Corsair Community

Heatspreader Is being bent by the heatsink

fustrun

Hey !

Well just bought compponets for my new PC and as it turnes out i bought x2 kit of Vengance ram and a Scyth Ninja 3 heat sink for my CPU now i have installed the ram and the heat sink and when i finished screwing it i noticed that the first slot of ram is being abstracted by the heatsink, now what came out is that only the ram's heatspreader is bent backwards in a wierd way but as i peek inside i see that the ram itself which is half of the hight of the heatspreaders is standing straight . so my question is will it cause any problems or will it over heat by touching the heatsink or it won't cause problems ?

Thanks in advance !

I screwed it on pretty good, i think that more likely the pressure pushes the ram away rather then the ram having an effect on the cooler.

Pics attached.

And bythe way i've noticed Vengance ram sometimes come in blue or black mine is blue and i want to buy another pair and i've seen them in black color and they seem to be they same specs, are they ? Thanks for the help !

PICT0003.thumb.JPG.982ee2422885f68aa0b01a5fd8db63d4.JPG

PICT0004.thumb.JPG.9ec459e78386700e66c33ff33029b797.JPG

PICT0005.thumb.JPG.5652743e0cac36873ff9a1fa2f08cc03.JPG

On another note you can see on the third picture that the cooler's fins or however they call :P are bent, they weren't bent from the pressure i bent them so the ram would have more room, the onlything that was bent from pressure was the heatspreader.

yikes!!

i would bend/cut the bottom few fins on the cpu heatsink to give clearence to the ram.

personally i would bend the cpu sink and swap positions of the ram. the ram sinks are glued on tight so it may have pulled an IC off but best to check.

certainly not an ideal install at all. the ram sits crooked in the slot too, not good.

sorry to see.

if no damage was done allready and the chips are intact what are the chances for something to go wrong if i keep it this way ? i dont think anything could happen but pls correct me if im wrong, since it's impossible for me to take them out without taking off the heat sink and that's hell of a work so i want to know its worth it, and i have no tools to cut the heat sink :(

the ram is on an angle in the slot, that cannot be good. even if you pushed up on the cpu heatsink fins to allow clearance and allw the ram so sit proper in the slot that would be better.

you didnt think something was wrong when tightening down the heatsink and you had more resistance on one side?

plus the pressure on the CPU will not be even. best to remove, modify and reinstall. you may be sorry later, its not worth it.

First thanks for the reply !

in the mean time i decided to power it up and see what happens, and it works . . everythings fine for now checked the bios and windows but if a chip would have been torn away then i doubt it would have booted up, and as i said the ram inside is in a straight angle the only thing being bent is the air spreaders of the ram.

I didnt feel the resistance, if i did i would have stopped obviously.

I dont have the tools to cut the damn thing if i had i would :/ and now i'm afraid to touch the damn thing. :)

Archived