Corsair Community

Force 3 240 GB BSOD's and Vanishings

gte206w

I'm currently running PCH voltage at 1.15 and the Akasa cables. Since my last post, the drives are still at 6gb/s. I'll update again tomorrow or earlier if anything changes.

PCH voltage @ 1.15v?????? :eek::nono: Are you kidding me???? default PCH voltage is 1.05v. i would suggest you put it on 1.1v not 1.15v. Are you on a overclocked processor???. or am i missing something?:confused:

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Corsair was recommending 1.15 as a workaround. It doesn't seem to work any better as I still get dropouts. I'm back on 1.05.

I've re-routed the cables away from any power cables, I'll see if it helps. I have also shaved off a little bit of the side of the power cables that were slightly pushing on the sata cables in the drive. I don't think it will do anything though, as this seems to be a problem with these sf-2281 controllers.

Corsair was recommending 1.15 as a workaround. It doesn't seem to work any better as I still get dropouts. I'm back on 1.05.

I've re-routed the cables away from any power cables, I'll see if it helps. I have also shaved off a little bit of the side of the power cables that were slightly pushing on the sata cables in the drive. I don't think it will do anything though, as this seems to be a problem with these sf-2281 controllers.

let me put it this way the more voltage you put on the chipset the chip will be unhappy because you are giving way too much voltage and it is generating to much heat so setting it on a high voltage with an non overclocked processor causes more BSODS than expected. Don't think its the controllers im still thinking its the SATA flaw.

That's why other MFRS using sf-2281 controllers are having the same issue?

1.15 is a minor over voltage to the south bridge and shouldn't hurt anything. The one on my motherboard (p8z68-v pro) is also heatsinked. Changing the voltage on that has absolutely nothing to do with stability in relation to having an overclocked processor or not. I'm running four drives off of that controller, only the SF-2281 ssds drop out.

I've since secure erased both of them, and done the workarounds that I listed above. I'm waiting for another dropout.

And one of my drives dropped out again. I swapped the cables to see if the other drive will be affected. If not, I will swap ports on the motherboard to rule that out. If the same drive keeps dropping, it will get RMAd.

I wish I had a way to reproduce this faster. My RMA date is quickly approaching with NewEgg. Sometimes it takes a couple of days for a drive to drop.

Surprisingly, my drive lasted 10 days before dropping out.

I would have to equate this longevity to the PCH voltage being raised to 1.15V. As it was the only tip that seem to lengthen the time between each dropout. (@Toasted: Please do not sway people away from a useful and helpful tip.)

And one of my drives dropped out again. I swapped the cables to see if the other drive will be affected. If not, I will swap ports on the motherboard to rule that out. If the same drive keeps dropping, it will get RMAd.

I wish I had a way to reproduce this faster. My RMA date is quickly approaching with NewEgg. Sometimes it takes a couple of days for a drive to drop.

This may come off as condescending, and I apologize for that. But why on earth did you think your cables had something to do with this problem? You even bought new ones! Just the fact that other people are having the same issues should raise the question: hmm, maybe it's not my cables..

It just defies all logic IMO..

This may come off as condescending, and I apologize for that. But why on earth did you think your cables had something to do with this problem? You even bought new ones! Just the fact that other people are having the same issues should raise the question: hmm, maybe it's not my cables..

I'm not notnyt (my double negative alarm was going off while typing that...) but rather than wait for them to respond, I'm sure the reason is that it was one of the troubleshooting recommendations from this forum's staff that they continue to suggest again and again. I suppose in a way, it's good that notnyt bothered with his/her time and money to oblige with testing their hypothesis since replacing the cable did nothing to alleviate the problems - good for us, I mean, since now we can safely ignore that request.

I'm not gonna complain about a $5 cable for a $450 SSD drive. Also, the ASUS cables I was using sucked, and made things far worse.

The SF-2281 may just be very sensitive, and if there are a number of ways to improve stability, it may require multiple fixes until a proper firmware is released or the drives are recalled. Hell, maybe I have a bum drive too, as I see one drop a lot more than the other. This is why I'm ruling out the other possibilities.

I'm not notnyt (my double negative alarm was going off while typing that...) but rather than wait for them to respond, I'm sure the reason is that it was one of the troubleshooting recommendations from this forum's staff that they continue to suggest again and again. I suppose in a way, it's good that notnyt bothered with his/her time and money to oblige with testing their hypothesis since replacing the cable did nothing to alleviate the problems - good for us, I mean, since now we can safely ignore that request.

