Corsair Community

Force 3 240 GB BSOD's and Vanishings

gte206w

Sorry but we cannot recommend MOBOs. For the best performance using your SSD, you do need to get a board based on the Intel *67 or Z68 chipset.

anyway i heard of many people having issues, not only with this motherboard, so i think it's best to just wait an update of the sandforce controller and/or the firmware...

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We just published a firmware update on AUG 5th, version 1.3.

And i installed it but then got a new BSOD after 2-3 hours, so reading the PDF i i have reinstalled the OS and so far got no issues, let's hope for the best :sigh!:

Yellowbeard, could you please recommend a standalone Intel SATA III 6Gb/s controller that is definitely compatible with Corsair Force 3 240GB and also provide proper performance?? Much appreciated

Actually no, I can't. Just like with MOBOs, we are required to remain impartial with respect to manufacturers. You'll need to do some research in some storage/controller forums or online reviews or check with other end users.

After almost 2 days of no problems, this morning i woke up and found a BSOD, but it was not the "usual" F4 error...

I couldn't take all the infos on screen but i hope i saved the most useful:

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

code: 0x0000007A

file: rdyboost.sys

it also stated that dump failed due to this error 0xC0000010

Any help? is this still cause by the SSD?

I'm 100% sure my ram is ok, tested 9 hours with memtest when i bought it.

EDIT: can't find any dump file in the windows directory...

EDIT2: btw i don't know if this is useful but in these 2 days the computer was used to browse web, play games, watch films, listen music, download stuff... just every kind of use...

EDIT3: another BSOD, this time with the "usual" F4 error...

I'm still getting F4 BSODs after updating to the Aug 2011 firmware on my 240GT. I did not secure erase.

Before I waste hours to accomplish nothing, can anyone confirm that a secure erase fixed the issue AFTER experiencing BSODs with Aug 2011 firmware?

I'm getting BSODs on BOTH my Intel and Marvell controllers.

I'm still getting F4 BSODs after updating to the Aug 2011 firmware on my 240GT. I did not secure erase.

Before I waste hours to accomplish nothing, can anyone confirm that a secure erase fixed the issue AFTER experiencing BSODs with Aug 2011 firmware?

I'm getting BSODs on BOTH my Intel and Marvell controllers.

I personally CAN NOT confirm that, as i am using the disk even if sometimes i got a BSOD (actually got 2 in 5 days), im not gonna waste another 1-2 days to try *supposed* fixes, gonna wait a final solution, hoping the BSOD won't damange the hardware...

After almost 2 days of no problems, this morning i woke up and found a BSOD, but it was not the "usual" F4 error...

I couldn't take all the infos on screen but i hope i saved the most useful:

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

code: 0x0000007A

file: rdyboost.sys

it also stated that dump failed due to this error 0xC0000010

Any help? is this still cause by the SSD?

I'm 100% sure my ram is ok, tested 9 hours with memtest when i bought it.

EDIT: can't find any dump file in the windows directory...

EDIT2: btw i don't know if this is useful but in these 2 days the computer was used to browse web, play games, watch films, listen music, download stuff... just every kind of use...

EDIT3: another BSOD, this time with the "usual" F4 error...

7A error is basically the same failure, just in a different part of the kernel code. "The disk controller didn't respond".

Does anyone know if Corsair is refunding folk's money? I'm sick and tired of this computer bluescreening all the time from this drive.

I just upgraded from an ******** (since it asterisked it out, it was apparently a better drive), so I know it can handle an SSD. I've tried all the tips here, the firmware update, injected some extra factory smoke, and did a rain dance. I need a 240 GB drive that "just works". I'm not even on a SATA 6 Gbps connection (though I tried that too).

Agree silicon ghost. Tho i had better luck on SATA II 3gb/s with Force 3 240G (after giving up on Marvell SATA III 6gb), but we should NOT have to deal with this (esp i am using standard Asus mb)!!! Very unfortunate this is for everyone involved

hope someone that can recommend a third-party SATA III controller card, that is the only hope i have to achieve the speed i paid for.

When I looked, all of them had the problematic Marvell chips. No help there.

Well, you could drop $500 on a 3Ware/LSI Raid controller and run it in JBOD mode. :eek:

is there hardware QA done on these things going out the door? I mean... seriously. One would expect that this is considered a glaring defect in the controller. I shouldn't have to jump through hoops in the hopes of finding a solution that will work for my motherboard (Asus Maximus III Formula). Seems like this product fails on so many levels. First, the embedded controller code should have been tested by Sandforce. Second, integration tests should have been conducted by Corsair with the Sandforce controller in place. Making the end user the victim and using these forums as a means for end users to conduct what are effectively QA tests for something that should have been hardware-tested in the first place prior to bringing them to market is absolutely reprehensible. Others may not feel this way, but you can be sure that you have found a very vocal individual dedicated to informing potential customers that Corsair products are defect-ridden and completely unreliable.

is there hardware QA done on these things going out the door? I mean... seriously. One would expect that this is considered a glaring defect in the controller. I shouldn't have to jump through hoops in the hopes of finding a solution that will work for my motherboard (Asus Maximus III Formula). Seems like this product fails on so many levels. First, the embedded controller code should have been tested by Sandforce. Second, integration tests should have been conducted by Corsair with the Sandforce controller in place. Making the end user the victim and using these forums as a means for end users to conduct what are effectively QA tests for something that should have been hardware-tested in the first place prior to bringing them to market is absolutely reprehensible. Others may not feel this way, but you can be sure that you have found a very vocal individual dedicated to informing potential customers that Corsair products are defect-ridden and completely unreliable.
Why do you assume they DIDN'T do testing? Also, you're free to speak your mind on your own experiences, but saying unproven claims will get you nowhere.

