Corsair Community

CMT12GX3M3A2000C9 on EVGA X58 SLI (132-BL-E758) won't boot

Eelyen

I just upgraded my desktop from 6gb's 1600mhz RAM (3x2gb, 8-8-8-8 24 timings) from another vendor to Corsair's CMT12GX3M3A2000C9 (3x4gb, 9-10-9-27) and I cannot get my machine to boot.

Initial install caused a CMOS checksum error which reset everything to the defaults and allowed me to get into the bios. I first tried out the XMP profile 1 for memory configuration.

Which then the system won't even POST. So I reset the CMOS again and tried to set it manually to the proper timings, voltage, and at a lower speed (9-10-9-27, 1.65v, 1600mhz instead of 2000ish) to see if I could boot. And after a reset it wouldn't post again.

So, I reset the CMOS and decided to give the defaults a try (which was at 1067mhz for the ram). But I set the voltage to auto.

At this point, Windows 7 started (ultimate 64bit), but after the initial loading screen it went to bluescreen and memory dump.

Went back into the BIOS and set the voltage to 1.65, and rebooted same issue.

Set the timings to 9-10-9-27 (the timings that are for 2000mhz on 1067mhz :P) and still no go.

Any help would be appreciated.

Motherboard is EVGA X58 SLI (132-BL-E758) with a Core i7 920 processor.

• Corsair Employees
More then likely your CPU will just not over clock that high, but we need some more details. What CPU and what is the CORE of your CPU and have you checked the Voltages with XMP enabled what are they being set to especially the CPU/QPI Voltage?

It's a Core i7 920.

I can't get the system to even post when I have XMP profile enabled, the only way to get back into the bios after enabling it is to reset the CMOS. Which returns it to default configuration at 1067MHZ. So I'm unable to see the settings that the MB picks up on the XMP profile.

I've even attempted to bring the clock on the CPU down to 2.6 ghz while the XMP is enabled with no luck at all.

With the memory at 1067mhz I can get it to go to windows loading screen, but after that it blue screens.

This worked fine when it was setup on the previous ram at 1600mhz.

So, I attempted boot the XMP with the new modules one at a time to see if maybe 1 module was causing the issue, but no luck there.

At the reset defaults (with memory at 1067 in bios) the CPU Vcore is at 1.28V (via auto setting). I've tried playing with it a couple times so far, but with no luck. QPI PLL says its at 1.1 V

• Corsair Employees
You need to go to BIOS setup and load setup defaults and then check the Memory Voltage and the CPU/QPI Voltage and see what they are getting set to and find out if you have a (D0) or (C0) stepping CPU if its D0 try setting the CPU/QPI to 1.45 Volts and I would set the memory frequency at DDr1600 and see if it will post.

After some extensive troubleshooting and tests, the current signs are pointing towards my processor being the problem. Which would be the first time in my 15+ years of building computers :P

Archived