Yes, WE can safely ignore it. I'm worried about a percentage of the admins/Corsair techs equating his cable issue with a certain percentage of us that have a "real" issue.

I'm not gonna complain about a $5 cable for a $450 SSD drive. Also, the ASUS cables I was using sucked, and made things far worse.

I wasn't really questioning your motives for buying the cables, as much as I was questioning the reason for posting about it. Problem is, I get agitated when tech support people (Technicians) ask me to check stupid things like, "the cables." When that would be the first thing I checked way before I contacted them.

I have a lot of animosity towards Technicians. It might have a little to do with the fact that I'm an Engineer.

I just don't want Corsair treating this like Project Blue Book treated UFO's. I'm not hallucination (My drive just vanishes), It's not Venus (it's a BSOD), It's not swamp gas (My SSD was actually smoking and on fire.) Ok, the last one I made up ;) , but my point is... We need an actual fix, not just polite suggestions that insinuate WE did something wrong.

I'm just afraid of your cable issue clouding the real problem. Or at the very least, interfering with a percentage of the admins/Corsair techs opinion around the severity of this issue.

Maybe i'm just over thinking it, or going crazy, but that's how I've been conditioned to feel. :)

Yes, WE can safely ignore it. I'm worried about a percentage of the admins/Corsair techs equating his cable issue with a certain percentage of us that have a "real" issue.

Checking the cables is not a stupid suggestion. Quite a few users have resolved issues, some of them very strange issues, by changing cables. It does not help everyone but it is a logical starting point.

You've just proved my point.

The other "users" have caused your opinion to shift through the cable problems they've expressed to you. Now don't get me wrong, your 100% correct, changing cables helps some "users." (love that term) I was just merely pointing out my own internal thoughts and opinions based on the way I've been treated in the past by other techs.

I didn't want his issues to poison the pool, so to speak. :)

I'm not really clear on what point you are trying to make. As far as a "real" issue goes, for those users I noted, cables were the real issue. And, it's not an opinion, it's verified in the lab by our engineers as being one issue that causes "some users" to have problems.

I'm not really clear on what point you are trying to make. As far as a "real" issue goes, for those users I noted, cables were the real issue. And, it's not an opinion, it's verified in the lab by our engineers as being one issue that causes "some users" to have problems.

The point I'm trying to make is, we keep trolling the forum with issues that DO NOT pertain to the Force 3 240 GB BSOD's and Vanishings

I also never said it was an opinion that cable issues you pointed out are real or not in the general sense. The "real" issue HERE (in this thread) is not cables, can we both agree on that? (The "real" issue being: Force 3 240 GB BSOD's and Vanishings)

Anyone can understand people/users have cable issues, it just doesn't have any relevance with the issue I and many other are experiencing here. So generally, I'm opposed to that topic.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. But please, If your going to respond, at least give us some hope that Corsair (or Sandforce) is working on a fix (for the "real" issue here)

Pretty please.......

The point I'm trying to make is, we keep trolling the forum with issues that DO NOT pertain to the Force 3 240 GB BSOD's and Vanishings

I also never said it was an opinion that cable issues you pointed out are real or not in the general sense. The "real" issue HERE (in this thread) is not cables, can we both agree on that? (The "real" issue being: Force 3 240 GB BSOD's and Vanishings)

Anyone can understand people/users have cable issues, it just doesn't have any relevance with the issue I and many other are experiencing here. So generally, I'm opposed to that topic.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. But please, If your going to respond, at least give us some hope that Corsair (or Sandforce) is working on a fix (for the "real" issue here)

Pretty please.......

It has already been stated many times that Corsair and SandForce are working on a solution to the problems currently plaguing the SF-2200 drives, the Forum Techs are just trying to provide help while SandForce works it out. Yellowbeard will probably post an update the moment he has one.

Surprisingly, my drive lasted 10 days before dropping out.

I would have to equate this longevity to the PCH voltage being raised to 1.15V. As it was the only tip that seem to lengthen the time between each dropout. (@Toasted: Please do not sway people away from a useful and helpful tip.)

Even if it is a useful tip i would start from 1.05 all the way up to 1.15 by taking intervals of like 0.05v. not instantly raise it to 1.15v. by doing this you will find where the drive does not drop out. its all on patience. if you want your things to work you need to test them each time. not skip it to the next level.

