Corsair Community

Force 3 240 GB BSOD's and Vanishings

gte206w

I did not misread. Let's try some simple math here.

1.05 + 0.05 = 1.10

1.10 + 0.05 = 1.15

See how that works? Only one step between the voltages if going by 0.05 as I stated. My motherboard is a p8z68-V PRO. Simply googling it will take you to the right page. It also does not have a standard BIOS, but uses UEFI. I can type in whatever voltage I choose for it.

Anyway, I've been stable in 6gb/s so far, and have run HDTune full disk read tests at least 20 times now. I have not had a disk drop yet, but that doesn't mean anything. I will continue to monitor.

The intervals such have been a example. but i finally found your manual in English its 0.01v. try 1.10v.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I tried the LPM fix, and still have it enabled, however it did not help.

The only thing so far that helped, was finding good cables and upping PCH voltage to 1.15.

I'm still running stable now. Cables are key it seems. Knock on wood. Hopefully this stays stable. I'll continue to update.

And a drive dropped out overnight. It seems to happen after a certain amount of time. I've switched cables and ports, and will see if it follows the drive, or if it follows the cable/port. It seems one drive drops out more than the other. I've also disabled the SMART checks from the bios.

I disabled smart checks in bios, and swapped the cables to the drives. The last drop out may have been from a cable coming loose, not sure.

Anyway, It's been two and a half days now with no dropout.

If I get another dropout from the same drive, it will get RMAd.

I disabled smart checks in bios, and swapped the cables to the drives. The last drop out may have been from a cable coming loose, not sure.

Still hasn't dropped. I'm going to let it run for a while and see how it does. I have some monoprice cables to test out now as well. I think the last dropout was from a cable coming loose.

No dropouts yet. I think last time a cable worked itself loose, but I wonder if disabling S.M.A.R.T. in the bios helped at all.

OK, I just had a drive drop out, but it was a different one this time. Apparently it followed the port/cable. I'm going to install some monoprice cables now.

It seems the Akasa cables aren't so good. The only one without a problem so far was one of the flat sata 3 cables with clips that came with a motherboard. Trying the monoprice cables and will report back. I have some 10" and 18", the 10" don't fit to my drives, but if the 18" don't cut it, they're up next with some creative engineering.

UPDATE: one of the drives already dropped to 3gb/s during rebuild with the 18" monoprice cables. Time to try the 10" :(

UPADTE2: stock pch voltage, the 10" cables are running at 6gb/s for now.

UPDATE3: drive dropped to 3gb/s. Going to up PCH voltage again and see if it holds steady with the new cables. Still awaiting a proper solution here.

Rebooted the computer for first time in ~1 week and got an F4 BSOD within 10 minutes :(

Was prefaced by the spinning circle of softlock doom, followed by briefest of usability, followed by the screen tearing of blackness. The typical M.O.

After updating to 10.6.0.1091 and doing a HARD bios reset (pulling battery, shorting terminals, no power from PS at all, etc) I have not had a drive disappear yet. It has been about 2-3 days. It's gone this long in the past, but normally they drop out by now. I'll report back later.

After updating to 10.6.0.1091 and doing a HARD bios reset (pulling battery, shorting terminals, no power from PS at all, etc) I have not had a drive disappear yet. It has been about 2-3 days. It's gone this long in the past, but normally they drop out by now. I'll report back later.

drive dropped :(

I'd posted on possibly another thread in the forums. Excuse mistakes as this is from iPhone. A sata power cable with multiple power ports is pretty typical. If you do have multiple drives attached, any time a new drive is placed on the same power line, there's additional draw on that line. If you leave your computer, and you have mechanical hard disks "go to sleep", the power on the line spikes up - my theory was that the Corsair 240 Force 3 in combo with Windows detects that there's a power spike and BSODs. Symptoms I saw before putting the 240 force 3 on its own, dedicated power cable:

Bsod almost every night when i went to bed.

With windows performance auto restart box checked, i'd wake up to bios indicating it could not detect the boot disk. I would have to turn off and start the computer from a cold boot.

