Corsair Community

CM2X1024-6400 problems

vader213

Hello

I have two 1 gig sticks of cm2x1024-6400 (xms2) ram which have worked fine for a couple of years and i purchased two more sticks of the same memory, but after switching the pc back on it wont post. When i put new memory in on its own it still wont post, but works fine when the old memory is used. Only noticable difference is the version numbers are different on the newer memory. All the bios settings are set to auto. The voltage on the ram says 1.90v, but its set to 1.80v in the bios.

Think thats everything.

• Corsair Employees
Mixing memory can be a crap shoot sometimes But I would try and install just one of the new modules then use the CLRTC Jumper on the MB with the power and MB Battery removed clear BIOS then install the battery and connect the power and see if it will post and let you into the BIOS, if so then just load setup defaults and set the memory frequency manually to DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.0 Volts then add the second module when its off and see if it will post and see the whole amount, if so then install the other set of modules in the right slots so you are not mixing the sets and see if it will post then load setup defaults and set the setting suggested previously and set the NB Voltage to +.2 Volts and disable legacy USB then test the system with http://www.memtest.org

Hi

Thanks for replying and i have tried what you said the new ram just wont post. Ive removed the battery, cleared the clrtc, removed the power lead and i've tried a single stick of the new memory on its own and it wont post and tried the other new stick and still no post, but it works fine with the old memory which is exactly the same apart from the version no. Could it be i have got 2 sticks of faulty memory? Would flashing the bios fix it?

A BIOS flash could very well fix the problem. The chances of you getting 2 sticks that dont work at all are astronomical.I'm not saying that 100% it will, but there is a good chance. The difference in version number refers to a different IC that the module is comprised of. This is the exact reason it is not suggested to mix memory (even the same part #)as you have found out that it can and most always causes problems between the 2 different chips used to make the module. A BIOS update can often fix those problems. But don't be surprised if they work after words , but at less than rated speeds.

Thanks for all your replies and i have updated the bios to the latest version, but my pc still wont post with the new memory and i've switched the memory all ways so im out of ideas (no other pc to test them on either). I'll request an RMA and take it from there. Thanks again :)

Just letting you all know that i got the third stick of memory working (i sold the 4th stick). After updating the bios i altered the DDR frequency to its lowest setting then changed the DRAM voltage to 2v and the NB voltage to 1.12v then saved it. I then installed the 3rd stick of ram and it booted fine so i then changed the DDR frequency back to 800 and its all working fine.

Archived