Corsair Community

Corsair matched XMS2 800MHzPC6400 Question about adding memory with heat spreaders???

bozobytes

OK,

I Just got back from FRY'S, after buying 4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 PC6400 (800MHz Speed, with heat spreaders) I also FINALLY bought Windows7 64Bit PRO OEM.

I wanted to ask if it makes any difference if I add new memory, the Corsair TWIN 2X4096-6400C5C DU C, that has XMS2 Heat Spreaders, to my existing Corsair matched TWIN 2x2GB DDR2 800MHz PC6400-TWIN2X2048-6400, that I believe DOES NOT have the heat spreaders, as long as they are both PC6400 /800MHz DDR2?

In other words...Would the two separate pairs of sticks be compatible, one pair with heat spreaders and the other pair without? so long as both were PC6400 - 800MHz

I also thought of buying all new DDR2 1066MHz to replace my existing 800MHz memory, but was told I would not notice a huge difference. is this right? if so, i'll wait until i have to build another PC, then ad all new SDram then.

Any problem inserting the two new 2x2GB Ram sticks on the MOBO now, BEFORE I wipe the HDD and install Win7 64 Bit OS?

:roll: Thanks a bunch!

I would use either one set or the other. Corsair does not suggest or support the mixing of memory. And even two sets of the exact same memory have a less than 50% chance of working together. At best you would have to lower the frequency to get them to run together and that just lowers performance instead of helping.

Thank you...I think. :eek:

Ok, so your best case scenario is to do one of the following three things >

(1) Trash my existing XMS 2x2GB PC6400 / 800MHz Ram ( 5-5-5-12 /1.9v), and

buy ALL new matched 8GB XMS 4x2GB PC6400 / 800MHz Ram ( 5-5-5-18 / 1.8v)?

OR

(2) Install new ram anyway and go into BIOS and change the Voltage, then worry about poor performance?

OR

(3) Return this new memory, and try to locate and buy the old Ram sticks that would match the 5-5-5-12/1.9v) :sigh!: I hate to just toss it after paying over $100.00 a few years ago.

#1 is the suggested, recommended and supported ram upgrade scenario.

#2 and #3 are a risk you need to decide if you want to take at your expense.

just to clarify, the only "matched" ram will be sticks that all came from a single package.

having 2 sets even the same part# is considered mixing ram.

Archived