It's been one night now without a bsod... Will continue to monitor progress.

Firmware 1.3 doing good since I've been running it.

Likewise. As seems to be my style, though, I made a bunch of changes at once so I can't necessarily point to one thing as being effective. Ended up updating my UEFI to the latest beta, updating the SDD to 1.3, secure-erasing with Parted Magic, and reinstalling Win7. I've made no registry or Windows tweaks this time. Been 2 days with no incidents of either the BSOD or soft-lock type.

An ATTO before and after the update showed no speed drops, still operating just fine.

Hello all, i just bought a new Corsair Force 3 240 GB a couple of days ago, and my motherboard is an ASUS p8p67 deluxe.

I had both the main issues stated in this thread: the soft freeze and the F4 BSOD, both of them while i was already using the latest bios available, the 1850 beta. So far i have had 3 or 4 (can't remember) BSOD.

The disk is plugged on the SATA3 intel connector, with another normal HD plugged into the other port.

This morning i found this thread so I installed the 1.3 firmware for the disk. So far (2 hours) no problems.

Note that i did NOT enable the hot plug yet (will try that if more freeze occurs).

This post is just to let people know that i had the same issues and that i will update if new firmware fixes the problem.

Regards.

Yellowbeard, can you help urgently please? Otherwise I might be forced to return the product otherwise would have been a great performer.

I have just bought Corsair Force 3 240GB and Asus motherboard (P6X58D-E, updated to the latest BIOS 0701) with Marvell Controller, configured SATA with AHCI as suggested in various forums.

And I ran into serious issues.

1. Windows 7 Enterprise installation cannot format the SSD (error: 0x80070057)

(http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/250282-14-major-problems-formatting-partitioning-intel-windows-install)

But following helped (credit to “killbucket”) with this issue: “after the format its complete it say diskpart has encountered an error”

LIST DISK

SELECT DISK # (where # is the corresponding disk number that you want to install Windows onto from the list you just pulled up)

CLEAN

CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY

SELECT PARTITION 1

ACTIVE

FORMAT FS=NTFS

ASSIGN

EXIT

CD\

SETUP

2. Then the installation hang before completion when using SSD

3. Installed Win 7 on SATA HD with ease (also connected to SATA III 6Gb/s port, Marvell) and tested SSD speed with ATTO. However, the write speed of SSD is disappointing: the read was 400+mb/s which is not bad, but write only around 200 much less than 500 as specified. I will post screenshot later.

4. Then changed a SATA cable for SSD and tried install Win 7 again. This time it worked (had to force reset once cos it got stuck after an automatic reboot)

5. After installing various drivers the Win7 on SSD becomes unstable and BSOD.

I was considering upgrading to firmware v1.3 (http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97417) but it says “Our latest testing shows that this update will not work using a Marvell controller.” Any recommendation on buying Intel SATA III 6Gb/s controller that will Actually be stable for Corsair Force 3 240g? This is for real work so I cannot afford instability once the OS and applications are installed.

got another soft freeze followed by a BSOD with new firmware... gonna try to reinstall windows i guess...

if that doesn't work... well im just gonna buy a new motherboard... im sick of all this damn problems

in case i chose to get a new motherboard, could u suggest me a model that is 100% safe to use with this force 3 ssd?

Yellowbeard, can you help urgently please? Otherwise I might be forced to return the product otherwise would have been a great performer..

This is a bug in the Marvell controller. I am not aware of any fix for it although some users have good luck with the most recent drivers.

As for the update, you can do it using one of the ICH10-R ports for the update. Just make sure you have AHCI enabled.

And I'm sorry but we cannot recommend RAID controllers. You'll need to do your own research there.

in case i chose to get a new motherboard, could u suggest me a model that is 100% safe to use with this force 3 ssd?

Sorry but we cannot recommend MOBOs. For the best performance using your SSD, you do need to get a board based on the Intel *67 or Z68 chipset.

Archived