Corsair Community

CMT6GX3M3A2000C8 BSoD issue

DefaultName

Hey everyone, sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place.

I'll give the full story on what's happening and hopefully someone can help me out :).

I noticed the last two or three weeks that I've been getting BSoD's after playing games for a while, totally unpredictable when these would occur. I figured it was an overheating issue so I turned up my Zalman CNPS 10x extreme to maximum fan speed and moved my GPU to a slot furthur away from my CPU/RAM to increase air flow. This had no effect and I continued to get BSoD's between 10mins and 1hour into playing almost any game (and even sometimes when watching movies or videos).

I tried reseating my CPU and applying new thermal paste too but again, no change and I still got the same issues.

I also deconstructed and rebuilt my SSD RAID array and reinstalled windows, reset my CMOS by removing the battery and still no change.

Finally last night I reseated my RAM (took it out, carefully removed any dust and put it back in) however again after playing a game for 10mins I got the same blue screen reading "HARDWARE_ERROR" or something like that.

Finally I removed 1 of the 2gb sticks of RAM and disabled the XMS profile, I have now been running stable on the remaining 4GB of RAM for 10 hours of gameplay without issue.

I find it strange that I removed the possibly faulty stick of RAM first out of the three possible sticks, it seems unlikely to me but given that I've had no furthur issue I can only conclude that the stick I removed is indeed faulty.

I have not overclocked my machine, however I did activate the XMS profile since the CMT6GX3M3A2000C8 RAM is sold as being rated at 2000Mhz. I hope this has not invalidated the lifetime warrenty since I think I would like to request an RMA on this product if there is nothing I can do to stop the BSOD's.

I'm genuinly very upset since I have been a real Corsair fan for a while, you can probably tell by the fact I left testing the RAM until last how much I trusted Corsair and their products and really hope that this can be fixed.

My RAM is approx 12~18months old.

Thanks.

Simply removing a stick is not enough testing to indicate it's bad.

Test one stick at a time in each slot using Memtest86+.

Yeah I did that last night after I posted, I tried each stick one at a time then all 3 together and the results were inconclusive, I got no errors. Very strange this one, I've already run a few other programs made by other companys to stress test parts and nothing has errored. I don't find these memory tests 100% accurate though when it comes to high end RAM.

100 views and thats the only reply? Thats a bit disappointing.

I have put all the RAM back in and so far had no issues, I will put the XMP profile back on now and see if it remains stable. Perhaps the RAM was just not sitting correctly, although I fear the problem will return soon.

I have had the XMP activated since just after my previous post and been stress testing my rig as much as possible with just about everything I can think of, so far no BSoD's since I tested each stick of RAM. I think possibly the act of reseating the RAM a second time has resolved the problem for the moment, however I fear that this thread will be bumped again in a few weeks time when the trouble returns. RAM is a fickle beast to test for problems.

I'd really appricate some feedback from someone at Corsair, I have a bad feeling that if memtest86 isn't picking up faults then they will not accept an RMA, but in real life situations I am getting blue screens quite often, this is very frustrating.

I will run another 4 memtests later today on each stick and on them all.

If you have run memtest that many times and your not getting errors then it's not the ram that is bad . I actually suspect a problem with your MB . A bad RAM socket or something. Try putting any stick back into the slot that you first pulled out and see if the BS's come back.

XMP "IS" actually overclocking your machine you know. You would be alot better off entering your values manually in the bios. Just my opinion.

Yes I do know that, thanks. However this RAM is sold as guaranteed to run in XMP profile (given the motherboard/CPU can handle it, which mine can). When I said I've not overclocked I was refering to the CPU/GPU speeds.

If you have run memtest that many times and your not getting errors then it's not the ram that is bad . I actually suspect a problem with your MB . A bad RAM socket or something. Try putting any stick back into the slot that you first pulled out and see if the BS's come back.

That's a fair point, although I've had faulty RAM in the past which doesn't show up faults in memory tests. I will try all 3 sticks in the secondary RAM slots (DIMM_2) and see if that makes any difference.

