Possible Faulty RAM?

Hello,

I recently assembled a new computer build with the following specifications:

MSI H55M-P33 Motherboard,

Intel Core i3 540 Processor

1.5TB Hard Drive

DVD RW

and Corsair CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 XMS3 4GB DDR3 RAM

I assembled everything correctly and made sure all the cables were locked in.

I started the computer and booted into bios to make sure that the board/ bios detected the CPU and all the other parts. All the parts were detected and everything seemed ready to roll.

So I inserted a Windows 7 disk into the DVD drive and booted into setup.

Once I got to setup I partitioned the hard drive and selected the drive I wanted to install windows on. Everything was going fine until around 5 minutes into the installation the computer just shut down and rebooted. I thought it might be the PSU failure but I checked in the bios and the voltage readings for the components came out correct. So I tried installing windows again one more time but again the computer just rebooted itself.

So I figured there must be a problem in memory or it might be a motherboard problem. Since I had only one stick of RAM, I moved the RAM to all the other slots to make sure that it wasn't a socket problem. But the computer kept restarting itself. I checked to make sure the CPU was housed in correctly and made sure it wasn't overheating. All was fine.

So I ran a memory diagnostic test and here is my problem, while I was running it the computer just rebooted. I tried to run the test again and yet again once it hit a certain area of the memory it just shut off.

I'm not quite sure if this is the RAM problem so this is why I'm posting on this forum. Is this a faulty RAM? Or is it just a bad motherboard?

Thanks,

Hello,

thanks for your reply.

I re-ran the latest version of memtest and here is my result.

Once it reaches a certain sector the computer kind of freezes and then reboots totally.

So I cannot provide you with a comprehensive report on what sectors or parts of memory the RAM has errors on.

So, is the faulty RAM causing an issue that is making my computer reboot out of nowhere?

Thanks,

• Corsair Employees

Normally that would not be a memory issue it could be but computers are designed to over come single bit errors. Did you load setup defaults and disable legacy USB when you ran the test?

Also what are the exact settings you have set for both CPU and memory?

• 2 weeks later...

I to bought 2 packs of TW3X4G1333C9 G XMS3 Platinum Series last friday 7-15-11 and one whole pack of 4GB2(2GBX2) I'm finding out is defective. Tomorrow I'm contacting Amazon about this.

My system is a

Dell XPS 430

Q9650 cpu

running 8GB DDR3 4GB of XMS3 and 4GB 1066 of Kingston value ram,

• Corsair Employees

You are testing them one at a time right?

And I would not suggest mixing memory on that system, so only use one set of modules. If you purchased both sets at the same time I would suggest asking if they can sell you an 8 Gig set and take these back.

Yes I tested them correctly. Amazon is shipping me a replacement set over night. Currently I have the 2 good sticks of XMS3 1333 in with a set of Kingston Value ram 1066 until my replacement set arrives. I'm confused, I bought 2 identical sets 2GBx2Sticks for a total of 8GB? They do not offer a set of 2GBx4 in the XMS only kits of 2 sticks.

• Corsair Employees

I am sorry but officially we do not suggest or support mixing sets even two sets that are the same part number may not work at the tested settings. But you can sometimes get two sets to work together by lowering the memory frequency to DDR1066 and or increasing the memory Voltage to 1.6-1.7 Volts.

The right part number would be CMX8GX3M4B1333C9 or CMX8GX3M4A1333C9 are both Classic modules or CMD8GX3M4A1333C7is a Dominator set of modules and all will work with AMD or Intel.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about the late reply, but I thought that I should just provide an update.

It turned out that the RAM I bought was indeed faulty. I installed another piece of RAM and ran MemTest and it cleared! Then I proceeded on installing Windows and now the desktop works like a charm! I have not had a single failure or error due to RAM, faulty motherboard POS or other hardware related problems. I guess its another thing I learned. Suspect your RAM too if there is a problem with your DIY desktop!Don't always think its the power supply! :) Oh and always breadboard and test individual components. And finally if Memtest ever crashes then its a sign that you should go and change your RAM! Or your Motherboard! :)

Archived