behind the power supply. At the time the recordings were made the PC was idle in the Windows Desktop without any open applications. In between I have only been using a browser.

Is this sound normal when the system is not under load? Should I RMA this unit and do you think a new one would not make this noise?

Thank you for your help.

• Corsair Employees

Have no Idea what a dot flac file is and we cannot install third party programs here. You need to convert it to a wav or MP3.

But you should check the Ground where the PSU in plugged in and are you using an APC or battery back-up?

Here is a wave file link:

http://djwild.no-ip.org/ax1200noise.wav

I am not using any APC/battery backups. And what do you mean by check the Ground? There are many other electronic devices connected to the same plug (typically not at the same time) and they work just fine. This includes an HTPC and another PC and with those there is no problem with the PSU.

• Corsair Employees
All of the newer switching PSU require a stable ground to operate properly and this symptom can be caused from a faulty ground, if you have a grounded extension cord try using an outlet near your kitchen sink or from the bathroom or where your laundry is. all the outlets near water have to be grounded. this can help to check for that or use a ground tester on the out let they are fairly cheap from the hardware store.

Using a grounded extension cord, I just tested the plug directly next to my kitchen sink, the result is the same as before. I strongly believe that where I live (Switzerland) all plugs in the home must properly grounded.

Anyway the problem persists. Did you hear the noise, can you confirm that there is something wrong with it?

Something I forgot to mention earlier is that this is as loud as the PSU gets and it doesn't matter if it is under load or not. It seems like it always pushes the fan to the maximum regardless of how much power is drawn from the unit.

• Corsair Employees

I did hear the noise it sounds like fan or bearing noise to me what I can hear Are you sure its coming fro the PSU? Have you tried to stop some of the other fans momentarily to verify that?

If you are sure its from the PSU you are welcome to request an RMA and we can try and repalce it.

I made a test by running just the power supply fan:

Test setup:

In my case I have a total of 11 fans:

1 PSU fan

3 Case fans that come together with the 800D case (running at 900 RPM according to the manual)

7 Fans for the water cooling loops (using a fan controller and running at 900 RPM each)

For the test I disconnected the 3 case fans completely and started the computer. Waited until the PSU got noisy and completely shut off the remaining 7 fans using the fan controller. At that point the only two things making noise in the computer are the PSU and water pumps. The water pumps are extremely quiet so they are not the problem. Initially when I was filling and bleeding my water loops, I was running just the pumps using an old 400W PSU and they were completely inaudible.

Here is the recording:

http://djwild.no-ip.org/ax1200-only-noise.wav

This was done with the computer idle in the Windows desktop without any running applications.

The first 7 seconds the PSU fan is running together with the 7 other fans. After the beep, the 7 fans for the water cooling are turned off and only the PSU fan remains. Not surprisingly the noise level does not change much as I have specifically built the system to be extremely quiet.

In this case I will proceed with an RMA request. I just hope the new unit does not have a similar problem.

Thanks for the help RAM GUY!

Archived