Corsair Community

MSI Z68A-GD80 and RAM

Wheelzup

I'd really like to get at least 16GB of memory running on my current computer. I went through the memory configuator and there was nothing there for my particular board. I was trhinking that the Corsair Vengeance Blu 16 GB PC3-12800 1600mHz DDR3 240-Pin SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit for Intel and AMD Platforms CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B kit would be perfect and allow for a slight over-clock. Am I in the right ballpark or is there a better route to go? The system will be used for pretty much everything from video and image editing, website design, and plenty of gaming, mostly FPS.

I picked up that 16GB kit and it got here early Tuesday so I dropped it in and hit the power button and what do you know it fired right up though it was at the default settings. It was prompting me to enter the settings so I did and switched the memory over to XMP which automatically pushed it up to 1600 which is where it should be. The strange thing is the memory voltage is running at 1.67 Should I bck it down to the 1.5 the memory is supposed to be running at? I ran the windows preformance tool and everything is pegged at 7.9 except for the CPU but it's running at its stock speed no overclocking on it just yet.

I'm quite happy with the over-all performance of my system now.

The strange thing is the memory voltage is running at 1.67 Should I bck it down to the 1.5 the memory is supposed to be running at?
XMP profile is correct. It requires the extra voltage to overclock the memory. Just leave er where it is!:)

Okay now I'm having some issues with my new RAM. It had been working like a dream no matter what I was doing. Today I was just mssing around on FaceBook when out of nowhere I got a BSOD. The system shut itself down so I went to restart it and it started looping, it would power up and back off again constantly. I tried resetting the BIOS (shorting it out) but that didn't help. I pulled a single stick out and it still wouldn't run. I pulled another stick out and it fired right up. Once I got back to my desktop a message box opened with the information on the cause of the BSOD here is what it read:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode: 50

BCP1: FFFFF900C6A965E8

BCP2: 0000000000000000

BCP3: FFFFF9600016325F

BCP4: 0000000000000002

OS Version: 6_1_7601

Service Pack: 1_0

Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:

C:\Windows\Minidump\071711-12292-01.dmp

C:\Users\Burnard\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-51651-0.sysdata.xml

I tried a search to find the files that are supposed to help with the problem but can't find the darn things. I'm not sure if it's a problem with my board a MSI Z68A-GD80 or the memory or possibly my PSU which is an 850W Corsair.

The board is or seems to be running fine right now even with the XMP enabled. I did however notice one thing, when I had the entire 16GB kit installed it set the RAM voltage at 1.67 as I mentioned in and earlier post. Now with just 8GB installed and XMP enabled it has dropped back to the 1.5 that the memory was designed to run at. It is running in dual channel mode with just the two 4GB modules installed.

Any idea why such a difference and any suggestions that I can try to get it back up running with the full 16GB's.

I just updated the BIOS to 17.1 which is the most recent MSI version for the Z68A-GD80. In the description of the update it says that it's supposed help with memory compatability. I set the memory at 1333 and put the two other sticks back in and it continues to loop not even posting. I pulled two sticks and it comes right up at the 1333 setting and it went right back to 1600 at 1.5 volts when I renabled the XMP.

Archived