Corsair Community

Another dead Survivor GTR (64gb)

Geko45

I've had my 64gb Survivor GTR for awhile now (probably close to a year). I came here originally looking for support on why the drive would rattle in its case (turned out to be just loose screws). Saw the firmware update for my drive and made a backup of my data and applied it and restored. All seemed good.

Yesterday, in mid use, the drive died on me. Still had a drive letter, but when accessed it reported "Drive not formatted". Tried it on three different computers with the same result. Finally, I broke down and tried to reformat, but that errored too. I remembered the firmware update and re-applied it and to my surprise that worked. The drive was empty, but it was back.

I restored from my several month old backup and began updating it from other sources with recent changes, but it again failed mid-use. This time the drive shows as a "removable disk" and any attempt to access it causes a prompt of "Please insert disk into drive". I could probably re-apply the firmware, but I think I would be dead again in short order.

The numbers on my drive (shiny usb connector) are:

Top side:

G64G

Bottom side:

10186014-0

I anticipate that I will be instructed to RMA as many others have, but looking at the RMA link, my exact product is not shown. There isn't a 64gb Survivor GTR present. I see ordinary Survivor and Survivor GT in the 64gb size, but no GTR. What should I do?

PS. Corsair should really step up to the plate on this issue. There have been more than enough cases reported to indicate a fundamental problem with these drives.

• Corsair Employees

Did you try the firmware update posted at the top of this section?

If so and it will still not work properly please contact our customer service with your previous RMA and they should take care of you.

Did you try the firmware update posted at the top of this section?

If so and it will still not work properly please contact our customer service with your previous RMA and they should take care of you.

With all due respect, did you read my post at all before responding? As I said, I applied the firmware update found on this forum several months ago when it first came out. The drive failed AFTER the update was applied. I then applied it again after it failed and that borught the drive back to life (although with total data loss) and the drive failed again within 24 hours.

The firmware update DOES NOT WORK. Not before failure, not after failure, not ever. The drive will always fail again eventually.

Also, what previous RMA are you referring to as I never mentioned having done one before? Also, I only asked one question in my whole post and you didn't answer it. I still need an answer to it before submitting an RMA.

And one additional question, if I do RMA this drive, won't I receive one with the same firmware (and defect) as my current drive? How does that solve my problem? I could still lose all my data at any moment.

Is Corsair's position on this to just pretend this proven defect doesn't exist?

• 4 weeks later...
Please contact our customer as I suggested previously and they will take care of you.

No they won't. They'll give me an RMA to send my drive back and then send me out another with the exact same defect. Corsair's refusal to address this defect is inexcusable. I'll never buy another Corsair product, nor recommend one in either a personal or professional capacity.

• Corsair Employees
Well no not exactly; they should pay for the shipping and you can talk to them and they will work this out with you. I am sorry but from Tech support that is all I can suggest. Did you at least speak to them?

Hello RAM GUY -

I love my GTR 64GB, but it has fallen victim to the same issue that everyone else seems to be experiencing. The computer recognizes the connection and even loads "the drivers" for the USB key; however, the drive does not show up in my list of available drives and the notorious Blinking Blue Light remains blinking until disconnected :)

I use this to back up my companies important database information on a daily basis and hope that it can be repaired or replaced. I bought it early April via Amazon.

This device has not seen any of the harsh conditions that it has been designed for. I transfer it from my backpack to my computer and back again at the end of each week day.

Can you help me ??

Thank you,

Victor

• Corsair Employees
Yes please use the link on the left and request an RMA and we can replace it for you, if you have had it replaced before please contact our customer service with your previous RMA and they will take care of you.

Archived