Corsair Community

So Is My Corsair P3 128 GB dying?

RAM Guy I believe I sent you an PM on Anandtech forums to have a look at the thread I made: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2175844

(you are yellowbeard right?)

..the freezing described on link above is now getting worse now it's freezing while I'm just browsing the net using firefox.

Disk Info and Crystal Disk all show the drive its in good health and the SMART data is good. I also passed memtest86+ to make sure it wasn't my ram. CHKDisc doesn't help and It won't let me run sfc /scan now (it freezes)

For those of you with the freezing issues like mine but can actually boot can you access any the folders manually (say the windows folder) off the ssd? or does it freeze like mine.

Oh and secure erase didn't work either I'm out of ideas, so should I RMA? and If possible can i get an advanced RMA?

Yes, same issues I've had now with two drives, both P3-128's, and it gradually gets worse/worse then your computer barely boots, then freezes on boot and you're done.

backup your data.

according to corsair there is no issues with these drives... that's probably because only a few actually bought them.

there is a definite design flaw in this drive too, regardless of size, as i've seen people with 64gb versions have the exact same issues.

Are you running Windows 7? Not sure if that matters at all, I'm using win7 ult 64-bit

Yeah, I read a few threads on here already stating the same exact symptoms I'm having.

The full list of system spec's is under my username so yeah it's win7 ultimate 64bit.

Right now I'm playing around with the PCH voltage to see if it helps...

Just kind of annoying when I was playing BF: BC2 all holiday weekend without any freezing and now it's having a **** fit again.

LOL, started noticing it with BF2 : BC2 as well, then sure enough, a few days later, my worst fears come true again.

What would upping the PCH voltage do? I couldn't think that would make a bit of difference, as the drive did in all fairness work very well for 2-3 months.

My gripe is, I DO NOT want another one! I really think only a tiny portion of people bought this drive when compared to the SSD market.

Meh, it was one of the fixes for the force series drives that offered some stability increases to the ones having issues before the fireware fixes. Just thought I'd try it.

:( It'd didn't work and neither did changing AHCI back to IDE mode.

I'm just annoyed cause I bought this drive cause I heard they were stable at the time, offered the best performance to price ratio and I refused to support OCZ and their renaming crap

Are they? Thought they were one in the same. Oh well...

Well out of curiosity I let it freeze again and while frozen pulled the SATA cable out, which inexplicably unfroze the drive so it can BSOD about that... awkward.

Also tried different sata port and cable still freezes up.

and it froze agaim

Quiksilver: Ram Guy and Yellowbeard are 2 different people.

res0n0xg: There's nothing wrong with the drive series.

That's funny, there's many reported cases just on this forum alone of the same problem with no resolution to a fix.

I'm curious as to what you think that means? All user error right?

That's funny, there's many reported cases just on this forum alone of the same problem with no resolution to a fix.

I'm curious as to what you think that means? All user error right?

Just because there's X number of people with a similar issue doesn't mean the driver series is FUBAR or anything. Neither of us know how many they've sold and as such, X could be something like 0.0001% of the total amount sold so far. It's all perspective.

Could some be user error? Sure. Could some be bad drives? Sure. Could it be something else? Sure.

Quiksilver: Gigabyte has had some SSD issues in the past and last I heard they had released some beta BIOSes to fix some of the issues. I saw in the other thread that you're running the latest version. Do the release notes for that version mention any SSD fixes? Also, how old is the BIOS? You may want to look to see if there's any beta BIOSes that can help. Fully understand if you wouldn't want to try anything beta though. Could also try the drive in a different system (or a different port anyway, one using a different controller perhaps).

The thing is, I've had zero issues up until now and I also find it funny that about there is roughly 10 other threads that I've read all had there Performance 3 series drives die on them within 3 to 4 months of running them.

Just to answer your question, no none of the BIOS updates addresses any SSD issues. Just a issue with system resetting causing system abnormals errors and a S3 power state fixing.

In fact the whole reason I'm even using the latest BIOS is cause I flashed to it when these issues started happening. So to me BIOS/Motherboard issues are out as far as I am concerned even the above user (while he's a bit angsty about it) has a different motherboard with the same issues...

Also UBCD on a flash drive ftw otherwise I wouldn't be posting on here at all...

nobody bought the drive!! very few, it had no marketing, a very limited early release no one knew about.

the force series probably outsells it 10-1 or more.

so the posts are going to be much fewer and far between when compared to all the crap you see about the force series, not to mention the problems usually flare 2-3 months after useage, making it even worse.

While that is a possibility considering the few users on here with that happening (including yourself). I'm still willing to take that risk and I'll be willing to work with corsair when that time comes.

Also, the drive will be dropped off tomorrow at post office.

you know i'm finding it hard to believe that not more people are having issues.

I have tried number of different chipsets i'm still unable to get the 128 / 240 to work as specificed.

infact 50% of cases it just disapears and pc will need a reboot to make it work again.

Either way hard disk / chipset issue the drive is a very expensive paper weight

from the emails i've had from Corsair / Marvell / intel and even board manufactures everyone has told me to try different things.

sorry if a product cant work properly out of the box on any sata3 controller it shouldn't of been put on the market.

I've had zero problems with mine. Two, in fact - one in a desktop and one in a Macbook Pro. I guess that imputes the same perfect performance to every other Performance 3 drive in existence, right? :P

Joking aside, it's been way better than the SandForce SF-2281 nightmare I've thankfully left behind. The market for the P3 is bigger than a self-selected troubleshooting forum might lead you to believe ...

Registered on these forums specifically so that I can attest the failure of these drives. I am on a second, replacement drive p3-128. It worked with frequent crashes until yesterday, when it stopped and wouldn't even boot windows without going into a blue screen (mv91xx.sys).

Disk check finds disk errors and freezes on 9%. Haven't been able to complete Windows startup recovery either. That is the second drive that died after only 2 weeks or so of use. Slightly different than the first one, which died a lot more gradually, allowing me to back up all my work. This one didn't.

Just because people don't post with regards to failure of these drives to these boards doesn't mean anything. A clever thing would have been to return this drive via the online marketplace that I purchased it from and not bother searching/contacting Corasair support. It would have been free and I would get a refund that I can use on a working product. Just from the first RMA with Corsair I accrued an additional ~$47 of expenses. That doesn't account for time and work/data that was lost as a result of crashes/permanent drive failure.

I am still waiting for a reply to my support case.

Ah, damn.

Totally forgot to put that few thing into the package cause I was in a hurry and according the to my delivery confirmation its at corsair...yesterday (hasn't been processed yet...)

Namely these...

* Please make sure your complete address is included within the package: first/last name, telephone # and complete return address. Be aware, some shipping stores do not include your contact details on the address label.

----It's on the outside label.

* Please include a copy of this RMA Confirmation with your shipment

---- Yeah didn't do that at all..

Case #2132790

Archived