Corsair Community

SSD set up as boot drive on a Mac Pro

nostatic

I've read a lot of different articles about how to use an SSD exclusively as a boot drive with the OS, users and applications folders loaded on it only. Everything else (documents, downloads, photos, music, etc.) is loaded on a separate HD to reduce space on the SSD boot drive.

Many of these articles seem to recommend different approaches--some more difficult than others. I was wondering if anyone here can provide the EASIEST and most foolproof procedure for setting up an SSD boot drive on a Mac Pro.

Thanks.

• Corsair Employees
I've read a lot of different articles about how to use an SSD exclusively as a boot drive with the OS, users and applications folders loaded on it only. Everything else (documents, downloads, photos, music, etc.) is loaded on a separate HD to reduce space on the SSD boot drive.

I would recommend what you have stated above.

The question is what's the best way to do this? There are several methods, some more complicated than others. Like using symlinks and moving the Home folder to another drive--which I've read is a big no-no in OS 10.6x.

Can anyone recommend a procedure they've tried that's simple and works?

Archived