Corsair Community

Force 3 240 GB BSOD's and Vanishings

gte206w

I have two of the 240gbs running in raid1, they randomly drop out. New sata3 cables (confirmed running at 6gb/s) and pch voltage upped to 1.15. There's definitely some kind of problem here.

For the record, what type of sata3 cable does corsair recommend to use?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have two of the 240gbs running in raid1, they randomly drop out. New sata3 cables (confirmed running at 6gb/s) and pch voltage upped to 1.15. There's definitely some kind of problem here.

For the record, what type of sata3 cable does corsair recommend to use?

I'm using certified ROG SATA III connectors, and the problem is still there. I would place a bet that your cables are not the issue.

Mr Wired was quick to answer my question regarding the Firmware. Does he not have a comment on this issue?

Maybe there working on a fix, who knows. Just a bummer most people spent ~$500 on these things and they randomly drop out. Where is the accountability corsair?

Cowtipper, what Firmware version are you running?

I'm currently running Firmware version 1.2 according to CrystalDisk. I read somewhere in these forums that some people with the Corsair Force 3 240GB have Firmware version 2.0.

Does anyone know where to find the Firmware version 2.0 update? I looked, and I can't find it.

Please help....

Mine has Firmware 1.2 and s/n 1121xxxxx, using BIOS 1850 on my P8P67 Deluxe. While I am no longer having any problems, I can also inform that I never had any BSOD. Only these freezing issues.

And since ppl seem to get the SSD's more stable from upping the PCH voltage, and me getting it stable by Enable HOT PLUG I think there might be some kind of voltage problem, making the disk time out, and for RAIDS drop out. And correct me if I am wrong, but maybe by using HOT PLUG(HOT SWAP?) you get more voltage added to the disk?

Other information if that helps: Latest Intel drivers for Chipset and SATA from Intel, not ASUS homepage. NOT using ASUS Suite II(all set in EFI BIOS instead), using Intel RST, the SSD is running single as OS Drive on the Intel SATAIII 6GB controller. 4 slots of 4GB 12800-1600Mhz memory set as X.M.P. in BIOS. Using EPU and Offset + on CPU voltage so it can clock down to 1600MHz in idle(4500Mhz on load).

I also have problems with 2x corsair force 3 240GB in raid 0.

Problems noticed so far:

- BSOD's in Windows 7 and linux (but then notblue screen of course)

- Programs/Windows freezing (Appear to be waiting on i/o for long time)

- Sometimes when system has been idle (for example during the night) it's looks like the system has rebooted (not sure) and complains that is hasn't disks in a black screen. Have to power down the system then wait for about 10 seconds (shorter doesn't work) before i start it up again to get the disks recognized again.

- Benchmarking (ATTO) only sometimes get 1.1GB read but most of the times have only the speed of one drive 520MB. Also completion times of benchmarks differ a lot. Sometimes it takes minutes longer and have no results (or to small for graph) for some of the blocksizes.

Have these problems with windows 7 and linux os.

My laptop is clevo P170HM with latest bios (1.0.7) and intel raid firmware.

Used all the tuning tips for Windows 7 that i could find but nothing helps.

I didn't have these problems when I only had one hard disk (seagate momentus) in my laptop.

I'm still seeing random dropouts even with new cables and pch voltage at 1.15. I've been logging which drive drops, and it seems to be completely random and affecting both drives. You would think for such an expensive piece of hardware, that Corsair would do more for its customers.

I understand this is probably an issue with the SF controller, but is there a fix in sight anytime soon?

Minor update here: I purchased two Corsair Performance 3 128GB drives to use in my new laptop and haven't had any problems. I'm presently running a Force 120GB in my desktop so I plan to try the Force 3 240GB drive in there when I have a chance to swap it out.

I was never able to get the Force 3 240GB running stable. The Performance 3s and the older Force 120gb work great though.

No problems with sleep here, the drives just randomly disappear.

Same, these problems I've had occur during use. Strangely, their frequency has tapered over time. Right after installing the drive and OS, I was getting the soft lock + BSOD 2+ times per day for the first few days (when I made this thread). Now, I can go 5+ days without witnessing either, though they still do happen occasionally. The dumb part is that I've made no UEFI/driver/cable/port changes to warrant the shift, but will take it all the same.

After disabling LPM and running my PCH voltage at 1.15, it seems to be more stable. Generally I could go a couple of days without a drop, so I'm still waiting. I also have some akasa cables coming in the mail.

I have been running another vendors ssd and have had no problems whatsoever, I drop my 120 GT in the system and get lock-ups during use. It seems that other vendors, is also having this issue (disapearing disks) which would lead me to speculate that it is a sandforce issue.

After disabling LPM and running my PCH voltage at 1.15, it seems to be more stable. Generally I could go a couple of days without a drop, so I'm still waiting. I also have some akasa cables coming in the mail.

Still up and running stable with this combination. I'm guessing its a combination of the sandforce controller being very sensitive, crappy sata iii cables, and possibly a problem with power management and the sandforce chipset. Who knows, maybe tomorrow a drive will disappear again. I'll keep updating with my findings.