Sidenote: Why a SATA III drive on a motherboard with only SATA II ports? http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1156/Maximus_III_Formula/#specifications

Why do you assume they DIDN'T do testing? Also, you're free to speak your mind on your own experiences, but saying unproven claims will get you nowhere.

Sidenote: Why a SATA III drive on a motherboard with only SATA II ports? http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1156/Maximus_III_Formula/#specifications

Really? I'm having BSODs with an enthusiast-standard motherboard made by a well-known manufacturer and I should assume otherwise? Do you really think these forums would be as popular as they are if consumers weren't experiencing the problems they were? All the Force 3 threads sure seem pretty popular, don't they? I'm usually one to give the benefit of the doubt almost always, but clearly there is an engineering problem with these drives somewhere in the hardware chain. I'm NOT the only one having these problems. I would feel much differently if I were, attributing this to a quirk within my own system. However, since there is one overarching thread common to all these problems that MULTIPLE individuals are having, i.e. BSODs and missing drives on sleep/reboot, if these drives really were tested prior to product release, then your QA team is completely inadequate at their jobs.

As a QA engineer for unmanned aircraft for over 7 years, I'm well aware of the pressures of product release. It's clear to me what transpired at Corsair behind the scenes.

In your response, you didn't address why Yellowbeard would, in multiple posts, have consumers try various 'fixes' in the attempt to not have their systems hang from sleep or BSOD. What's going to happen once one of your consumers reports a proper hack, I mean fix? See, what bothers me is that despite the massive amounts of people having the same problem, Corsair has not admitted that something is wrong with the engineering or the integration. Instead, the forums are littered with individuals trying various hacks involving cable switches and core voltage changes which are endorsed by the moderators. Seriously? I purchased Corsair products because you guys have a good reputation, but this is ridiculous.

I purchased a rated SATA III drive because of forward upgradeability in the very near future. Based on the advertising claims that this drive is supposed to be fully backwards-compatible with SATA II motherboards, I saw no reason to purchase a SATA II drive only to lose III functionality once I upgraded my system. You post my motherboard's product specs - what's the point in doing that? I freely admit to having SATA II ports which are supposed to be fully backwards compatible with the Force III's SATA III's.

Really? I'm having BSODs with an enthusiast-standard motherboard made by a well-known manufacturer and I should assume otherwise?
It was a question, not a statement.

Do you really think these forums would be as popular as they are if consumers weren't experiencing the problems they were?
Actually, yes. It's been much busier here at times without people having issues.

All the Force 3 threads sure seem pretty popular, don't they? I'm usually one to give the benefit of the doubt almost always, but clearly there is an engineering problem with these drives somewhere in the hardware chain. I'm NOT the only one having these problems.
Nowhere did I or any of the Corsair guys ever say that people aren't having issues.

BTW, I don't work for Corsair (read the sig :D:).

As a QA engineer for unmanned aircraft for over 7 years, I'm well aware of the pressures of product release. It's clear to me what transpired at Corsair behind the scenes.
You can theorize all you want, but neither you or I will in all likelihood ever know the whole story.

See, what bothers me is that despite the massive amounts of people having the same problem, Corsair has not admitted that something is wrong with the engineering or the integration.
When an issue has been able to be clearly identified, defined, analyzed, and a solution has been found, they do announce it: http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95688

I purchased a rated SATA III drive because of forward upgradeability in the very near future. Based on the advertising claims that this drive is supposed to be fully backwards-compatible with SATA II motherboards, I saw no reason to purchase a SATA II drive only to lose III functionality once I upgraded my system. You post my motherboard's product specs - what's the point in doing that? I freely admit to having SATA II ports which are supposed to be fully backwards compatible with the Force III's SATA III's.
Just a question. I posted the link in case you didn't know you didn't have SATA III ports. I try not to assume how much or little someone knows about any given topic.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just bought myself a Corsair Force 3 240GB SSD, and was very happy to find myself having a nice F4 BSOD after less than a day. The disk could then not be detected by the BIOS until I did a hard power reset...

My mobo is a Gigabyte ga-z68x-ud4-b3, z68 controller set as ahci.

Is there any progress on this issue?

Thanks !

Hi,

Just bought myself a Corsair Force 3 240GB SSD, and was very happy to find myself having a nice F4 BSOD after less than a day. The disk could then not be detected by the BIOS until I did a hard power reset...

My mobo is a Gigabyte ga-z68x-ud4-b3, z68 controller set as ahci.

Is there any progress on this issue?

Thanks !

Check your firmware version. If it is the 1.2 firmware, look in our SSD Firmware update section and update yours.

Well, after all the hub bub, I'm pleased to announce that I'd made several changes to my system such that I've now been running it non-stop for a week without a BSOD already. This is better than what I'd experienced thus far.

The combination of changes made seemed to do the trick.

1) My motherboard has two different SATA controllers. On six of the SATA ports, the J-Micron controller controls it and on the other two, a Marvell controller controls it. The Force 3 was previously plugged into one of the Marvell controller ports. These were supposed to be raided ports, so I moved the SATA hard drive to a non-raid port witht he J-Micron controller. I was then able to setup AHCI on the Force 3 (for some reason, even though I set AHCI on the Marvel controller in BIOS, and made the change in Windows 7 registry to take into account AHCI, I would get a BSOD whenever I restarted if I had installed the OS in IDE mode). I was however, able to set the J-Micron to AHCI and was able to still boot off of the Force 3 after the Windows registry AHCI tweak. I then downloaded and installed the Intel Storage Matrix console for SATA drivers as well as updated the firmware on the Force 3 to version 1.3. The combination of all those things have made me a happy camper. Reporting on progress since I whined about it so much before.

Archived