Yes, but have you ever looked at what XMP gives you for settings? Usually, it jacks up the QPI and lowers the heck out of your multiplier. I would "suggest" trying a Bclk of 144 X 23, with a 2:14 memory divider,28X Uncore frequency. Just plug in your 8-8-8-24 settings with 1.65 Dimm voltage, Trfc of 88(or even 110). I BET your XMP wants at least +300 vtt(on my EVGA board) which comes out to close to 1.5 volts. Not real sure what Asus calls it though. Just my thoughts again, thats all. I have that SAME memory, and it works like a champ.@2100 mhz. All Cpu's have different ability to run @2000. To be quite honest, the difference between 1600 and 2000 gives you no "seat of the pants" difference.

However this RAM is sold as guaranteed to run in XMP profile (given the motherboard/CPU can handle it, which mine can)

2000mhz is a really high OC for your I-7 or any I-7 for that fact.. There is absolutely no way to tell if any I-7 or any other chip has the ability to run 2000 mhz ram.It's overclocking , it's a total crapshoot anyway. If the memory isn't throwing any errors then i dont believe the RAM is the problem. I can see getting 1 bad stick out of a package, but to get two bad sticks that don't show any signs of problems and both wont run XMP is like 1 in a 10 million chance.

The other thing to consider is your BIOS. all BIOS'e are different. And depending on how well your BIOS likes the memory you have is also dependent on whether or not it will pick up the right settings. You are definitely not alone though...there's thousands of others who cant get XMP to run correctly on their rig either. It happens all the time. Most of the time a BIOS update or just plugging the timings and voltages in manually often solves the problem.

Ok well to simplify solving this issue I have again turned off XMP.

This is strange to develop in the last few weeks since I have had the PC running in XMP for over a year as previously stated. Hopefully this will resolve the problem although I'm sceptical.

That's a fair point, although I've had faulty RAM in the past which doesn't show up faults in memory tests. I will try all 3 sticks in the secondary RAM slots (DIMM_2) and see if that makes any difference.

Did you try this? What were the results here? Or didn't it make a difference?

This is strange to develop in the last few weeks since I have had the PC running in XMP for over a year as previously stated.
Boy, iI had to go back and read through all the posts to make sure i had not missed something.

You stated you have run XMP But i cant find any where, where you say that you have been running XMP for a year and now all of a sudden something has changed in your system and it just quit liking the XMP profile? Is this correct? Sorry if i missed that in previous posts if it's there. I 'm just trying to help, but if this is the case, then it could also be something entirely different.

Ok yeah sorry this post is a little unclear and I do appreciate the help from everyone.

I've had my PC running stable with XMP running for a long time. It's only in the last month (at the most) which I've had stablility issues. I've not added any new hardware and it's without cause that these BSoD's have started happening. For the remainder of this de-bugging unless stated I will have the XMP turned off, running at default settings on all hardware.

To clarify, this error occurs when XMP is activated and when it is deactivated.

I've tested, cleaned and reseated all the hardware and no change, when running 2x2gb sticks it appeared stable however due to the unpredictable nature of the error it is difficult to judge. Sometimes in a demanding game the PC will play flawlessly for hours, however while transfering data between disks last night it BSoD'd after transfering 2TB of data with no applications/games running.

I have not yet had time to move the RAM to DIMM_2 from DIMM_1 however I will do that tonight and post the results.

• Corsair Employees
You can use the link on the left and we can try and replace the modules if you like but from what you have posted and what others have suggested there is a fair chance the issue is not the memory. You might try and enable XMP then set the memory frequency to DDR1600 Manually and see if its more stable just to test.

or the mb is not designed to have ram run in the B slots without anything in the A slots. this is normal.

is there any hint in the event logs?

This is also possible, I will RTFM on my mobo and see what it says.

I have no idea where to find or how to analyse event logs I'm afraid.

Archived