Corsair Community

Getting the H50 to work with IPIBL-LB motherboard?

woodchuck99

I have converted an HP a6400f into more of a gaming pc and am in the process of adding a Corsair H50 water cooler for the cpu. I have everything installed as the instructions layed out. What I cannot get passed is the bios boot error telling me that "The CPU fan has failed." The CPU fan power plug in on the mobo is a 4 pin spot and the system fan is a 3 pin. The only way I can get the computer to fully boot is to plug the 3 pin pump connector into the 4 pin cpu fan plugin and then press F2 after getting the bios error "the system fan has failed" but then the radiator fan isn't powered/working. The specific motherboard I am using is the IPIBL-LB (Benicia) motherboard. Is there any way for the H50 to work with this motherboard?

also, this motherboad comes with a very locked down bios so changing anything that is relevant to this problem is out of the question.

You will have to connect the stock fan that came your system and use another connection for the fans and pump on the H50.

by stock fan do you mean the stock cpu heatsink fan (80mm, 4-pin connection) or the stock system fan (120mm, 3-pin connection). I currently have the original 120mm system fan still plugged in where it was from stock when it came with the case. Also if it helps, my psu has a TR2 RX-850 in the name.

• Corsair Employees
I am not sure what you are trying to say here so let me say it in a different way. Some MB's need the CPU Fan to be above a certain speed to allow the system to post properly usually like 2500 + RPM and if you get that message when you have the FAN from the H-50 connected then common sense would suggest this is the possible issue and why I suggested using the fan that came with your system, I assume you purchased this as a complete system as the MB Model number is an OEM Part from what I can find, shows to be from a COMPAQ/HP system.

Thank you very much for the help/input RAM GUY. I found a solution to my problem that is in parallel with your theory. If you have everything plugged into the correct sockets (3pin pump connector into 3pin system fan socket and 4pin 120mm radiator fan connector plugged into 4pin cpu fan socket (at least this is the way it is for my motherboard)), you just have to be sure that enough power is getting to the pump and fan through the motherboard. All I did was remove my PCI Data/Fax Modem that was in one of my PCI slots. I figured that removing the amount of power it pulls from the motherboard and letting it reboot to send as much power as it could to the cpu fan and system fan sockets on the motherboard would solve the problem and it did for me. If you are having the same problem, try to remove any unnecessary components from the motherboard (generally only from the pci slots) or try to provide the motherboard with more power from the power supply.

Archived