Corsair Community

Interesting Find on Corsair RAM

XeroemoXmageX

Hey Guys

I've stumbled upon an interesting dilemma regarding RAM

I'll try be as thorough as i can. Any ideas/responses/solutions would be appreciated.

I've built myself a new machine a few months back. The details are listed in my profile specs

I started off with Corsair DDR3-1333 XMS3 with XMP ram. I'm not sure what the part # is right now, but its got 3 thin strips of silver as a heatsink on a black cover. I'ts served me really well and I've never had any issues with it what so ever. I'ts worked perfectly since day one and performs lag free on every game title I've tried.

But, my brother recently built himself a PC just for general use.

As a matter of interest, i was curious to see how it compares to my Corsair ram i had at the time. So i took his ram (no brand names mentioned), and my games i normally play at the same settings as before, lag. What makes my Corsair ram so potent? The performance difference was noticeably big

Anyway, that sealed the deal for me. today i purchased 6 more GB of Corsair ram (CMX6GX3M3A1333C8) and adding that to my other 2GB tonight.

Please give some ideas to my question regarding the Corsair ram and let me know

Thanks in advance

Anyway, that sealed the deal for me. today i purchased 6 more GB of Corsair ram (CMX6GX3M3A1333C8) and adding that to my other 2GB tonight.

This is what Wired was referring to. Adding another kit of a different part number or even the SAME part number for that fact is more than likely going to cause you problems. I would personally run with just the new 6 gig you purchased. In most cases they wont work together at all and best case is that you would have to lower the frequency to get the two different kits to run together.

I have feedback regarding the RAM i installed last night. I moved the current 2GB module to the "last" dimm on my motherboard, allowing the kit to be used first. With all 4 modules installed at the moment, i did a memtest and it was entirely successful. As well as using a memory killing application to consume 6 gigs of ram, then launched a game thats very demanding. I minimized my game about an hour in and 7.8GB was in use out of my installed 8. No errors and no lag. So it seems to be compatible and stable

Archived