You realize there is only one step between 1.05 and 1.15 by .05 volts, yes?

Anyway, the Akasa cables I have aren't so great. I'm now using one of the motherboard cables (without 90 degree bends, and clips on both sides) and one of the Akasa cables. PCH @ 1.15V. Previously, verifying the raid or running HDTune would drop one of the drives to 3.0gbps. With the proper cables, I've run HDTune read tests a good 20 times and it is still at 6.0gbps. This indicates there is some kind of signalling/cable issue to me. Now that they seem stable, I'll see if either of the drives drops. If they do, not much else to do but wait for SandForce to come p with something.

Anyway, I figured I'd throw another $20 at this and bought 4 10" cables and 4 18" cables from monoprice to test as well.

Whoever is bitching about being an engineer and ignoring the cabling issue is being a bit ignorant. I am an engineer as well, and as such, will rule out everything as long as there is a possibility.

Cheers.

You realize there is only one step between 1.05 and 1.15 by .05 volts, yes?

Anyway, the Akasa cables I have aren't so great. I'm now using one of the motherboard cables (without 90 degree bends, and clips on both sides) and one of the Akasa cables. PCH @ 1.15V. Previously, verifying the raid or running HDTune would drop one of the drives to 3.0gbps. With the proper cables, I've run HDTune read tests a good 20 times and it is still at 6.0gbps. This indicates there is some kind of signalling/cable issue to me. Now that they seem stable, I'll see if either of the drives drops. If they do, not much else to do but wait for SandForce to come p with something.

Anyway, I figured I'd throw another $20 at this and bought 4 10" cables and 4 18" cables from monoprice to test as well.

Whoever is bitching about being an engineer and ignoring the cabling issue is being a bit ignorant. I am an engineer as well, and as such, will rule out everything as long as there is a possibility.

Cheers.

You must have mis-read i put 0.05 not .5 but that doesn't matter. just go back to 1.05 and select the next one on and on if you know what i mean. anyways i couldn't find your motherboard manual (all in chinese) so i don't know your mother boards interval. but the Asus maximus Extreme has a interval of 0.01325v. so you would need to test it 8 times before it reaches 1.15v. its the best way to test for stability.

i agree on that engineer thing.

You must have mis-read i put 0.05 not .5 but that doesn't matter. just go back to 1.05 and select the next one on and on if you know what i mean. anyways i couldn't find your motherboard manual (all in chinese) so i don't know your mother boards interval. but the Asus maximus Extreme has a interval of 0.01325v. so you would need to test it 8 times before it reaches 1.15v. its the best way to test for stability.

i agree on that engineer thing.

I did not misread. Let's try some simple math here.

1.05 + 0.05 = 1.10

1.10 + 0.05 = 1.15

See how that works? Only one step between the voltages if going by 0.05 as I stated. My motherboard is a p8z68-V PRO. Simply googling it will take you to the right page. It also does not have a standard BIOS, but uses UEFI. I can type in whatever voltage I choose for it.

Anyway, I've been stable in 6gb/s so far, and have run HDTune full disk read tests at least 20 times now. I have not had a disk drop yet, but that doesn't mean anything. I will continue to monitor.

I did not misread. Let's try some simple math here.

1.05 + 0.05 = 1.10

1.10 + 0.05 = 1.15

See how that works? Only one step between the voltages if going by 0.05 as I stated. My motherboard is a p8z68-V PRO. Simply googling it will take you to the right page. It also does not have a standard BIOS, but uses UEFI. I can type in whatever voltage I choose for it.

Anyway, I've been stable in 6gb/s so far, and have run HDTune full disk read tests at least 20 times now. I have not had a disk drop yet, but that doesn't mean anything. I will continue to monitor.

FWIW, the 1.15v figure came from one of our guys in engineering. It's not a random number or selection.

Cheers.

Just to update, no dropouts yet. Fingers crossed here. If things continue to remain stable, I will test the monoprice cables anyway, just so others may be able to find a reliable solution.

notnyt, I cannot recall after reading so many posts over the past few weeks. Have you tried the LPM fix?

I tried the LPM fix, and still have it enabled, however it did not help.

The only thing so far that helped, was finding good cables and upping PCH voltage to 1.15.

I'm still running stable now. Cables are key it seems. Knock on wood. Hopefully this stays stable. I'll continue to update.

Archived