Corsair Community

H70 Idle temps 50c

lewism

Hey,

Just purchased H70 CPU cooler the other day, which was to replace my old Xigmatek Dark Knight. Originally I was running on my old cooler at around 45-52c. I thought I would give your cooler a try and I am getting the same temperatures.

My CPU is an i7 920 D0

I have a HAF 932 case

With stock cpu clock I get 52c idle

With a small overlock to 3.2GHz I get 63c idle.

I am incredibly dissapointed with this product and am wondering what's going on. I have tried reseating it , and even replaced the original TIM with Artic Silver 5. I'm still getting around 48c idle which seems incredibly high. My room temp is always 23c so I'm confused why this is happening. The fans are is the recommended push pull configuration and I have 2x230mm fans drawing the hot air out of the case, one from the top and another from the side.

Any help guys? I'm practically ready to RMA this item. I just want good temps in the end, so I can eventually O.C.

Cheers,

Lewis

...we use Shin Etsu thermal compound and what I would suggest AS5 does not work the best for our coolers I would suggest using a ceramic based compound and you should apply a coat on both the cooler and the CPU almost where its too much.

from a recent post.

also make sure the cpu pump is at 100% and not being throttled by the MB

I've completely disabled q-fan so it shouldn't be throttled. Also I seem to be getting a few degrees lower in temperature with AS5 compared to the original shin etsu that was pre-applied.

I've tried 1.2 and it is stable. I'm still getting 41c idle which I think still seems a little high. tested with prime95 and 62c is my highest under full load. The problem is this is still at stock speed. I want to O.C and get the processor to 4.0Ghz and with these temps at stock I think that will be a problem.

I've tried 1.2 and it is stable. I'm still getting 41c idle which I think still seems a little high. tested with prime95 and 62c is my highest under full load. The problem is this is still at stock speed. I want to O.C and get the processor to 4.0Ghz and with these temps at stock I think that will be a problem.

With my i7-960 I idle in the low 40*C's on stock clock, and overclocked. At 4.160GHz (over the stock 3.2GHz) I peak in the high-80*C's...

Correct me If I'm wrong, but I heard the 920 has fairly good temps even when overclocked. While I've heard that the 960 is prone to high temperatures. Just retested it and am getting around 50c again on idle.

I was using an H50 on my 920 c1/c0 in a push pull fan configuration and got a stable over clock of 4.011 with a 40 degree idle and 85 degree load temp at 1.38volts. Whats your ambient temp? also the I7s are very tolerant of higher peak temps... mid 80s is exceptable.

Throw another fan on it, if you have the room.... and run prime 95 for 24 hours to get your compounds set up. Then have fun overclocking.

I just overclocked my CPU to 3.8Ghz with these settings

CPU rating 20

BCLK 190

PCI 100

Uclk 3047

QPI link auto

CPU voltage 1.22500

DRAM Bus Voltage

DRAM frequency 1523

and I hit 96 under load with prime 95 before my CPU underclocked itself to 200 x 12 to keep cool. Any advice or help?

I just replaced my 960 (using the thermal paste that came with the H70) with my old 920. All I had was some AS5, which I tend to use a bit much of.

Right now my idle temps (100% stock voltage & clock) are an even 38*C across all four cores. This is honestly 3 minutes after installation. I plan to see how far I can OC it, and will post back with some results/temps.

why do you care about idle temps?

it doesn't mean anything. when u overclock ur not concerned with your idle temps its ur load temps. u say u get 62 full load under prime, which still gives u roughly 10 degress more for overclocking headroom if u wanna stay within intel spec temps but you should'nt worry unless u go 80 plus degrees on stress test to start worrying about your cooling. In additioni this is not a *real* water cooling setup and it's suppose to compete with top air coolers so you shouldn't expect the same temps with people with custom loop watercooling system.

To be honest with you, I don't think ur pump is making a good contact with your cpu. U may want to check that pump and backplate are tight.

Your pump has to be working because u say u get 62 on stock volts full load, Make sure that mounting bracket and pump is tight.

I know those metal clips u put on the backplate tends to slip out of that bracket, i recommend u recheck to make sure they are all the way in, and retighten the cooler.

but either way, i don't think u have good airflow in ur case, as u were getting 52c idle even on your dark knight at stock volts...with 23 c ambient..

i think u should have front and side as intakes along with ur h70 as intake and top fan on exhaust.

Archived