UPDATE: Still running stable here after my HOT PLUG enable setting. I kinda feel it's strange that it did really help, but at the same time I am happy that it works ;)

Now when the SSD is working as intended, it is blasting fast! Love it :)

Hope you all get yours working aswell, I still believe in some kind of power problem with this disks :O

Still up and running stable with this combination. I'm guessing its a combination of the sandforce controller being very sensitive, crappy sata iii cables, and possibly a problem with power management and the sandforce chipset. Who knows, maybe tomorrow a drive will disappear again. I'll keep updating with my findings.

crashed out again, but thanks to hotplug, i just unplug the drive (power) and plug it back in and the raid rebuilds

I've received my Akasa cables in the mail. I'll be running with these cables and PCH voltage set to auto to see if this remedies the issue. I did notice one drive was dropping out MUCH more than the other previous to this, and it had one of those crappy 90degree head sata3 cables that were bundled with an asus mobo.

I've received my Akasa cables in the mail. I'll be running with these cables and PCH voltage set to auto to see if this remedies the issue. I did notice one drive was dropping out MUCH more than the other previous to this, and it had one of those crappy 90degree head sata3 cables that were bundled with an asus mobo.

Please post here again and let us know how this works for you. ::pirate::

So far, I'm running with the Akasa cables with stock PCH voltage. Everything is detected at 6gb/s. I had one of the cables that might have had an issue (drive detected at 3gb/s) so I replaced it with another. I bought 4 cables for 2 drives.

There was a slight issue with these cables though. The ends are too large to fit properly into the motherboard when they're next to each other. I used a razor and carefully removed some of the rubber. I wasn't so careful with the first one and knicked a wire, oh well.

So far I've only had to reboot once, and haven't had a drive drop out yet. The cables have been in use for about 12 hours. The reboot was unrelated to the SSDs. I've gone days before with PCH voltage at 1.15 without a dropout, though. However, I'd normally see issues with the drives coming up at 3gb/s sometimes at stock voltage.

Anyway, here's hoping the cables do good. If so, it looks like the solution is to buy a few cables and keep trying until you get one that works. I'll update again on the status of this, it may still break after all. I haven't had much testing time yet.

These are the cables. I ordered mine from FrozenCPU and they shipped USPS and were received in 2 days in NY.

Cowtripper: I'm glad you found some improvement.

But I can mention that I have always run the SSD with hot-plug activated and no adjustments to the PCH voltage, so maybe the performance you see now, is more or less the same as I've had from the beginning.

Still, I am not satisfied, paying over 500€ for the product.

I have about 1 crash/restart/BSOD a week, and I just experienced my first "soft-lock" ever.

The worst thing is, that you never know when it will happen next time. But, you do know for a fact that it WILL happen in near future, whether it will be during the night, or in the most inconvenient moment possible.

I give a huge thanks to the administrators and other people who try to help me/us as best they can!

With that said, no offense, personally, I begin to get alittle tired of all the repeating talk about changing the freakin' cables, boot-orders, controllers, drivers, voltages and so on! This is just symptomatic treatment; the disease is still there... :sigh!:

Just as Corsair aknowledged that there was in fact a problem with the 120gb, they should do the same with the 240gb... :[pouts:

Because I'm just curious, if the problems are more or less similar with the 120 and 240gb, why was the 120gb needed to be returned, but the 240gb not? :P

Just as Corsair aknowledged that there was in fact a problem with the 120gb, they should do the same with the 240gb... :[pouts:

Because I'm just curious, if the problems are more or less similar with the 120 and 240gb, why was the 120gb needed to be returned, but the 240gb not? :P

The F120GB3 recall was issued because the first batch of drives had faulty hardware, and something wrong with the firmware, I'm guessing the wrong version as someone claimed their 1122 or below drive had firmware 1.0, and the current drives have 1.2.

The current issues that plague the SATAIII Force Series drives are supposedly a result of the drives having issue with some system, and may be caused by the SF controller.

My F120GB3, that is a replacement from the recall, likes to drop out at random idle periods and once while I was surfing the web, and I must say at this point I really wish I would have just sent the drive back to Newegg for a full refund. I sent a message to Customer Service about a refund or some other compromise, but not surprisingly they never responded, I've found that it is easier to just call them to get a response most of the time, which I may do next week.

So far, I'm running with the Akasa cables with stock PCH voltage. Everything is detected at 6gb/s. I had one of the cables that might have had an issue (drive detected at 3gb/s) so I replaced it with another. I bought 4 cables for 2 drives.

There was a slight issue with these cables though. The ends are too large to fit properly into the motherboard when they're next to each other. I used a razor and carefully removed some of the rubber. I wasn't so careful with the first one and knicked a wire, oh well.

So far I've only had to reboot once, and haven't had a drive drop out yet. The cables have been in use for about 12 hours. The reboot was unrelated to the SSDs. I've gone days before with PCH voltage at 1.15 without a dropout, though. However, I'd normally see issues with the drives coming up at 3gb/s sometimes at stock voltage.

Anyway, here's hoping the cables do good. If so, it looks like the solution is to buy a few cables and keep trying until you get one that works. I'll update again on the status of this, it may still break after all. I haven't had much testing time yet.

These are the cables. I ordered mine from FrozenCPU and they shipped USPS and were received in 2 days in NY.

So this morning I look at my computer and one of the drives are at 3gb/s. I'll be upping the PCH voltage to see if it helps.

Had a BSOD shutdown over the weekend while I was gone (7/16 at 2 am), was telling me the usual no boot disk bla bla bla. Cold booted, was greeted to a soft lock within 30 seconds of bootup that lasted over a minute. This SSD is certainly never a dull moment, eh?

Disk on port 1: Removed.

Volume ssd: Degraded.

:(

Any news on a fix for these things actually coming down the pipe? For a support forum, there isn't a whole lot of support going on besides "this might work, try this, well we don't know".

What is being done to fix this issue?

Archived