Corsair Community

New build, HX650 making a high pitched whining noise

meowmixer

I just finished building my PC, and it all went pretty well. However, my power supply (HX 650W) makes a very high pitched whining noise enough to drive me crazy. I'm convinced that the noise is coming from the PSU and not any other components. I read the stickied thread about noisy PSUs, but none of those suggestions worked.

What could be the source of this problem? Is there anything else I can try or should I RMA it?

I RMA'd the power supply a few days ago, and got my new one today. It's definitely quieter, but it still emits a high pitched whine occasionally. It might just be that my ears are very sensitive, since my parents couldn't hear it.

I've tried several outlets, but that doesn't seem to make a difference. Is there anything I can do to mitigate the noise?

Hmmm well the problem was the same before and after updating the video drivers. I've also noticed that the whine is less under load.

Ultimately, as long as the noise isn't indicative of something wrong with the power supply (ie as long as the PSU isn't about to blow up), I'm fine with it.

• Corsair Employees

If its so loud you can hear it all the time over other fan noise then I would try and repalce it.

But I have posted this on another thread which would apply to this as well.

Just to be clear the coil wine can be caused by may things for an example a bad ground on the wall outlet can cause it to make noise even a Video card driver can make the PSU wine, so If you have a grounded extension cord try another out let like in your bathroom or kitchen Outlets near water have to be grounded in most building code
s.

Archived