Corsair Community

What could be the problem?

DBO

Hi Folks

Just built a new Sandy Bridge system using an i7 2600K on Asus Maximus IV Extreme with 16GB of Corsair Vengeance memory but I'm having some real issues in getting all four sticks to boot up.

I can boot with any of the DIMM's, either in a single (4GB) or dual (8GB) combination, yet I cannot get 3 or all four modules to boot.

The system just keeps powering down & resetting before the BIOS post message.

Could it be a voltage issue, MB problem or maybe something to do with the RAM itself? Any help or advice on how to troubleshot this is much appreciated.

http://www.docsolutions.com.au/personal/SandyBbuild2011.jpg

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure that you have the latest MB BIOS installed then check that you are not mixing the sets (IE one set that can in the set in slots A1 and B1 and the other matched set in slots A2 and B2.)

Then reset or clear the MB BIOS with the CLRTC jumper or button and see if it will post and let you into the BIOS. If so then load setup defaults and enable XMP and set the memory frequency at DDR1333 manually and see if it will post and pass http://www.memtest.org.

• 1 month later...
Please make sure that you have the latest MB BIOS installed then check that you are not mixing the sets (IE one set that can in the set in slots A1 and B1 and the other matched set in slots A2 and B2.)

Then reset or clear the MB BIOS with the CLRTC jumper or button and see if it will post and let you into the BIOS. If so then load setup defaults and enable XMP and set the memory frequency at DDR1333 manually and see if it will post and pass http://www.memtest.org.

Sorry about the late reply, so firstly thanks for the suggested tips. I've been going round in circles with ASUS on this topic and tried just about everything. They now suggest RMA of the board back via my purchasing vendor and the vendor said I should go through ASUS. As you can see I'm stuck in the middle and not sure what to do anymore.

Anyway, I thought I'd update this thread with what I know and maybe some day someone will find a similar problem and an answer.

Facts:

- The MB will boot with almost any combination of DIMMs up to 12GB (3 sticks). Adding a fourth module to the board will always result in the POST LED getting to its memory checks and then halting (Err Code: 44 or 49) before doing a hard reset. I could not even get to the BIOS with 4 sticks of the RAM. Have tried all versions of BIOS (Up to and including v.1902)

- All Vengeance DIMMs tested individually with memtest and all came up OK.

- The Maximus iV Extreme has a "MEM OK" feature which when enabled will attempt to set a working frequency and timings to get the memory to work. With four sticks this once got me booted (with a reported speed of 1333Mhz) to memtest but with all tests failing. Take one module out and all was OK again.

I'm really at a point now where the only thing to do would be to either:

A) Buy a new set of 16GB memory; or

B) Buy a new Maximum IV Extreme

.. and then try to swap each out in sequence to see what the problem component is. I'm still thinking it is the memory controller on the MB since all modules individually or in groups up to 12GB pass memtest OK.

Option C (which I'm doing at the moment) would be to just keep running on 12GB and leave one 4GB stick of RAM on the shelf. I have to admit I'm not happy about any of those options but sometimes life's like that huh.

Oh well.. please post a follow up if anyone ever experienced the same or similar problems.

Archived