Corsair Community

Intel DP67BG + Corsair PSUs = FAIL

skler000

Hello everyone, I'm building my new pc and I have a nasty problem that prevents me from declaring it done: I had a E6600 + 6870, powered by a VX550W, everything worked great; last month I switched to Sandy Bridge and the problems started: I bought an Intel DP67BG, a 2500K and a 6970, using my "old" VX550W, and as soon as I booted the first time, a loud electrical noise came from the PSU, and it has remained since: keep in mind that it never did this on the old configuration! Although everything else has been working great for several weeks, that noise was quite annoying so I filed an RMA, and bought a new TX650 V2 to use in the meantime my VX550W was in RMA... Today I plug the TX650 V2 in and the computer powers on, the fans spin (at maximum speed), the LED on the power button and hdd activity stay on (they are normally off) and the pc doesn't boot, actually doesn't even POST, since the DP67BG has many diagnostic LEDs that tell you which components have POST'd, and none of them is on... the only difference in the wires between the VX550W and the TX650 is that the former has an 8-pin connector to the mobo, and the latter has a 4+4 (in addition to the 24-pin connector). If I put the 550W back in it works again (and the loud-pitched noise remains).

So: faulty PSU(s) or crappy mobo? I think it's the second, mainly because of the problems I had the first time with the 550: it was working great with the old build, as soon as I switched mobo it started making noise. I suspect it's something about the power phases (the dp67bg has only 6, the asus and gigabyte have 12). I read on some forums i'm not the first to have problems with this mobo + psu combination (http://communities.intel.com/thread/20302, 4th post down), what do you think? Thanks

The PSU dosnt have enough juice to power up the devices

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-radeon-hd-6000/hd-6870/Pages/amd-radeon-hd-6870-overview.aspx#3

you need at least 500w to power that card. then an extra 100w for the CPU. this may be your problem.

I'd recommend a 700w PSU

Ehm... no. I had a 6870 before, now I have a 6970, which is actually even more energy demanding (the AMD website states that a 550W is needed). But this is the total wattage of the PSU, not just the VGA: modern graphics cards don't consume more than 300 W (see: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/Radeon_HD_6970/27.html), and that's the maximum which is almost never reached during normal use (browsing, games, which are the only things I do). There's no way a VGA uses 500W.

HOWEVER, the fundamental point is that my Corsair VX550W works great with the 2500K + 6970, the only problem is that it makes a high-pitched noise, but never turned off, while the system with the TX650 V2 doesn't even POST! So it's not a matter of power deficit, since the 550W works good: it's a matter of faulty PSUs or incompatible combination of mobo+PSU.

@ComputerBuildin Just get the Asus P8P67 EVO/PRO, they are better, I'll buy one next week to replace the DP67BG and let you know if the tx650 v2 works. Good luck

@ComputerBuildin Just get the Asus P8P67 EVO/PRO, they are better, I'll buy one next week to replace the DP67BG and let you know if the tx650 v2 works. Good luck

I checked it out, its nice. But are you sure its compatible to everything im getting?

Specs:

Nvidia GTX 460 1 Gb (May SLi this with another later on. fyi.)

Corsair PSU TX 850w v2

500 gb WD HDD

intel i5 2500k sandy bridge (Thinking of the overclock GHz, May be around 3.6+)

Vengeance 8 gb dual channel 1600 MHz DDR3

Also, Im getting the v8 cooler from Coolmaster, its kinda big.. And I noticed this also with the intel mobo. Those blue fins are kinda close and im wondering if there in the way of it, I cant really tell. But I hope not.

Note: I checked some reviews on it and it turns out it has many boot+post+buggy bios problems. still a good board? :p people have also had some crossfire or SLi problems with the top slot, apparently some are faulty.

I have had no trouble with my Intel DP67BG & Corsair AX750. I have used the same PSU for 2 different versions of the motherboard (First version that had the SATA chipset fault & the second version that had the SATA chipset fix).

Just thought I would try re-assure you that the Intel DP67BG + Corsair PSU situation is not hopeless. I wish you luck trying to get your issue resolved.

While the intels mobo can be faulty, intel will acually do something about it, and while the asus P8P67 (As reccomended to me) is faulty, and asus dosent do much and would take longer to send it back. So id rather deal with a intel mobo instead. Just so you know its the DP67BG + TX850w v2

Archived