Corsair Community

Question about AX1200 12v 100A

pslind

Hello,

I have ordered this PSU for my modest rig (i7950 stock, gtx 460 OC, 4 hdds, 1600mhz ram), since I want something more futureproof than my current enermax 650w (it has problems on bootup sometimes. if i lover the ram to 1066mhz there's no problem).

Now, I've been reading about the single 12v rail being able to deliver up to 100A.

I wonder, my modest rig would never be able to draw this much amp, but I keep reading that if I have a shortcircuit - the PSU will pump 100A through all parts of my PC - probably frying them in the process. But since my PC will probably only draw say, 50A - this shouldn't happen should it?

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Peter

• Corsair Employees

I am not clear on the question here since it seems you have answered your own question in the statement???

Can you be a little more specific on what you are asking?

And the system information you have listed you should be running at DDR800 not DDR1066, so what is the system configuration.

And what is the problem exactly?

Hi, yeah maybe I was being to vague.

I wanted to know if a shortcircuit somewhere in my pc would cause the psu to fry pc components due to its 100A.

From googling it seems it could since the voltage would keep building on a short circuit. But it is very unlikely to happen though. Other lesser amperaged psu's might not reach such a high amp because they are rated lower or they have multible rails. Their protection circuit will kick in before something fries in most cases. Is what i was able to gather.

On the ram thing. I have the TR3X6G1600C8D kit. Enabling the X.M.P. profile set it to 1600MHz. Setting it to auto or default it goes to 1066Mhz. Never had any problems with either setting IF the system got past POST. But sometimes on 1600MHz I would just get a black screen after powering on the system (which I assumed was because of the PSU).

Edit: I have the Asus P6X58D-E motherboard and the I7-950 CPU.

Peter

Archived