Corsair Community

Any difference in buying one 16 GB kit or two 8 GB kits?

jamesaevans

I've just purcahsed a Asus P8P67 Pro motherboard and am looking for 16GB of DDR3 1600Mhz memory to go with it. The blue vengence memory should go nicely with the blue heatsinks on the motherboard.:D:

I'm looking at the 16GB Vengence Blue kit (CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B), but I can pick up two of the 8GB kits (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B) for a cheaper price.

Both kits have the same specifictaion (DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600), Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.50V), so is there any benefit in picking up the more expensive 16GB kit, or should I save some money and pick up two of the 8GB kits?

James

It's never recommended to mix memory. Get the 16 GB kit.

Even when buying 2 brand new and identical 8GB kits?

Is there some additional testing which takes place in the factory to ensure the modules in the 16GB kit are compatible?

James

There's no way to guarantee that 2 random packs, regardless of when they were bought or their part number or even ICs, are compatible with each other without testing.

Yes, all kits are tested.

the 2 links in my sig explain the technicals:)

Hi Synthohol,

Thank you for posting those links, both make very interesting reading.

I've found a 16GB kit at a different retailer for about £10 more that buying two separate 8GB kits. Therefore, I think the small price differential is worth it for the guarantee that the four modules have been tested to work together.

James

Archived